IGNORED

Ifs, buts and Maybes

2 hours ago, RPG said:

I think 1 win and 4 draws sees us safe. Unfortunately, the one win may be the last game of the season and that makes for a nervous few weeks when we need to stick with the team.

Interesting, who do you think will drop into 18th spot. I think 35 points could be enough for survival as long as Leicester and Leeds don’t both score more than 6 from their last remaining games. 

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

The game before Villa snotted them. Just saying.

Only as good as your last game. 

edit: just watched their fame again. I'll put it down to awful defending (again) from spurs. 

NCL have kept the same back four for 23 of 26 games or something like that. Wish we had the full back talent that could let us pick a consistent back four. 

4 hours ago, RPG said:

I think the Leeds v Leicester game this week is pivotal. I think the one thing we don't want from that game is a draw. If there is a loser then we have to make sure we overtake them on Thursday (a point would do it if Leeds lose by at least 2 goals or if Leicester lose by any score) and stay above them thereafter.

I think Leeds are the team who will do worse. None the less a draw isn’t a bad result. We need to get a result at Leicester…. Simple as that 

10 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

Only as good as your last game. 

edit: just watched their fame again. I'll put it down to awful defending (again) from spurs. 

NCL have kept the same back four for 23 of 26 games or something like that. Wish we had the full back talent that could let us pick a consistent back four. 

I know but people panicking because they beat Spurs well is just ridiculous. The game before they got hammered themselves but it didn't stop them going on to batter the opposition the following game, and that win won't stop them going on to lose on Thursday.

The catastrophising being done by some of our fans is nauseating.

The fans cheering the coach into Goodison will pump the players up and send them out with fire in their bellies, Evertonian’s again will be leading by example and pushing their team over the line. The noise coming from fans at Palace was spine tingling god bless everyone of them best supporters in the world. 

12 hours ago, Palfy said:

The fans cheering the coach into Goodison will pump the players up and send them out with fire in their bellies, Evertonian’s again will be leading by example and pushing their team over the line. The noise coming from fans at Palace was spine tingling god bless everyone of them best supporters in the world. 

It's not a coach that the fans will be greeting, they'll be welcoming the players arriving in their cars.

For that reason I don't think it's going to be quite as impactful as they'll all be arriving at different times so it'll be a bit diluted.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's not a coach that the fans will be greeting, they'll be welcoming the players arriving in their cars.

For that reason I don't think it's going to be quite as impactful as they'll all be arriving at different times so it'll be a bit diluted.

Shit I thought it was decided to go back to the traditional everyone arriving on the team coach. Why wouldn’t they do that it sets the mood and energy for the game, everything that can be a positive should be used. 

12 hours ago, RPG said:

Now we have to beat Newcastle to improve our league position. A big ask against a very in form Newcastle team.

Not just improve our league position; we need to beat them to survive! A defeat or draw, I think we're down, irrespective of games left and who we play. This, to me, has the import of the Palace game last season, which is why I think we will win. This will not be our Waterloo! It's Newcastle who will surrender! 

4 hours ago, RPG said:

I don't think it is quite that important for the simple reason we still have 6 games to play. I do think it is important that we avoid defeat but a draw would not be the end of the world and is, I think, the likely result.

Dyche is getting us to safety one point at a time and, given our playing resources and other clubs fixtures, I think he is doing the right thing. We do need to keep our nerve though.

I certainly hope Dyche isn't thinking of a draw - five draws and defeat to City (33points) isn't going to keep us up. This is the game that matters. Win, then two wins from five (or four, if you discount City) is possible. It's a must-win for me.

2 hours ago, Formby said:

I certainly hope Dyche is thinking of a draw - five draws and defeat to City (33points) isn't going to keep us up. This is the game that matters. Win, then two wins from five (or four, if you discount City) is possible. It's a must-win for me  

A win would be ideal and not beyond us at home in the lights with the fans pushing the team over the line, yet a draw wouldn’t be good night Vienna it just means we have to beat Leicester on Monday night, and hope other games go our way, meaning Leeds losing their next game would be a great result. Brighton could be another point gained, City at home another point especially if they beat Arsenal they won’t be coming to us with a win or nothing attitude, Wolves away not as difficult as if they were playing to stay up, so a draw or win not to unrealistic. Then what could be the biggest game against Bournemouth in 57 years, hopefully we won’t need a win or draw there but if we do I wouldn’t bet against us if they are already safe and they should be. So if we only draw with Newcastle we could still amass 6-8 points before we play Bournemouth, but let’s say we only achieve 4-6 points before the Bournemouth game, then we would have 35-37 points if we needed to beat Bournemouth. I’d therefore say Newcastle is not a must win game. 

17 hours ago, RPG said:

Only if we beat Newcastle. If Leeds had won or Leicester had won by 2 then a draw v Newcastle would have improved our league position. Now we have to beat Newcastle to improve our league position. A big ask against a very in form Newcastle team.

But their draw keeps them both firmly within reach.  Who's to say which is going to take our place in 18th.  The more potential victims the better

59 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

But their draw keeps them both firmly within reach.  Who's to say which is going to take our place in 18th.  The more potential victims the better

Exactly. A win for either may have given us a short term boost… but it would have made survival more difficult.

A draw has meant we are on the tails of both and either could be dragged in.

If we need to beat the team currently third in the league (as a must win) to stay up then we are fucked. 
Getting anything out of that game is a bonus. The games against the teams around us are the must wins. A win against Newcastle would be huge, not sure how likely it is though.