• Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

Saints fan article snippet

Koeman, to his credit, has been a large part of the success the club has had over the last two seasons. He and the scouting team have made some very good signings and the club have played extremely attractive, attacking football. The Dutchman has been talked about for jobs bigger than Everton over the course of the past season and there’s value in every mention he’s received.

But it’s also important to note that he is far from irreplaceable, and is far from the perfect manager. For all his plus points, Koeman made some strange tactical decisions during his time at Southampton, led the team through some extremely muddy patches in form, and, from the outside looking in, appeared to mismanage some players.

Dusan Tadic’s long spells out of the side were not solely related to a troublesome groin (he was practically benched for three months in 2014-15); Shane Long’s technical improvement is as much to do with the stellar coaching staff on the south coast as it is Koeman; and the Dutchman has been largely unable to convince Victor Wanyama to bother playing properly unless it’s against Arsenal or Liverpool.

While many of the signings accrued during his two seasons and four transfer windows in charge were from the Eredivisie, it is common knowledge that Saints’ black box room is responsible for much of what happens. Virgil van Dijk (former Groningen) and Jordy Clasie were marquee acquisitions while Cuco Martina was an Eredivisie buy too, but these weren’t because of Koeman; they were because of strong scouting.

As galling a prospect of another summer overhaul sounds, Southampton have the facilities, tools, infrastructure and staff to survive another one. Koeman is a good manager not a great one, there are plenty of options out there to pick from with regard to a replacement, and there was already going to be some measure of change happening regardless, as Wanyama and Pelle are widely expected to depart.

Frank de Boer, Andre Villas-Boas, Stefano Pioli and Quique Sanchez Flores are all available. Young managers currently in jobs, such as Vincenzo Montella, are also attainable. Hell, you could even chuck Gary Neville a big chance in English football if you really wanted to. Koeman has strengths and weaknesses just like most other managers. He is not the sole reason for success at Southampton and can be replaced by an equally capable candidate.

Sounds a bit Martinez like.

Edited by Lowensda

Koeman gives us a bit of steel to go with the flair - perfect combo for me. He'll need to get our players a lot fitter though. His mid/end of season form (since Jan) for Southampton was incredible so hopefully he can bring this formula to us.

Rewind three months and people were saying it's unrealistic to hope for Koeman, why would he leave Southampton for us?

Now there's a possibility we might have him....we don't want him.

Our expectations have risen quite a bit now Moshiri is here.

Rewind three months and people were saying it's unrealistic to hope for Koeman, why would he leave Southampton for us?

I never thought he wouldn't leave Soton for us, we're a much bigger club than them I just thought he'd be looking for a bigger job than us next.

Disappointed. The Saints fan article echos a lot of my thoughts around Koeman, not seen anything from him to suggest he's a good manager. Southampton is his best job to date, and he's done marginally above parr in that role IMO. His history is underwhelming to say the least.

Think he would be a fine hire (though he probably won't be your first choice if you're a big believer in the saviour concept). Solid manager. I'm happy that he's experienced as well. Had success in the CL reaching the quarter finals with Ajax, PSV (knocking out Arsenal to do so) and Benfica (knocking out Liverpool the first time in a decade that they even managed to pass from the group stage). He had a shit season with Valencia, but he's been fine to above average everywhere else he's been.

Were you annoyed no one responded the first time? :lol:

Sorry about double post.

Would have preferred Emery, but not disappointed with Koeman.

Looks to have done a solid job at Southampton and could be just the guy we need to shore up our back four.

I'm fact, I dont think we need to change much at all.

A new manager...no matter who he/she is may be all that's needed. Fresh motivation to a squad that has the ability already.

I've never rated him. His works been hit and miss and apart from the Copa Del Rey he's won nothing of note. Let's not forget he had a fantastic squad at Valencia too. People went against De Boer because he's only won Dutch titles.... Well so has Koeman. I think it's a poor choice and ultimately he'll end up walking in a couple of years. Ready for the vault on this but I'm pissed off.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/apr/21/europeanfootball.sport

Koeman has hardly helped himself, but the real culprit is a club that's never at peace; the Dutchman walked into a viper's nest, where sporting directors and coaches are at each other's throats like a bunch of deranged emus; where, with honourable exceptions, fans are never satisfied; where president and shareholders are always at war, creating tension and instability.

I've never rated him. His works been hit and miss and apart from the Copa Del Rey he's won nothing of note. Let's not forget he had a fantastic squad at Valencia too. People went against De Boer because he's only won Dutch titles.... Well so has Koeman. I think it's a poor choice and ultimately he'll end up walking in a couple of years. Ready for the vault on this but I'm pissed off.

You feel like I would if de Boer had been given the job. The only advantage Koeman has is he knows the league.