IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

How many were from open play?

Here we go. Next big Toffeetalk debate to the death: London Blue vs Romey on Gylfi Sigurdsson. I knew it had gone a bit quiet! :lol:

Just teasing, by the way. 

I'm quiet undecided on Sigurdsson - he has a quality delivery (not sure we've seen him) and Swansea fans seem to praise him, but he's yet to work himself into a single match for us.

49 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

His general play isn’t that good. His stats are skewed massively due to set-pieces. From open play he’s not that useful.

None of what has transpired should be a surprise to anyone. He’s slow because he’s always been slow. He’s shit out wide now because he’s always been shit out wide. He’s anonymous during games now because he’s mostly been anonymous during games unless there’s a set-piece to take. 

We massively overpaid for a player with a very specific skill set that we can’t take advantage of. 

Spot on.

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

How many were from open play?

It's very very few. It was posted on this thread somewhere.

Those hoping that him playing for a more in form team are also clutching at straws because he was in a struggling team last season too. 

It's a bit like Rooney. If he was in a team full of pace, it might work but we aren't and we have too many similar players now. Such a waste of money.

7 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Here we go. Next big Toffeetalk debate to the death: London Blue vs Romey on Gylfi Sigurdsson. I knew it had gone a bit quiet! :lol:

Just teasing, by the way. 

I'm quiet undecided on Sigurdsson - he has a quality delivery (not sure we've seen him) and Swansea fans seem to praise him, but he's yet to work himself into a single match for us.

Won’t happen, Quinn, I cba repeating myself over and over just wording it in a different way. 

I said before we signed him that he wasn’t the right signing for us because he wasn’t the creative player we were craving. Sure he’ll whip in a nice corner or free-kick, but what we needed was someone to do it from open play in order to challenge Barkley (if he stayed) or improve on what Barkley offers.

Gylfi isn’t that player, he was never going to be and he never will be. 

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Won’t happen, Quinn, I cba repeating myself over and over just wording it in a different way. 

I said before we signed him that he wasn’t the right signing for us because he wasn’t the creative player we were craving. Sure he’ll whip in a nice corner or free-kick, but what we needed was someone to do it from open play in order to challenge Barkley (if he stayed) or improve on what Barkley offers.

An assist is an assist.

Anyway in the interests of brevity below is a link to all his goals and assists last season, people can watch and make their own minds up...

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Love the the way you used an acronym for "can't be arsed", and did the rest of the post as normal with perfect grammar. :lol::worship:

10 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Fair enough. I don't think I'm going to fully condemn any of the new signings as "not good enough" or "not the right player" (besides Cuco) until closer to the summer, but I think it's a decent shout to say that Gylfi's set piece prowess makes him a great fit for West Brom/Palace/Swansea or any lower half team that needs to create from set pieces, but maybe not for a side with our ambition. Time will tell.

11 minutes ago, London Blue said:

An assist is an assist.

Anyway in the interests of brevity below is a link to all his goals and assists last season, people can watch and make their own minds up...

That it is but, like I said, it’s creativity from open play that we were lacking. It’s frustrating when we have a shit corner delivery or a terrible free-kick delivery, but it’s not the end of the world. Struggling to create chances in general play will get you relegated. We went after Gylfi like he was going to be this creative demon and he’s just not that player. 

Ive said it before, he’s a decent player and I’d have liked him here as a complimentary sort of player, but we hung everything on his signing. Wrongly in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Love the the way you used an acronym for "can't be arsed", and did the rest of the post as normal with perfect grammar. :lol::worship:

You’re welcome :P 

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

That it is but, like I said, it’s creativity from open play that we were lacking. It’s frustrating when we have a shit corner delivery or a terrible free-kick delivery, but it’s not the end of the world. Struggling to create chances in general play will get you relegated. We went after Gylfi like he was going to be this creative demon and he’s just not that player. 

Ive said it before, he’s a decent player and I’d have liked him here as a complimentary sort of player, but we hung everything on his signing. Wrongly in my opinion. 

You’re welcome :P 

Fair enough.

An assist is only as good as the person on the end of it.

when we were bidding for him, people put up a stat that showed had covered the most mileage in the premier league.... that’s where I have been surprised. 

He seems slow and not very mobile. He doesn’t seem to be this high intensity pressure player that those stats made him out to be, much like Klaassen.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

An assist is only as good as the person on the end of it.

when we were bidding for him, people put up a stat that showed had covered the most mileage in the premier league.... that’s where I have been surprised. 

He seems slow and not very mobile. He doesn’t seem to be this high intensity pressure player that those stats made him out to be, much like Klaassen.

He still runs around a lot, he just doesn't tend to actually get anywhere near his man or the ball.

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He still runs around a lot, he just doesn't tend to actually get anywhere near his man or the ball.

I think it has to do with the players around him. I know you'll disagree, but he's a player that relies on an intelligent player (Llorente) in front him, and he just doesn't have that at the moment. I think if we get a proper striker in the January window we'll see his fortunes change.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Paddock said:

I can forgive his start- the whole teams been utter shite he’s picking up a bit as is the team- long may that continue. I feel he’ll always be on to a loser here though because of his price tag which wasn’t his fault and that’s a real shame.

He'll never live up to his price tag because he's just not that good, but there's a lot in him that he can give and we must get out of him.

28 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He'll never live up to his price tag because he's just not that good, but there's a lot in him that he can give and we must get out of him.

No he’as not but it’s unfair to hold the pricetag against him- he had no control over that whatsoever.