IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Let's be clear on this chaps... lukaku is a top finisher and teams will drop deeper out of concern for him. So I would have him in.... but drop him like a stone if he wandered around. 

DCL doesn't have that level of notoriety.  Having said that DCL is a far better support player than Rom. He leads the line exceptionally well. I haven't seen a 19 year old play that role with such aggression/physicality since Alan Smith was at leeds. 

DCL is going to be a very very very good player. It looks like big dunc has been schooling him.  His back to goal play, control and ability to leap is outstanding. He has nice feet on him too.

The kid looks like a boy band member but he can rough it big time. 

6 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Let's be clear on this chaps... lukaku is a top finisher and teams will drop deeper out of concern for him. So I would have him in.... but drop him like a stone if he wandered around. 

DCL doesn't have that level of notoriety.  Having said that DCL is a far better support player than Rom. He leads the line exceptionally well. I haven't seen a 19 year old play that role with such aggression/physicality since Alan Smith was at leeds. 

DCL is going to be a very very very good player. It looks like big dunc has been schooling him.  His back to goal play, control and ability to leap is outstanding. He has nice feet on him too.

The kid looks like a boy band member but he can rough it big time. 

In all seriousness, he doesn't win a lot of headers you know but he is still very young  and will only get better.

23 hours ago, hafnia said:

He doesn't score goals out of nothing he needs service. Every single goal for United has been put on a plate for him. 

DCL has been a far better outlet than lukaku has proven to be in the last 3 years.  It's just our manager hasn't used him right... he played him on the flank or not at all. 

I would argue that koemans persistence in using Rooney as a hybrid striker midfielder has cost us big.  It does not work at all. 

FINALLY!

On 9/26/2017 at 01:08, hafnia said:

The lad just needs to get used to his newly found prowess.  His vertical leap is insane.  He could probably dunc a basketball. 

You know who could definitely dunk a basketball? Lukaku. 

That said, I'd hope DCL can, too, given that he's a 6'2" professional athlete.

How anyone can say he wasn’t quality is embarrassing for them. Probably a case of saying something they soon regretted but instead carried on regardless. Another game, another goal! As a person don’t like him, as a player, quality and unfortunately probably will get even better. 

I know some people think that even if he was still here he wouldn't have made a difference because we're not creating, but we've missed a few sitters of our paltry chances, and I would put every penny I have that he'd have put a few of them away. I'm thinking he puts at least one of the chances Rooney and Sig fluffed against United, and the one for DCL last night.

16 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I know some people think that even if he was still here he wouldn't have made a difference because we're not creating, but we've missed a few sitters of our paltry chances, and I would put every penny I have that he'd have put a few of them away. I'm thinking he puts at least one of the chances Rooney and Sig fluffed against United, and the one for DCL last night.

For me it's more simple than that; the team knew if they could create him a chance, he'd most likely score. We don't have anyone in the team who looks like they consistently score and I think it's having an effect on confidence as well as the clueless "creativity"

8 minutes ago, hafnia said:

When the manager sticks DCL on the bench and has ostracized our only other true striker then it's not like we are gonna have a good basis for comparison. 

Agreed but it's not so much about comparison, more observation. This year we have no goal scoring threat because we didn't replace the guy with anyone and have bizarrely treated two strikers as bit part players in order to shoehorn "big names" into the squad too

2 minutes ago, hafnia said:

There is a combination of really odd decisions made by koeman.

It's bigger than the lukaku in or out situation.... it really is. 

No doubt about that, Haf, but there's also no doubt in my mind we'd be better off if we still had him, or had bothered to sign an actual replacement.