IGNORED

Tom Davies

24 minutes ago, London Blue said:

His recent performances have been very good, hopefully back to top form. Was one of, if not our best player yesterday. 

I agree - the fact that he watched the game from the stands in a baggy tracksuit and bucket hat really shows how nondescript the players on the pitch were.

43 minutes ago, London Blue said:

His recent performances have been very good, hopefully back to top form. Was one of, if not our best player yesterday. 

He's improved but plays far too within himself.  Technically aside James he's one of the better players but doesn't show this anywhere near enough.

He was ok yesterday, should be dominating midfields like Southampton but never stood out enough.

I expect more but hopefully he will continue to improve. 

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't think there'll be an Everton fan that isn't disappointed with him this year. And your second point is why I said a fully firing Gomes is ahead of Davies in most games.

Absolutely mate, although I'm not sure we have seen Davies at his absolute best either yet so hopefully both can get to those levels. 2 different players - I use to think Davies could and would emulate the Gomes of old, strong on the ball, good skillful dribbler and could pick a decent pass. Now I think they are very different in their skill sets and tactical approaches.

I think Tom deserves a lot of credit though as the last few years would have been tough but he has been resilient and got stuck in. Big respect to him for that.

• 2 weeks later...

In Davies’ case, he’s showed good character to come back as I thought he was sabotaged by some senior players who are no longer at the club. By “sabotaged”, I mean they’d give him the ball in bad positions knowing he’d probably lose it rather than take the risk of getting stick themselves.

When I came through all the old pros helped me, even in bad times, but Davies was treated harshly by some older team-mates.

It’s something I’ve seen happen to lots of players – people going through a bad time don’t want to take responsibility and so would rather pass the ball to somebody else, even if they’re marked, as at least that takes the pressure off themselves.

With Davies, it was “give it the kid and let him mess it up”. He was a positive and they turned him into a negative but now, thankfully, he’s back to where he was.

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

In Davies’ case, he’s showed good character to come back as I thought he was sabotaged by some senior players who are no longer at the club. By “sabotaged”, I mean they’d give him the ball in bad positions knowing he’d probably lose it rather than take the risk of getting stick themselves.

When I came through all the old pros helped me, even in bad times, but Davies was treated harshly by some older team-mates.

It’s something I’ve seen happen to lots of players – people going through a bad time don’t want to take responsibility and so would rather pass the ball to somebody else, even if they’re marked, as at least that takes the pressure off themselves.

With Davies, it was “give it the kid and let him mess it up”. He was a positive and they turned him into a negative but now, thankfully, he’s back to where he was.

That was my biggest beef with the Davies critics, Schneiderlein, Gomes and Gylfi threw him under the bus through cowardice.  Don't think it was malicious but non the less complete shit house behaviour. 

4 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I’d love Lookman as an option now. He’s looked great at Fulham - I do wonder if we installed a buy-back or even a sell-on in the Leipzig deal as he’s beginning to find a bit of consistency and probably more importantly- confidence. I’d happily have him back here but if not hope we have a sell-on as think he’ll go for a decent fee in the summer.

18 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I liked the Ebrell comparison completely sums up what Davies worth is to the team, and most of the time those traits are only found in players who have a real emotional connection with their clubs, because they care and it shows. 

Funny enough it was ebbrell himself who told me last summer "Davies will come good again". 

Cracking fella Ebbrell btw. Approachable and as blue as they come - can't stand Liverpool doing well.  

1 minute ago, London Blue said:

Kean is just as much to blame, pass into him with a Burnley player just waiting to mug him.

The rest of the game he was one of our best players along with Gomes.

Thought he did ok overall but if he can’t handle a ball in to feet with a player behind him in a tight area then the Premiership is not for him

9 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Thought he did ok overall but if he can’t handle a ball in to feet with a player behind him in a tight area then the Premiership is not for him

That pass was the perfect example of that article about him being sabotaged. Doesn’t matter if he was under pressure or not, Keane should’ve seen it was a pass to a high risk position if it broke 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

That pass was the perfect example of that article about him being sabotaged. Doesn’t matter if he was under pressure or not, Keane should’ve seen it was a pass to a high risk position if it broke 

A top midfielder can easily take that pass and protect the ball, Carragher was spot on in commentary you see that type of pass a million times in this day and age, he has got to do better in that scenario 

His form of late has been good, and it’s great to see, but that was a schoolboy error that cost us the game

11 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

A top midfielder can easily take that pass and protect the ball, Carragher was spot on in commentary you see that type of pass a million times in this day and age, he has got to do better in that scenario 

His form of late has been good, and it’s great to see, but that was a schoolboy error that cost us the game

He should’ve done better, but my point is it was just unnecessary 

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

He should’ve done better, but my point is it was just unnecessary 

But it's clearly the way we're playing, so Davies knows that ball is coming all game long. Keane isn't in the wrong for playing that ball to him at all and if Davies moves towards the ball instead of standing still to receive it, there's no problem and the Burnley player can't nip in there.

That being said, it was a brilliant assist later on and he should have had another if not for DCL playing like a donkey.

17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

But it's clearly the way we're playing, so Davies knows that ball is coming all game long. Keane isn't in the wrong for playing that ball to him at all and if Davies moves towards the ball instead of standing still to receive it, there's no problem and the Burnley player can't nip in there.

That being said, it was a brilliant assist later on and he should have had another if not for DCL playing like a donkey.

Totally agree, if we want to play out from the back your CM will be coming to take that pass from your CB countless times a game. 
Tbf it was his only mistake but unfortunately it was a game defining mistake 

11 minutes ago, London Blue said:

You should not be making such a high risk pass so close to your goal. He should have launched it.

That being said the two goals we conceded were great shots.

It wasn't a high risk pass.  He took control and didn't set his body - allowed himself to get pushed off the ball.

13 minutes ago, London Blue said:

You should not be making such a high risk pass so close to your goal. He should have launched it.

That being said the two goals we conceded were great shots.

If the Burnley player had been right on his back when Keane played that ball to him then I'd definitely agree with you that it was on Keane, without a shadow of a doubt. But he wasn't and only gets to Tom because he's waiting for the ball to get to him and doesn't have any awareness of what's around him. That's on him, totally.

He was far from our worst player, players with a lot more experience than him were infinitely worse (Allan being one of them) but he's responsible for the opening goal.

Davies is between two Burnley players when Kean plays the pass so by the time the pass is played the Burnley player is right on him. The pass is not into his feet he has to move to the ball.

Yes he should have been stronger to hold his off, but the tackle comes in from behind, and to the side and he was thrown off balance. 

It was a 50/50 mistake between Kean and Davies, which leads to the goal.

There was nothing wrong with the pass. Davies just wasn't set like Haf said and he didn't have the strength of pace to hold off the Burnley player. He should have also known where to lay off a first time ball to. Gomes received a similar pass moments earlier and his first touch was a pass which is exactly what you want because if your taking several touches you arent moving the opposition around.

Credit where it is due with Tom because whilst he wobbled and drifted for a bit after the goal, he came back stronger and stronger after the assist. The assist in particular was a cracker too, undefendable.