IGNORED

Pienaar

we would if he was actually able to play. 10 appearances this season, some being dire cameos from the bench, is not really something to miss.

We've got one decent midfield occupying the physio table between him and Gibson. I'll say the same for both of them; very talented players when they are fit. Since they rarely are, I say sell and put the 105k a week in wages they cost somewhere else.

This would be ok if I was basing it on his performances this season. I'm not.

We miss Pienaar in general. Basing it on him in form.

This would be ok if I was basing it on his performances this season. I'm not.

We miss Pienaar in general. Basing it on him in form.

on past form I completely agree he's a good player, but he has to be fit (which he isn't) before he even has a chance at finding his past form (which is certainly no guarantee). For 3.2m a year, he's an expensive "what if" to keep around. Shame really, we need his clever link up play.

• 2 months later...

Will always bring out that little bit extra from Baines.

Both he and Baines are far from their best, but you never know they could finish with a good season between them.

We wouldn't get much for Pienaar now, so we might as well hope he's got a season in him.

At his best the man was class.

• 3 weeks later...

This is what worries me. Apart from Distin and Alcaraz who are out of contract I can see everyone else staying even though they're well past it. Likes of McGeady will still be here as he thinks they're 'magicians' or whatever adjective springs to his mind. He needs to get rid of these and rebuild our squad. Too many deadwood here. Losing confidence in him though, I really am.

This is what worries me. Apart from Distin and Alcaraz who are out of contract I can see everyone else staying even though they're well past it. Likes of McGeady will still be here as he thinks they're 'magicians' or whatever adjective springs to his mind. He needs to get rid of these and rebuild our squad. Too many deadwood here. Losing confidence in him though, I really am.

This is my worry. Anyone thinking Kone, Mcgeady et al will be moved on this summer is sorely mistaken they're all new signings and going nowhere.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Alcaraz get a 3 year deal with a string of superlatives coming from Martinez moth when it's announced.

Although I concede that putting full trust in Roberto's public gibberish is foolish, his comment re Pienaar was that he wanted to see Pienaar have "a positive campaign" next season. As do I, as it seems very likely that Pienaar will be here for one more season. I doubt that Roberto is actually counting on Pienaar to start every match.

The Pienaar "issue," like the McGeady issue, is affected by whether, and which of, Lennon and Mirallas will play for Everton next season. I hope both Mirallas and Lennon are here, though the vibes seem to be clearer that Lennon would like to be here, whereas Mirallas may still be looking for a CL club above all other considerations.

So, under a scenario in which Lennon is here but Mirallas not, I could maintain some enthusiasm for a squad featuring Lennon as main RM, backed by McGeady (unlikely to move, I assume), with LM shared by Pienaar (first choice most games if healthy), backed by Oviedo and .... Garbutt. I want to see Garbutt get real time on the pitch, some at LM, a little at LB. Need to sign Garbutt. No news on this is a big worry.

If -- if -- our LMs next season are Pienaar, Oviedo, and Garbutt, and if -- if -- those 3 all get to play some, I could accept the disappointing departure of Mirallas.

I would prefer to see McGeady moved out, with Atsu, here either permanently or another loan, backing Lennon. I guess I can't afford to give up totally on McGeady, as he's likely to be here, but Atsu looks much more exciting. Deulofeu? Who knows?

As much as I've loved watching him over the years he's not the player of old and I'd rather see him moved on personally and recoup what little we possibly could

As others have said he needs to clear out a fair few players which is easier said than done transfer kitty pending but the likes of Mcgeady Piernaar Kone Distin Alcaraz and possibly Gibson sadly due to injuries and maybe even Howard

He's got a massive summer transfer window ahead if he's going to go down the route that most pray he does and have a clear out

I know it won't be anything near to this but these are the ones I would personally get rid of.

McGeady, Howard, Pienaar, Alcaraz, Distin, Kone, Atsu, McAleny, Hibbert, Gibson.

As I said earlier, I can only realistically see Distin and Alcaraz leaving will all of the others staying. If we want to be challenging next season for a top 4 spot then none of the above are good enough for the squad let alone first team. (Gibson might be but with his injury record I think we should cash in).

I want to sign Lennon on a permanent, keep Mirallas and sign another 2 wingers. We need 2 Centre Halves, 1 to be decent cover and another long term partner for Stones. We need a RB cover for Coleman so another 1 there. I want to replace Howard with a good goalkeeper, keep Joel as number 2 (1 Keeper). We need a CM who can pass forwards and create chances for our forwards whilst keeping McCarthy, Besic and Barry. We need a playmaker who can open defences with his vision as well as chip in with goals. We need 2 strikers. 1 young propsect who can challenge and another genuine striker who can fill in for Lukaku.

So, in my opinion we need:

1 Gk

1 RB cover

2 CBs

1 CM

2 Wingers

1 AM

2 CF

That's getting 10 in to replace the 10 dead wood we have here already who I've named. As I said, I'm not getting my hopes up as I know deep down we haven't got the funds plus I don't think Martinez has the bottle to tell some they have no future here.

Edited by Geth

Sorry, but IF we sign 10 players over the summer (and we all know that's a massive if) either:

a) Quite a few of those signings will be youngsters to sit in the reserves and will get there chance in the future, or

B) Our squad will look ridiculously disjointed, aka Spurs post Bale and Liverpool post Suarez, and large amounts of that money will be wasted.

