IGNORED

Pienaar

He was definitely trying last night. For me it's his body and only that

maybe so. his slow play and constant foul drawing really break down the attack and momentum though. if he was central and more pirlo-esque, sure go ahead and walk/jog the match and just pass it around and draw fouls to stop them, but when he's on the wing i think it just gives the defense more time to mobilize and get into the proper spots to snuff us out. i'd rather have full speed wingers, holdup striker and then ross and the 10 doing the pirlo passing and moving the ball.

People moan that our side lacks creativity but as soon as we get someone who takes a risk or two to make something happen the same people come down on him like a ton of bricks

You're talking like he's a new signing. I've loved his contribution for years because he took risks and made things happen, but he's become a shadow of what he was sadly. Another back-heel to nobody and I'll happily strangle him.

People moan that our side lacks creativity but as soon as we get someone who takes a risk or two to make something happen the same people come down on him like a ton of bricks

This isn't the barkley thread, this is the pienaar thread. The guy who competes with gibson for training table king. The guy who is beaten by bill kenwright in a foot race. The guy who hasn't looked like pre-Spurs pienaar for 2 years now.

Edited by markjazzbassist

I thought he showed some nice touches and ideas on Thursday. He gave a few away but he's just coming back.

His knee does look dodgy with all that strapping. It's not a great sign.

I'm not sure he deserves the full lashing here???

With Newty on this :P

It's fitness and if he can't get fit I'll agree he possibly won't be a big player for us anymore! However I'm 99% certain if he can get fit & free of injury he can still have a huge impact.

With Newty on this :P

It's fitness and if he can't get fit I'll agree he possibly won't be a big player for us anymore! However I'm 99% certain if he can get fit & free of injury he can still have a huge impact.

I think the term your looking for is match fit :) this proves the fruitless debate on the Kone thread

I think the term your looking for is match fit :) this proves the fruitless debate on the Kone thread

It proves nothings the sort . Pienaar can be considered match fit as he's been playing in matches. However his knee is still heavily strapped therefore he's not fully fit..... :)

I dont think that was the case against Krasnodar though Dunc. For me he didnt take enough risks. He tried his stupid flicks here and there but he had opportunities to play forward passes and cut through midfield and he turned it down and went backwards. That was the difference between him having a good game and a bad game. He hesitated, didnt play the pass when he should have and either slowed the tempo right down or lost the ball unnecessarily when the ball should have been released. If he plays the pass, he doesnt get caught out and we dont get caught out with people too far ahead of the ball and then he walks off the pitch having pulled the strings.

• 1 month later...

I've never been Peanuts biggest fan but it's becoming clearer to me how much he is missed.

He the antithesis of a YouTube player. He rarely does anything special in a way that a Barkley or Miralles does.

However...

Look at the threat Baines had when Peanuts was in front of him. That's totally gone now and Baines has half the effect he used.

Baines was the provider en-mass and its largely dried up.

Unfortunately I think Pienaars legs have now totally gone and he needs to be replaced but I what I'd give for the vintage Baines-Peanuts duo again.

We miss this little fella so badly.

we would if he was actually able to play. 10 appearances this season, some being dire cameos from the bench, is not really something to miss.

We've got one decent midfield occupying the physio table between him and Gibson. I'll say the same for both of them; very talented players when they are fit. Since they rarely are, I say sell and put the 105k a week in wages they cost somewhere else.