IGNORED

Michy Batshuayi

On the one hand, good international record which shows there's a decent level of ability

The other hand is he's 29 and done nothing of note domestically for quite a while. He would be the typical player the 'Everton retirement home' have bought in recent years 

Better than Rondon ? YES 

Worth the extra wages, when hopefully DCL stays fit for longer this season so wont play ? Not so sure 

His international stats are a little suspect once you peel back the layers - look at how

many are in non competitive games and the quality of sides he scored against (San Marino, Israel, Cyprus, Scotland...then a few semi decent teams such as Czech, Bosnia and most recently Holland)...but a lot of goals against what id call soft opposition. 

1 hour ago, Goodison Glory said:

His international stats are a little suspect once you peel back the layers - look at how

many are in non competitive games and the quality of sides he scored against (San Marino, Israel, Cyprus, Scotland...then a few semi decent teams such as Czech, Bosnia and most recently Holland)...but a lot of goals against what id call soft opposition. 

but that argument goes for pretty much any international goal scorer around. Statistically most goal will be against lesser teams and some will be against decent opposition.  Everybody's stats will slant towards scoring more against easier opposition, because you simply score goals. If a teams xG is higher against a poor team, by default so will a players xG.

I would hazard a guess if you peel back every goals scorer it would be the same - didn't Harry Kane once score 5 past San Marino and a few day later get a hatrick against Albania or some one like that, I bet his list also goes on of goals against soft opposition. (I am not trying to compare him to Harry Kane by any means). 

I think his international goal ration is as valid as any other player in a top European team. So a probably a bit unfair to poo poo them as lesser than others. 

Again not saying I am overly keen on him as a signing, but a goal ratio of better than 1 in 3 in domestic football and better than 1 in 2 in international does make you pause and think he might have something about him. 

7 hours ago, RuffRob said:

but that argument goes for pretty much any international goal scorer around. Statistically most goal will be against lesser teams and some will be against decent opposition.  Everybody's stats will slant towards scoring more against easier opposition, because you simply score goals. If a teams xG is higher against a poor team, by default so will a players xG.

I would hazard a guess if you peel back every goals scorer it would be the same - didn't Harry Kane once score 5 past San Marino and a few day later get a hatrick against Albania or some one like that, I bet his list also goes on of goals against soft opposition. (I am not trying to compare him to Harry Kane by any means). 

I think his international goal ration is as valid as any other player in a top European team. So a probably a bit unfair to poo poo them as lesser than others. 

Again not saying I am overly keen on him as a signing, but a goal ratio of better than 1 in 3 in domestic football and better than 1 in 2 in international does make you pause and think he might have something about him. 

Yes but what is missing from his stats sheet is the other side of your coin. Kane and others have also scored against top top sides. Belgium have also scored against top sides...Michy has not bar one goal against Holland this year. 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/08/02/everton-michy-batshuayi-chelsea/

and here lies the problem with a lot of players - simply getting paid far more than they are worth far to early in their careers, before doing anything much of any substance. 

you can't blame the player - if some club is going to offer you £90k a week, you are going to take it.

Probably one of the better options we can have to back up Dom. Not sure he'd want to play second fiddle though. It's hard for any team to find a quality experienced striker who is happy to come off the bench and take his chance, let alone a mid table team.

Waste of money. Couldn't care less about his international record. Peter Crouch had a brilliant record for England, he was still a poor player. Its meaningless. 

He's done nothing in the league to suggest he's better than (a fit) Rondon either. 

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Waste of money. Couldn't care less about his international record. Peter Crouch had a brilliant record for England, he was still a poor player. Its meaningless. 

He's done nothing in the league to suggest he's better than (a fit) Rondon either. 

Bit unfair to crouch. Per 90 he was 1 in 3 with over 100 league goals and 65 assists. Pretty damn good production. 

Just now, SpartyBlue said:

Bit unfair to crouch. Per 90 he was 1 in 3 with over 100 league goals and 65 assists. Pretty damn good production. 

Really? I only really ever saw him falling over and 1 spectacular goal. But makes my argument stronger if anything, this guy isn't even in the same league as Crouch. 

Just now, Matt said:

Really? I only really ever saw him falling over and 1 spectacular goal. But makes my argument stronger if anything, this guy isn't even in the same league as Crouch. 

It was probably because he rarely if ever had a season where he played 90 minutes for 30+ games. If you break it down by minutes though and give him those full seasons his average in a long career was like 13/6 per year. 

2 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

It was probably because he rarely if ever had a season where he played 90 minutes for 30+ games. If you break it down by minutes though and give him those full seasons his average in a long career was like 13/6 per year. 

Well, again, that's backing up my point. Like saying Mina is a better option than Keane. Except he doesn't play and Keane does. Michy doesn't play but is apparently better back up from someone who's played consistently for years. 

Waste of money. 

Just now, Matt said:

Well, again, that's backing up my point. Like saying Mina is a better option than Keane. Except he doesn't play and Keane does. Michy doesn't play but is apparently better back up from someone who's played consistently for years. 

Waste of money. 

Always some tough calculus to determine if a player who is better but plays less has more value than someone who plays more at a bit lower level. 

Sacked a plumber last week and having another start next Monday.

One I sacked was an excellent plumber. He was just really unreliable.

One who starts Monday has just passed his first year plumbing course. Not very experienced. But seems to be much more reliable (if talk is anything to go by).

I feel I have made an excellent business decision. 

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

One who starts Monday has just passed his first year plumbing course. Not very experienced. But seems to be much more reliable (if talk is anything to go by).

One of my favourite posts this summer. 😂

14 hours ago, Shukes said:

Feels like this belongs in the yerry Mina thread 😂😂

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

Do we know Broja is even available?

It keeps rumbling on in a way that makes it seem that he'll go somewhere.  I think it depends at least in part on who Chelsea bring in.  Listening to their fans it sounds like Werner may go, Lukaku gone and Broja not ready for what they expect to do this year.  That leaves them as short as us up front.  Of course with their spending it would be no surprise to see them bring in a big name or two. 

6 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

It keeps rumbling on in a way that makes it seem that he'll go somewhere.  I think it depends at least in part on who Chelsea bring in.  Listening to their fans it sounds like Werner may go, Lukaku gone and Broja not ready for what they expect to do this year.  That leaves them as short as us up front.  Of course with their spending it would be no surprise to see them bring in a big name or two. 

Tough one then to just wait and hope Chelsea won’t need him. If we had DCL it wouldn’t matter

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, RuffRob said:

He is obviously a player who is available, but generally luke warm discussion about him here at best.

As we currently stand, if Alli goes  - would you bring him in as a straight swap for him as a squad member? 

No, we need more than squad players atm