Without any European football and assuming we can keep ahold of our key players I'd be happy for us to just add Lennon, a solid, reliable back up CB, a playmaker of real quality and ideally a better back up for Lukaku over the summer. If Mirallas or any other starter were to leave they'd need replacing too.

Sorry, but IF we sign 10 players over the summer (and we all know that's a massive if) either:

a) Quite a few of those signings will be youngsters to sit in the reserves and will get there chance in the future, or

B) Our squad will look ridiculously disjointed, aka Spurs post Bale and Liverpool post Suarez, and large amounts of that money will be wasted.

Without any European football and assuming we can keep ahold of our key players I'd be happy for us to just add Lennon, a solid, reliable back up CB, a playmaker of real quality and ideally a better back up for Lukaku over the summer. If Mirallas or any other starter were to leave they'd need replacing too.

Agree with this entirely. Whilst we do need a major overhaul bringing in 6 or 7 first teamers all at once never works they all need time to settle in.

For me, lose Howard, Distin, Alcaraz, Mcgeady, Atsu, Kone.

Bring in a new keeper, new cb new playmaker back up winger (Ayew on a free would be a massive bonus) and a reliable back up striker.

Keep Lennon and Mirallas.

Next season have a new keeper in place, Besic or Gibson for Barry, Mirallas and Lennon on either wing Barkley behind Lukaku.

Bench would have a new look but first 11 very similar. Robles on bench, browning or Garbut new back up cb, gibson new winger, new playmaker new back up striker

I think the first team isn't too far off it's a strong bench we need when we get injuries or need to rotate we need players of equal quality to step in and players knowing if they aren't right on top of their game they'll be ousted by the player of similar quality and ability.

Sounds easy doesn't it :lol:

Unfortunately it wont be. I'd even keep Pienaar and Osman to fight for a place on the bench.

Agree with this entirely. Whilst we do need a major overhaul bringing in 6 or 7 first teamers all at once never works they all need time to settle in.

For me, lose Howard, Distin, Alcaraz, Mcgeady, Atsu, Kone.

Bring in a new keeper, new cb new playmaker back up winger (Ayew on a free would be a massive bonus) and a reliable back up striker.

Keep Lennon and Mirallas.

Next season have a new keeper in place, Besic or Gibson for Barry, Mirallas and Lennon on either wing Barkley behind Lukaku.

Bench would have a new look but first 11 very similar. Robles on bench, browning or Garbut new back up cb, gibson new winger, new playmaker new back up striker

I think the first team isn't too far off it's a strong bench we need when we get injuries or need to rotate we need players of equal quality to step in and players knowing if they aren't right on top of their game they'll be ousted by the player of similar quality and ability.

Sounds easy doesn't it :lol:

Unfortunately it wont be. I'd even keep Pienaar and Osman to fight for a place on the bench.

Agree with most of this im afraid ossie and pienar would have to go legs have gone for the prem

I would bring in jon joe shelvey forward moving can pick a pass and can shoot and unlike Gibson stays fit

I like the fact he has an edge about him, and would be in our price range.

I personally would trust the staff if they decided to get just the one CB as first team cover with Galloway/browning the second CB mentioned earlier.

RB and striker back ups scare me the most right now. It's either got be Trippier or even Valencia ( who would cover both Rb and wing )

With the outfield players we need to sign. I would hold off on the keeper until next season, it's a risk but if we haven't got the funds for an out and out quality keeper then I would rather us not waste the money..

Guest rusty747

Definitely keep Peanuts another year. Same goes for Ossie and Hibbo. Distin and Alcaraz have to go and I think we need to replace them with one quality, proven cb and have either, or both, of Galloway and Browning step up to the first team squad.

It might be time, also, to revisit the 'Baines into dm role' argument again. It would provide an opportunity for Garbutt, which I think he deserves whilst keeping Baines in the first team.

Definitely need to sign Lennon on a permanent contract and we also need another quality cf. not sure if anyone from the U21 side is ready yet though.

We need to strike a careful balance with team selection between now and the end of the season. I understand that each league place is worth about a million quid but if we sacrifice a couple of places by playing the youngsters, we may save ourselves 10 million in transfer fees. It will keep the last few games interesting, meaningful and useful.

Edited by rusty747

I personally would trust the staff if they decided to get just the one CB as first team cover with Galloway/browning the second CB mentioned earlier.

RB and striker back ups scare me the most right now. It's either got be Trippier or even Valencia ( who would cover both Rb and wing )

With the outfield players we need to sign. I would hold off on the keeper until next season, it's a risk but if we haven't got the funds for an out and out quality keeper then I would rather us not waste the money..

I find the discussion abut money and signing players interesting

holding off on buying a keeper who has cost us at least 5 places in the league therefore millions amazing

if nothing else a keeper is our No 1 priority if we want to move forward. IMO

Edited by seve

I find the discussion abut money and signing players interesting

holding off on buying a keeper who has cost us at least 5 places in the league therefore millions amazing

if nothing else a keeper is our No 1 priority if we want to move forward. IMO

I understand your argument, although i think 5 places is an exaggeration. He's had a poor season no doubt. But i would sooner see howard in goals next year then see Kone play a large part of the season due to a long term injury to Lukaku or see Hibbert/Stones at Rb for extended parts of the season because Coleman does an ACL. What would cost us more points then...