• Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

Uninspiring safe option. Still fuming if the inevitable happens

I'd say more logical than safe, I know he isn't your preferred choice but surely you can see the good that could come from his appointment? Personally I'll be very happy with it as Rusty said he'll instill (hopefully) what we've been lacking

Edited by EFC-Paul

Uninspiring safe option. Still fuming if the inevitable happens

I don't see this. Koeman is a good manager with a longer CV than De Boer and one that includes some success in the prem. To say that Southampton only marginally over-performed the last two years is a bit disingenuous; I could point to Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Man City, Everton, Liverpool, Tottenham, West Ham, and potentially even Stoke, Swansea and Palace who, on paper, should have been better than Southhampton the last two seasons, not to mention Leicester who found a way to win the league. Southampton's marquee signings this past season were van Dijk and Charlie Austin - not exactly world beaters.

I'm just not sure who you expect us to sign. Emery I understand, but he's about the only option I see as having a higher ceiling than Koeman, and as we all well know, Spanish managers don't always transition well to the Premier League. We're not stealing Pochettino, we were never signing Mourinho, Pellegrini has less promise and is a far more known quantity. Just who is exactly is all this money supposed to get us and which bigger club (because there are bigger clubs than us) are we stealing him from?

I don't see this. Koeman is a good manager with a longer CV than De Boer and one that includes some success in the prem. To say that Southampton only marginally over-performed the last two years is a bit disingenuous; I could point to Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Man City, Everton, Liverpool, Tottenham, West Ham, and potentially even Stoke, Swansea and Palace who, on paper, should have been better than Southhampton the last two seasons, not to mention Leicester who found a way to win the league. Southampton's marquee signings this past season were van Dijk and Charlie Austin - not exactly world beaters.

I'm just not sure who you expect us to sign. Emery I understand, but he's about the only option I see as having a higher ceiling than Koeman, and as we all well know, Spanish managers don't always transition well to the Premier League. We're not stealing Pochettino, we were never signing Mourinho, Pellegrini has less promise and is a far more known quantity. Just who is exactly is all this money supposed to get us and which bigger club (because there are bigger clubs than us) are we stealing him from?

I want a bit of the Unknown if I'm honest Koeman doesn't excite me at all. I see a steady solid improvement 7th-8th place, but other that I don't see a major improvement I want. I'm here for the vaults it's a feeling rather than a calculated thought. Let's see how my feelings pan out.

I'll be disappointed with Koeman.Wanted Pellegrini as a safe pair of hands for a couple of seasons = proven in PL. What has RK done?

Pelligrini has the aura of a "not really arsed" semi retired been there and done it mindset. The sort you see in wenger and recently van Gaal.

Koeman has made his mistakes at valencia and basically rebuilt Southampton.

I wanted Emery but more than happy with koeman.

Edited by Hafnia

I really am shocked some will be disappointed with Koeman, I was horrified when we appointed Martinez he proved me wrong the first season but then as I thought it all fell apart!

We're appointing a manager who played at the very very top, unlike Martinez. Someone I believe is very well respected thru football and will use that to sign some players who probably wouldn't come if he wasn't here.

I'm also hoping his appointment means some of our players who may have been undecided now decide to stay.

Doom and gloom I suppose has been drummed into us over the past 20 years and at last things are looking up.

Edited by smeghead1

I wanted Pellegrini at first until a mate of mine who breathes Citeh pointed out his similar playing style to Martinez. Scores lots of goals but concedes just as many. Their defence isn't that great to be fair.

I'm kinda hoping for a bit of both with Koeman a little of Moyes defensive nouse and a fair bit of flair going forward.

Pelligrini has the aura of a "not really arsed" semi retired been there and done it mindset. The sort you see in wenger and recently van Gaal.

Koeman has made his mistakes at valencia and basically rebuilt Southampton.

I wanted Emery but more than happy with koeman.

I also would have preferred Emery and I'm coming around to Koeman but the thing that's really impressed me is Moshiri's determination to get what he wants

Koeman is the right choice for us at this stage. tactically very adept, good track record, knows the league, great playing history. As others have said he is in between Moyes and Martinez in terms of mentality, and this gives me great hope.

Once we start qualifying for the Champions League then we will be able to attract the next level of manager.

Edited by London Blue

Koeman is the right choice for us at this stage. tactically very adept, good track record, knows the league, great playing history. As others have said he is in between Moyes and Martinez in terms of mentality, and this gives me great hope.

Once we start qualifying for the Champions League then we will be able to attract the next level of manager.

Surely if he gets us into Champions League then he is that next level?

For all your sanity, put any thoughts of Champions League footy away for a while.

Not my first choice. But tbh I really didn't know who I wanted. The last time we were in this position it was between Allardyce, Oneill, Lennon, Coyle, Martinez and others of equal ilk. None like the quality we've been linked with (and apparently interviewed) this time. Emery would have been good on the back of three major knockout trophies on the bounce but league positions 5th, 5th and 7th puts a slight question mark there. Martinez was fairly good at the knockout comps ( but even more s hit at league save for first season). Koeman gives me confidence especially, as pointed out on here a few times, he was THE one being sought and THE one we seem to have got.

I want a bit of the Unknown if I'm honest Koeman doesn't excite me at all. I see a steady solid improvement 7th-8th place, but other that I don't see a major improvement I want. I'm here for the vaults it's a feeling rather than a calculated thought. Let's see how my feelings pan out.

Fair enough. We'll see what he can do with 100k.

Surely if he gets us into Champions League then he is that next level?

For all your sanity, put any thoughts of Champions League footy away for a while.

I think and hope Koeman can get us to the Champions League, I don't think that will be for a couple of seasons but the money being put into the club I believe it will be within 3 years.

On sky Alan Irwin reckons nothing until the next 24 hours. All down to Southampton agreeing compensation. Pretty much what is said elsewhere.

I liked his comment "9 titles" when talking about the attraction of Everton. I think he's been won over from the dark side. He played the Everton fan on radio with sharpie but was a full on rednose.

A DoF and 100 million transfer budget isn't enough excitement for one summer? Plus of course all the talk about a new stadium.

Sunday-Times Sport has an article which states that Koeman's agent has stated that 'Ronald Koeman has agreed to become Everton's manager'. It is now down to Everton and Southampton to agree a compensation package. The agent said 'we have reached agreement with Everton, now it is up to the clubs'.