IGNORED

Seamus Coleman

scouse

58 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Anyone think that Rafa will decide on a new captain? It was indicative he was talking leadership qualities after the Millonarios game. I love that Seamus is the epitome of a real Evertonian and all he has done for  the club but maybe time to move on, go for someone younger?

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

If we buy a new RB then it'd be the right move to give it to someone else.

I think it would only make sense as much as I'd hate to see it happen.

57 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'd hand it over to Godrey in a heartbeat. 

I think Godfrey needs to grow as a leader. He doesn't command the back line enough as it is, let alone the rest of the side. 

The captain needs to be a more dominant personality in my opinion, although I am not sure who that is. The only two I can think of are Pickford and Mina and I don't think that would end well!

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think Godfrey needs to grow as a leader. He doesn't command the back line enough as it is, let alone the rest of the side. 

The captain needs to be a more dominant personality in my opinion, although I am not sure who that is. The only two I can think of are Pickford and Mina and I don't think that would end well!

He leads by example. Constant commitment in his tackles, work ethic... actions speak louder than words for me and if the others played with the same guile and gusto as he does, even the squad we have would've finished top 4. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

He leads by example. Constant commitment in his tackles, work ethic... actions speak louder than words for me and if the others played with the same guile and gusto as he does, even the squad we have would've finished top 4. 

I think a centre back needs to lead vocally and by action, let alone a captain. 

Flying into tackles and working hard isn't enough to be a captain in my opinion. The working hard bit should be a pre-requisite at this level and commitment to tackles is more of a crowd pleaser than anything else.

6 minutes ago, StevO said:

Nope. He won’t take the captaincy off him while he’s still at the club. If he’s on the pitch he’ll be captain. 
He might have another vice captain or two in mind to go with Digne (and Gylfi, but, you know…) but we may not see an announcement. 

This, for sure. 

4 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Anyone think that Rafa will decide on a new captain? It was indicative he was talking leadership qualities after the Millonarios game. I love that Seamus is the epitome of a real Evertonian and all he has done for  the club but maybe time to move on, go for someone younger?

Missed this earlier but Seamus club captain for me, doesn't mean he'll be on the field. Lots of history for many clubs where the same situation has arison.

22 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

This, for sure. 

Yeah, Seamus is captain until he’s no longer playing, for me. Rafa isn’t dumb. He knows many in the fanbase don’t want him. Can’t imagine he’d want to pour fuel on that fire by removing Seamus as captain even if he thought it was a good move for some reason.

31 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think a centre back needs to lead vocally and by action, let alone a captain. 

Flying into tackles and working hard isn't enough to be a captain in my opinion. The working hard bit should be a pre-requisite at this level and commitment to tackles is more of a crowd pleaser than anything else.

This for me too, I want a nasty fucker as the captain.  Someone no one wants to mess with and if he says so and so give the ball back for a pen, they oblige.  Too many nice guys in this side.

I'm guessing that Seamus won't be an automatic starter even though Rafa gets how much he means to the team. Lucas and Gylfi had the armband so Lucas is the obvious vice captain but I like Ben's uncompromising approach though his short time at the club and age maybe against him at the moment.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

think Godfrey needs to grow as a leader. He doesn't command the back line enough as it is, let alone the rest of the side. 

Agree.

For me he was the least best at centre half last season. Lots of aggression but still wet behind the ears. Potential to be better than the other three but he's not there yet, nevermind Captain. 

I think there is massive potential in Godfrey, as a player and captain. For now I just want him making sure he’s first choice. As much as we all rate him highly, his manager might not as much as us. Managers tend to like and trust Keane, where we don’t rate him as high. 

37 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Just read it back and I even confused myself ;)  lol

i want an alpha and a vocal leader.  A person who won’t tolerate penalty stealing antics and who players will get behind.

Though I agree with that, I want the manager to set the tone with penalty takers and leave no confusion about who takes it. Should never even get as far as the captain needing to step in. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Though I agree with that, I want the manager to set the tone with penalty takers and leave no confusion about who takes it. Should never even get as far as the captain needing to step in. 

Agreed but if someone gets an idea I don’t want a non confrontational nice guy, I want someone who will make it right.