IGNORED

Ross Barkley

I know, Ross ruined it; pic of me would've been far better without his mug detracting. That's life,

Can't believe he gave you all that info though. You must have just been in the right place at the right time.

Glad the confusion has been cleared though. Now we can all move back to the Lukaku thread (of which Haf has gone on strike...think he noticed the live post count down!!!)

Definitely shouldn't be offering him what we've offered Lukaku but, like Shukes said, Koeman has said over and over that he wants Barkley to stay, so I'm not sure how it undermines him - they'd just be doing what Koeman what wants really.

I have a bit of theory on this. Koeman like most Dutch managers prefer 4-3-3, now he has said he would prefer to keep Ross but i have a feeling that if RK get's all of his targets in over the summer i can't see Barkley being a first team starter in that system unless he plays out wide supporting the striker which means he has to vastly improve on his goal scoring ability and fast. This makes me wonder whether Kenwright is possibly(and i mean possibly) said to Ross that he would be a garunteed starter or even captain if he signs a new contract, we all know what Bill can be like at times. that is the one way i can see that this story may have come about, we will have to just wait and see. Also some stories today that we will sign another DM, a guy called Dendoncker, not sure why surely we have enough already

Souness on Ross in the Sunday Times today.

'.......He is too easy to play against, is very poor at making positions, and tends to go towards the ball all the time. And when he gives up possession he doesn't know how to react by finding the space that has to be filled. Sadly, I haven't seen any improvement in Barkley during the past two seasons.

'.......He is too easy to play against, is very poor at making positions, and tends to go towards the ball all the time. And when he gives up possession he doesn't know how to react by finding the space that has to be filled. Sadly, I haven't seen any improvement in Barkley during the past two seasons.

If Souness doesn't rate him he must be pretty damn good!

I'm not much of a Barkley fan, for exactly the sorts of reasons cited above. But I am willing to rationalize being ok if he signs a new contract with Everton. For me, it would be a rationalization, and it would be merely "ok," with no real enthusiasm.

So, anticipating that Barkley continues to play for Everton for the next several seasons, my (rationalized) expectation is that his marvelous physical skills (impressive balance, power, dribbling, the occasional brilliant pass, the occasional brilliant goal) will somewhat outweigh his dismaying limitations. There's reason to expect that his skills won't diminish, and may even grow, in the next few years, and to hope (if not fully predict) he improves in one or more of the areas where he's weak, actually a liability.

Ross wastes so, so much energy running around two steps behind the play (as above, "doesn't know how ... to find the space that has to be filled"). For someone who exhibits intermittent brilliance on the ball, he is perpetually clueless off the ball. I'm always impressed by players (in several sports) who have a special sense/feel for where the ball/play will go next. Most players, I guess, are average in this regard; Ross seems well below average. I don't know - doubt, actually - whether he'll ever improve in this area.

Will he use his power dibbling to get off shots more frequently - actual shots, some of which might go toward the net - and quit his maddening over-clever over-dribbling? We can hope, though so far, as above, "I haven't seen any improvement" in this area.

I hope, usually desperately, to find Barkley in the box more, for headers, Naismith-poaching. Why isn't he more aggressive in overpowering defenders in the box? Why isn't he meaner? He looks stronger than he plays. Not good.

So, I can convince myself that Barkley's wonderful skills will not suddenly disappear, and that there's plenty of opportunity for him to improve in several key areas. If we're to sign him, I have to be optimistic. Right?

Ye the still Scores goals and gets assists... easy.

It doesn't undermine him, but it does reveal the folly of making public threats. 1) Such demands to sign should never be done publicly, and (2) if you make a threat, you have to follow through on it (as any parent knows).

1) He hasn't demanded he sign, he has said that because he only has one year left on his contract, if a new contract is not signed, then he'll have to be sold. This is football...or as you know it, business. He has said he wants him to stay.

2) He hadn't made a threat. He had said that of Barkley does not sign a new contract, he'll have to be sold, as he only has a year left on his contract. This is how football works. That 'threat' may still be followed through on.

I'm not keen on the way it was done and talked about, but he's a spade is a spade kind of guy, and gets asked repeatedly the same thing.

