IGNORED

Palace (away) 11th November

Matt

Unlike last week if we'd only taken a point today I would have been disappointed and critical of Dyche.

Palace are a decent side but they aren't a team that should be playing us off the park like Brighton. I wasn't so much bothered about conceding possession but I didn't like how much space we afforded them all game - we let them play and didn't get close enough to them often enough. And then you factor in that we'd taken the lead twice - you shouldn't be letting them back in the game after that second one. What a calamitous mistake that was from Tarkowski after he'd been so solid. Where last week I could understand why he didn't make subs I really felt like a couple were needed today. McNeil is offering very little this season and I thought he should have got him off and brought someone on that could run with the ball and give Palace something to worry about.

They're not big gripes about the team and manager, I just think we made things harder for ourselves than they needed to be today.

I am extremely happy with the three points though, they were very hard earned.

we have gone from a team who used to shit the bed and lose games like this time and time again, and now become to a team who don't really like to lose. 

Far from being the best performance, but scored 3 away goals and still won after being pegged back twice.

a very satisfying result, and like somebody else said it feels like a 2 or 3 point correction to the 9 home points we didn't really deserve to lose.

on the games played his season I think we can solidly say we are a very solid mid table team at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Boston Toffee said:

For us, it's ok and important to win ugly now and then. For n8w points are points 

I've been sick and tired of us for years trying to play Barcelona football, we just don't have the players to do it.

Playing and winning ugly is fine by me, it's the three points that count not how we get there :)!

Watching today's match, I thought the teams were well-matched, and we did well to win. Eze is a brilliant player and dominated Branthwaite in the first half. Indeed, the latter was the weak point in our defence, with Tarkowski making some fine moves to save us in the first half. Both Mykolenko and Young did well, I thought. In the second half, Branthwaite improved, maybe learning from incidents in the first half.

Harrison and McNeil aren't yet realizing their potential, although McNeil is partnering well with Mykolenko and Doucoure. You could tell Onana wasn't at full strength, so it was wise to replace him at half-time. Garner was workmanlike, but this wasn't his best game. DC-L was well silenced by the Palace defence; Beto was a live wire, and it might have been good to see him come on at half-time as well.

Despite grumbling from some, I thought the referee had an excellent game.

Starting the same players each week is beginning to pay off. Some of the build-up play in the first half, in particular, was excellent to watch. There's increasing confidence, and our balls into the box are really causing opponents trouble. Give it another month, and we could really be scoring more goals on a consistent basis. I can't wait for the holiday period; we could really move on up the table.

What a pity we didn't strengthen our offense until after the Fulham and Wolves games, which we could and should have won. With those additional six points, we'd be tied with Newcastle for seventh spot.

• Everton boss Sean Dyche has now won seven of his 16 Premier League matches against Crystal Palace (D4 L5). He has only recorded more victories against Bournemouth (8).

• Everton have scored more goals in the opening minute of Premier League games than any other side in the competition's history (13).

• Palace’s Odsonne Edouard has now scored as many Premier League goals this season (5) after 11 appearances as he did in the whole of last season (5 goals, 35 appearances).

• Vitaliy Mykolenko has scored two goals in his last two Premier League matches for Everton, which is twice as many as he managed in his previous 53 league appearances for the club (1).

• Of teams he has faced 15+ times in the Premier League, only against Tottenham Hotspur (4.8%), Arsenal (13.6%) and Liverpool (16.7%) does Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson have a worse win percentage than against Everton (17.4% - P23 W4 D7 L12).