IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I actually can't believe there are fans that want him back. He showed his true colours at the end of his time here and everything that's come after.

It wouldn't surprise me if the delay is him holding us to ransom like the lover of gravy did before coming in. That's the type of man he is.

I clapped him out of Goodison but I've not once clapped a return from him and I won't be changing that even if he's our next manager.

I know. I've gone full loop on it - never wanted him back, let's be clear - but had started to resign myself to it happening. Now that it hasn't happened already, hope is slowly creeping back!

We should go for Rafa ASAP. That's the most realistic option with proven record. 20m release(if that's true) is nothing. We paid that for Schneiderlin and double that for Siggy. I think Benitez would be interested too. With the spending power we provide, he got the chance to build our team on his own and resurrect his reputation within the football world. An opportunity he didn't had since he managed Valencia and Liverpool.

7 minutes ago, StevO said:

I keep seeing shouts of Rafa, but he plays very defensive football. Our fans would have him hounded out very very quickly. 
The Goodison crowd wouldn’t put up with the tactics employed at Newcastle. 

I think his tactics at Newcastle were based more on the players and his budget, he wasn’t like that at the shite. 

6 minutes ago, StevO said:

I keep seeing shouts of Rafa, but he plays very defensive football. Our fans would have him hounded out very very quickly. 
The Goodison crowd wouldn’t put up with the tactics employed at Newcastle. 

Absolutely. Expect to see 2 defensive midfielders every week as well not to mention zonal marking from corners.

I don't really know what to make of him. We would definitely improve under him and be more consistent and he is the type to adapt to the opposition more than our previous managers. His early years were very successful, he did well at Newcastle given what he had (Bruce isn't doing too badly with that squad seeing they sold their top 2 goalscorers).

1 hour ago, TallPaul1878 said:

The delay is him wanting a proper contract and not an interim position.

If it were me then I would want a proper position too. The players would know it's only a matter of time until he goes, it just doesn't work that way unless you are appointing someone from within.

So doing what the gravy guzzler did, like I said.

Until the end of the season is the absolute maximum he should get anyway. No chance should we even contemplate giving him a long term contract.

Hopefully it’s just bullshit rumours and we see him nowhere near the club.

People seem to think he’ll guarantee survival but he’s barely won a game since leaving us ffs! He’d be as big a gamble as rolling the dice on someone like Arteta. 

i would love ancelotti here, although he is well known as a man-manager and players manager.  not really well thought of as a tactician.  but former players rave about him.  ronaldo said he was like a second father to him.  Napoli are in free fall and the owner is carpet bombing his own club and players, i could see Ancelotti wanting out.  

24 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'd take Marcelino.  modern manager tactically and likes to attack.  just have to hope he adapts well to england.  we certainly have better players to work with than valencia.

Interesting to hear the chat that he's not keen on it.  Been out of work since September.  Last two longer term jobs he had a 50% win ratio, not bad.   I'm not plugged into the Spanish league or rumors, but wonder if he's either being lined up for something over there?

4 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

Interesting to hear the chat that he's not keen on it.  Been out of work since September.  Last two longer term jobs he had a 50% win ratio, not bad.   I'm not plugged into the Spanish league or rumors, but wonder if he's either being lined up for something over there?

i think it's the classic adage of living in warmer sunny spain with delicious food to moving to cold wet bangers and mash england.  

I have been thinking about who I would like and I think I would be happy with any manager that has a history of being successful in a competitve leagues. Not just a doing well as the best of the rest but winning leagues, or getting  lose to with teams they weren't expected to and then maintaining it. Preferably I would like to see an attacking brand of football, because I think you would need to know how to score goals to be successful,  but if it is someone that is a little more conservative like Benitez then that is fine. 

I don't want to see another one of these middling managers that has been around the block enough but never done it in the big leagues, I guess like Silva, Martinez and to an extent Koeman (Valencia cup win aside).

If the option is a middler or someone like Arteta then I'd have Arteta because if you are going to take a risk then at least make it so it could be worthwhile.