1) He hasn't demanded he sign, he has said that because he only has one year left on his contract, if a new contract is not signed, then he'll have to be sold. This is football...or as you know it, business. He has said he wants him to stay.

2) He hadn't made a threat. He had said that of Barkley does not sign a new contract, he'll have to be sold, as he only has a year left on his contract. This is how football works. That 'threat' may still be followed through on.

I'm not keen on the way it was done and talked about, but he's a spade is a spade kind of guy, and gets asked repeatedly the same thing.

You're wasting your time mate- Steve is hell bent on discrediting Koeman as he took over from his golden boy and is bit by bit exposing him as the inept clown he always was.

Ross needs the right manager to unleash him. Hopefully it's here

i used to think that matt, but i don't anymore. he had martinez and grew leaps and bounds, played excellent and got england call ups. on his day he was great, but his weakness was inconsistency. with koeman it's been the same thing, on his day he's great, but he's inconsistent. we say the same thing about Kevin Mirallas all the time, and many other players. I think he hit the ceiling of his talent and what we've seen with RM and RK has seen about what he offers. I don't think we should treat him any different than mirallas, solid role player to start or sub and just hope those "on his day" days outnumber his bad ones. not worth building a team around.

what age does promise turn into unfulfilled promise?

Edited by markjazzbassist

i used to think that matt, but i don't anymore. he had martinez and grew leaps and bounds, played excellent and got england call ups. on his day he was great, but his weakness was inconsistency. with koeman it's been the same thing, on his day he's great, but he's inconsistent. we say the same thing about Kevin Mirallas all the time, and many other players. I think he hit the ceiling of his talent and what we've seen with RM and RK has seen about what he offers. I don't think we should treat him any different than mirallas, solid role player to start or sub and just hope those "on his day" days outnumber his bad ones. not worth building a team around.

what age does promise turn into unfulfilled promise?

I think you're right on this.

I think he had one good season under Martinez followed by two very poor seasons.

Some of the football he has played under Koeman is much much better than anything he played under Martinez for me. He isn't going to score a worldy every week and he won't always be playing killer passes, but he's now much more useful with the ball and a better team player.

I think he had one good season under Martinez followed by two very poor seasons.

Some of the football he has played under Koeman is much much better than anything he played under Martinez for me. He isn't going to score a worldy every week and he won't always be playing killer passes, but he's now much more useful with the ball and a better team player.

Fair enough Steve. I think he was better under Martinez, more creative and scored more but to each his own.

Still waiting on contract news, I'm surprised the club hasn't said anything by now. Still on holiday?

Edited by markjazzbassist

That's the thing though Mark. He's never been a player to get lots of assists and goal.

In his last four seasons his goal return in the league was 5, 8, 2 and 6 (most recent first).

His assists were 8, 8, 2 and 1.

The player people are expecting to see, acreative attacking midfielder should be in double figures for both goals and assists.

In his last season in the league he averaged 2.3 key passes per game, against 1.5, 1.1 and 0.8 in the three seasons previous.

His game has changed, he is involved more in the game. Not just getting the ball, beating a man and getting a shot off like he used to. He's picking better passes, he's linking play. He may not be picking up the goals, but he still matches his highest assist total. He's becoming more tactically aware. Not just going on to the pitch and doing what he likes, which was the whole game plan in his first two years under Roberto. He's now less of the spectacular, more functional. Yes, he still has his bad games, he's still inconsistent. But from our attacking options who isn't?

The more rounded player we have now doesn't catch the eye as much, he won't be hogging the highlight reel, but he'll have a greater influence on the result.

I agree StevO. His game is about power and having control of a game. He looks good in the same type of game Yaya Toure would, one he can dictate and doesn't have to worry too much about the opposition (in central midfield).

Edited by Bailey

You're wasting your time mate- Steve is hell bent on discrediting Koeman as he took over from his golden boy and is bit by bit exposing him as the inept clown he always was.

I know. Shame though as I always had Steve as a more level headed poster until this season, with this almost constant man management obsession.

I know. Shame though as I always had Steve as a more level headed poster until this season, with this almost constant man management obsession.

He supports Roberto- if he had gone to Liverpool, he would be posting on RAWK now, that's why he hates Koeman so much.