IGNORED

Aaron Ramsey

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Just did some quick numbers for the last 4 seasons in all comps.

Juve = 15 x 90mins

18/19 = 24 x 90 mins

17/18 = 27 x 90 mins

16/17 = 22 x 90 mins

Sometimes the number of games played is misleading. Bearing in mind the number of games those sides play (50+) would having Ramsey for say 20 games a season be worth the cost? 

That might be the case, but if he’s available for selection he isn’t injured too much.

Assuming those 90 minutes are games he has started and finished? So wouldn’t include if he started a match but was subbed off in like the 80th minute? 

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Those are premier league only matches?  Or cups and euro matches as well?  Likely the latter.  Then it’s not so impressive.  Still a no from me the wages would be exorbitant 

They were total matches, but so were the Everton stats. My point being that someone who is injury prone still played more games than the majority of our team. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

That might be the case, but if he’s available for selection he isn’t injured too much.

Assuming those 90 minutes are games he has started and finished? So wouldn’t include if he started a match but was subbed off in like the 80th minute? 

Sorry StevO, I was rushing so didn't explain them very well. I counted his total minutes and divided them by 90 to work out how many "complete" games that would be. For example for Juve he played around 1300 minutes in total in all comps. 

Info taken from transfermarkt.

51 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Sorry StevO, I was rushing so didn't explain them very well. I counted his total minutes and divided them by 90 to work out how many "complete" games that would be. For example for Juve he played around 1300 minutes in total in all comps. 

Info taken from transfermarkt.

Fair enough mate, that’s solid info. 

For the record I’m not trying to make a case to sign him, though his quality is not in doubt, but I went looking at his appearances to see just how much football he misses for someone so injury prone. After seeing the numbers I think he’s played quite a lot of football for someone who is considered to be injury prone. It’s made me not feel so against bringing him in if Carlo wanted him. 

51 minutes ago, StevO said:

Fair enough mate, that’s solid info. 

For the record I’m not trying to make a case to sign him, though his quality is not in doubt, but I went looking at his appearances to see just how much football he misses for someone so injury prone. After seeing the numbers I think he’s played quite a lot of football for someone who is considered to be injury prone. It’s made me not feel so against bringing him in if Carlo wanted him. 

To be honest, I feel a similar way as I didn't realise Arsenal had got that many games out of him.

I don't see it happening and he isn't a player I would target when considering his cost but I wouldn't be disappointed if we did sign him.

I think he must be one of those player that must pick up frequent 'knocks' that keep them out for a month or so at a time. Just in his DNA - I would imagine that it would continue with us. Doesn't seem to be out for long, its just fairly frequent. 

I know he is a hard working player and has really good quality - my fear would be how well motivated would he be coming to us for Juventus and Arsenal - being pessimistic we are at least a couple of season from being a team that might kick up some kind of domestic challenge for top 4's or cups etc. Will he be 'hungry' in an Everton shirt - If it turns out he is not, then it might be hard to ship him out on the sort of wages we would have to pay. Juventus are willing to let him go on a free when they may have already coughed up a decent sign on fee - why?. He still has 4 years left on a lucrative contract  - we are at least going to have to offer him 4years on big wages, just for him to be breaking even. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

He’s a better player than Gomes. And I rate Gomes highly. 

Agreed. He is an excellent player. My only worry is a niggling feeling something is wrong. He doesn't seem injury prone, but seems to attract that tag. 
It’s just leaving me with that feeling that we should avoid if I’m honest.

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

Agreed. He is an excellent player. My only worry is a niggling feeling something is wrong. He doesn't seem injury prone, but seems to attract that tag. 
It’s just leaving me with that feeling that we should avoid if I’m honest.

I feel the same - great player, but somehow feel it might not workout. This could be that if feels like Everton would be a step backward for him - so why would he be want to come. Thus might be paranoia given the volume of high profile duds we are still trying to get rid off. 

maybe I should be a bit more optimistic, a good 5 -6 seasons left in a player like him, move in to  a more defensive role a bit like Arteta did at Arsenal - Ramsey would do that role excellently. 

I don't think we are in for him to be honest - just one of those stories. 

• 10 months later...

I really rate Aaron Ramsey, but he's on £400,000 p/w at Juventus so would need to significantly drop his wages to come here, I think the max I would be happy with us paying him is £100,000 p/w which when you then sit back and think about could potentially be used to bring younger players into the side.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/07/aaron-ramsey-insists-fitness-for-wales-no-problem-in-veiled-swipe-at-juventus

As a welshman, I do follow Ramsey and watch the Wales games. He is still a very classy midfeilder and would massively improve us in the immediate term. He always puts a shift in and is a very versitle player.

A bit of a risk, but if free then could be a shrewd bit of business.