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If the option is a middler or someone like Arteta then I'd have Arteta because if you are going to take a risk then at least make it so it could be worthwhile.

I agree with what you said above, but Arteta is not a worthwhile risk. He has no managerial experience whatsoever and you call that a worthwhile risk, when our premier league status it at jeopardy? I'm surprised that many overlook Rafa as our next manager. The man has won 13 major trophies, including 2 La Liga titles and 4 UEFA cups. Is there anyone more experienced than him, that is within our reach at this particular moment!?

18 minutes ago, Haiku said:

He has no managerial experience whatsoever and you call that a worthwhile risk, when our premier league status it at jeopardy?

We're in the middle of a managerial and injury crises right now.  Come January we'll be sorted on both fronts and we will see reinforcements that will make us comfortably better than 5-10 other teams.  Always darkest before the dawn.  Could get a bit darker yet before Christmas (even through the FA cup match), but I'm not reaching for the life preservers just yet.

That said, Arteta is not my number 1.

1 hour ago, Haiku said:

I'm surprised that many overlook Rafa as our next manager. The man has won 13 major trophies, including 2 La Liga titles and 4 UEFA cups. Is there anyone more experienced than him, that is within our reach at this particular moment!?

He's the Everton of Management - A museum. Sorry, but football like anything else evolves and moves on. Winning 2 La Liga titles almost 20 years ago means nothing to us now. Most the things he won were in a 5 year period almost 15 years ago! What won you titles in that 5 year period clearly doesn't win them now. It means absolutely nothing. This obsession that the next manager must have won something major is a blind objective.

The bloke would have been plucked from Newcastle if he was still relevant.

But my main problem is that I don't believe he has that hunger anymore. He went to China for a big payday. Pro's do shit like that purely for money and/or when they know they are ready to wind their career down.

Plus I've never liked him anyway 🤣

4 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Plus I've never liked him anyway 🤣

Well now it’s starting to make sense😀

I think we need someone like him to keep us in the league and steady the ship, we find ourselves in a very precarious position and to bring in unknown quantity at this time could easily cost us our place in the PL. 

I wouldn’t advocate giving him a 3 or 4 year contract, just 18 months to make sure we finish this season safely and then get some decent stability next season. 

1 hour ago, Haiku said:

I agree with what you said above, but Arteta is not a worthwhile risk. He has no managerial experience whatsoever and you call that a worthwhile risk, when our premier league status it at jeopardy? I'm surprised that many overlook Rafa as our next manager. The man has won 13 major trophies, including 2 La Liga titles and 4 UEFA cups. Is there anyone more experienced than him, that is within our reach at this particular moment!?

I don't think we will get relegated and I think know he will have learnt enough under Pep (and Wenger) make sure we don't. He also knows the league and the club. 

Above all else I just don't want to be in this same situation again in 18-24 months with a manager that has a CV that looks better than it is based mainly on good performances in weak leagues. If Arteta got the job and it didn't work, at least we had tried to get someone in that had the potential to be a great manager for the club rather than someone who would lead us back into the same position eventually. 

26 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Arteta in charge with Cahill in support, as suggested by Sibdane, still gets my vote. 

This won’t happen on the basis of us being in the bottom three and both being unproven as managers. A fairy tail story but would be a bold move.

Moyes with Arteta/Cahill as number two would be more likely.

9 hours ago, MC11 said:

This won’t happen on the basis of us being in the bottom three and both being unproven as managers. A fairy tail story but would be a bold move.

Moyes with Arteta/Cahill as number two would be more likely.

I actually wouldn’t mind that. Moyes to stabilise things with an eye to the future with either Arteta or Cahill.

18 hours ago, Sibdane said:

I'm reading rumours of Ancelloti now. Would prefer him over the rest of the dross that's been mentioned, including Moyes. 

Can't see it though. 

Wanted him before Koeman to show some actual ambition. I’d be made up if we got him.