IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

Another important clean sheet today. 4 clean sheets and 12 points in our last 5 which include wins against Arsenal, Chelsea and United. 

Let's see how we do against Palace who will be high on confidence, these are the matches I'm fearing at the moment. We've proven we can mix it in with the top 6 these past few weeks, but as soon as a team denies us space in behind we struggle. 

Let's have a strong end to the season and carry it into the start of the next campaign. 

A note on Europa league qualification.  This year starts 4th place being a group stage champions league spot (previous years it was a playoff spot).  The Europa places have changed too.  Previously it was 5th group stage, FA cup playoff, and league cup 3rd qualifying round (or 5,6,7).  Now it’s 5th and FA cup to group stage and only league cup to 3rd qualifying.  That means in future years a 6th place finish could be the same as a 5th finish Europa wise.  

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

A note on Europa league qualification.  This year starts 4th place being a group stage champions league spot (previous years it was a playoff spot).  The Europa places have changed too.  Previously it was 5th group stage, FA cup playoff, and league cup 3rd qualifying round (or 5,6,7).  Now it’s 5th and FA cup to group stage and only league cup to 3rd qualifying.  That means in future years a 6th place finish could be the same as a 5th finish Europa wise.  

I know it’s 6:30am and I’ve had my fair share of red wine 🍷 but you have completely lost me. 

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

Win our last three and we'll only have three points less than we did when we qualified for CL in 04/05, and a much better goal difference. What a strange season.

But that's Everton for you.

That has just highlighted to me how far we have let the big five or six pull away from us since then, we could beat that previous tally and still be no where near 4th spot. 

Just thought I would had a bit of perspective on how much further we have to go to get that CL spot☹️

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Does that mean if we finish 7th and qualify for Europa League we only have one qualifying round to get through before the group stage?

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

I know it’s 6:30am and I’ve had my fair share of red wine 🍷 but you have completely lost me. 

3 hours ago, StevO said:

Does that mean if we finish 7th and qualify for Europa League we only have one qualifying round to get through before the group stage?

7th is the same as last year and will be in the future.  what changes is that 6th (or FA cup win) is now the group stage.  Previously it was the playoff round (right after the 3rd qualifying round, and right before the group stage).  this makes 5th and 6th place (if cups are won by CL teams) the same for europa.

On 25/03/2019 at 13:14, hafnia said:

It's working for United under solksjaer.   

On 25/03/2019 at 13:58, Matt said:

So far for a few months. If he wins a title I’ll doff my cap, but until then, he’s riding a very enjoyable honeymoon

Shorter honeymoon than I expected! Only won 3 since beginning of March, losing 7 and going out of 2 competitions. 

50 minutes ago, Matt said:

Shorter honeymoon than I expected! Only won 3 since beginning of March, losing 7 and going out of 2 competitions. 

yeah that contract they give him was so premature.  that squad is a mess and he isn'tt a great manager.  showing clips of himself back in the day isn'tt going to inspire the likes of pogba and lukaku.

9 hours ago, Aidan said:

Lose lose for united. Had to give him the job because he surpassed expectations, should have just kept mourinho until the summer and found an experienced manager. 

Indeed. 

What United needed to happen was that he came in and steadied things so they could say thanks and goodbye come the summer. But they ended up surpassing that and made it impossible to do the right and sensible thing.

Solskjaer isn'tt a good manager and that will tell the longer he's in the job.

16 hours ago, Aidan said:

Lose lose for united. Had to give him the job because he surpassed expectations, should have just kept mourinho until the summer and found an experienced manager. 

initially appointed till the end of the season so there was no rush for them to make it permanent sooner, hardly an in demand manager.

On 25/04/2019 at 23:54, StevO said:

Good read. I’ve been working on a little Leict based tattoo idea for before we leave GP. Something based around my Dad taking me to the Bullens and now where I sit with friends in Gwladys. 

That’s an amazing idea. Would love to see it once done.