IGNORED

Theo Walcott

12 minutes ago, Palfy said:

His grandad died 24/11 as you well know he played that day still against Cardiff as you well know, that how much he hides, I’ll let others make up their own minds , but  your totally out of order in my opinion to use the death of his grandad to try and demonise or downgrade why the fans were singing his name 7 games after his grandad died. 

And if you want me to be totally honest I don’t believe you when you say you thought he had just died. 

I don't  lie and I don't being in real life shitty scenarios to justify football arguments.

You wanna take out the compassion piece of the argument? I still said the fans celebrated him after a good game.... did I not? No... you missed that like you miss most things. So you double up faux outrage to cover for that.

Your argument was how can someone be shit if the fans call out his name at the end of a game?  I answered that.... he had a good game. Unfortunately it's one in a number.

The piece about his granddad... I have no doubt whatsoever that our fans were showing him support.  You make his grandfather passing 7 weeks ago like it was 7 years.  By all accounts he cried after scoring against spurs.  He and his family will be grieving long after this season and the season after. 

Don't accuse me of immoral shite. I'm far from that person.

2 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I don't  lie and I don't being in real life shitty scenarios to justify football arguments.

You wanna take out the compassion piece of the argument? I still said the fans celebrated him after a good game.... did I not? No... you missed that like you miss most things. So you double up faux outrage to cover for that.

Your argument was how can someone be shit if the fans call out his name at the end of a game?  I answered that.... he had a good game. Unfortunately it's one in a number.

The piece about his granddad... I have no doubt whatsoever that our fans were showing him support.  You make his grandfather passing 7 weeks ago like it was 7 years.  By all accounts he cried after scoring against spurs.  He and his family will be grieving long after this season and the season after. 

Don't accuse me of immoral shite. I'm far from that person.

I know what you said. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Get rid and fast

Allardyce talking to his chums on talk sport yesterday..... told the listeners that Walcott should be playing and ahead of lookman.

Just another potshot from one of the shittest managers I've seen put football out in front of our fans. Oh yeah.... he signed Walcott....

17 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Allardyce talking to his chums on talk sport yesterday..... told the listeners that Walcott should be playing and ahead of lookman.

Just another potshot from one of the shittest managers I've seen put football out in front of our fans. Oh yeah.... he signed Walcott....

shows how much he knows, lookman isn'tt even playing!!!! richarlison took his spot and rightly so.  he actually tracks back and works with seamus

• 4 months later...
13 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i wouldn't be surprised if he is sold in the winter window.  could see his playing time at close to nil and wants to play somewhere.  i'm sure he would be a nice signing for a lower side looking for pace.

I think he’ll stay and mentor Iwobi for a bit. Wouldn’t be surprised if he had a role to play in the transfer 

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

he's 30 turns 31 end of the campaign.  he could be looking for one last gig before becoming a bit part player.  if he's already there i'm fine with it, he's a nice 4th winger to have.  i just have a feeling it's gonna be like aaron lennon where he knows he can play a bit longer and goes to a lower side.

That’s fine by me, but so long as he’s mentoring he can stay another 2 seasons then go for his payday. 

Mentoring is the manager and the coaching staff's job. I don't want the club paying a player millions of pounds a year (more than the entire coaching staff combined probably, minus the manager) to do their job. If a player isn't playing, then ship him out. If his role is to mentor someone, put him on the staff at a tenth the wage.  

20 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

Mentoring is the manager and the coaching staff's job. I don't want the club paying a player millions of pounds a year (more than the entire coaching staff combined probably, minus the manager) to do their job. If a player isn't playing, then ship him out. If his role is to mentor someone, put him on the staff at a tenth the wage.  

No, it’s the the role of anyone in the club with the experience and skill set to do it, by doing their job as well as they can, leading by example or simply just chatting to someone who might need a couple of words from an old friend during a transition. Mentoring isn’t giving instructions, it’s giving support and sharing knowledge/experience and everyone is responsible for that. 

All I'm saying is that if it's "the role of anyone at the club" then there's no particular reason to keep Theo for that purpose. You said that "as long as he's mentoring he can stay for another 2 seasons".  I don't think that's a good enough reason to keep him that long when there are other players there who can a) mentor Iwobi (assuming he needs it; it's not like he's coming into a new league or country) and b) contribute consistently to the team at a level we're aiming for.  

6 hours ago, Isaiah said:

All I'm saying is that if it's "the role of anyone at the club" then there's no particular reason to keep Theo for that purpose. You said that "as long as he's mentoring he can stay for another 2 seasons".  I don't think that's a good enough reason to keep him that long when there are other players there who can a) mentor Iwobi (assuming he needs it; it's not like he's coming into a new league or country) and b) contribute consistently to the team at a level we're aiming for.  

You ignored the basic criteria, it’s not just "the role of anyone at the club", it’s everything that follows too. Maybe we have different ideas I mentoring.

They’ve worked together, play more or less the same position. I’ve no doubt Iwobi looked up to Theo as a youngster coming through the youth setup and so Walcott has a unique impact/ relationship 

I don’t believe he was brought here to play a wide role,  I think he was bought to be an AM or even as a 2nd striker. 

He definitely hasn’t come here to play on the RW that wouldn’t make sense to me when we have Richarlison and Walcott covering that side, he could be possibly used on the LW.  

I see him as a really good buy who will give Silva a lot of options with moving the pack around, and for all who dislike Walcott tough because he will be part of the squad and deservedly so.  

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I don’t believe he was brought here to play a wide role,  I think he was bought to be an AM or even as a 2nd striker. 

He definitely hasn’t come here to play on the RW that wouldn’t make sense to me when we have Richarlison and Walcott covering that side, he could be possibly used on the LW.  

I see him as a really good buy who will give Silva a lot of options with moving the pack around, and for all who dislike Walcott tough because he will be part of the squad and deservedly so.  

I don’t mind iwobi as a winger though. He looks really strong on the ball and can carry the team forward well with 20 yard bursts. Loads of skills as well. Really excited and honestly glad we didn’t throw an extra 50 million and get Zaha. 

29 minutes ago, Matt said:

The whole point with the regarding the attacking signings was to be interchangeable no? I don’t want him to be a definite winger or AMC, just like Kean or Bernard. I want them causing utter chaos by switching and overlapping whilst driving forward

I do agree with that we’ve now I feel got one of the best offensive teams in the league now, with a multitude of talent that can play in more than one position we are going to worry a lot of teams. 

What does give me concern is the CB situation we haven’t replaced Zouma and all though I do like Mina and I’m sure he can do the job for us, he is quite injury prone and Holgate would not be the answer to come in for him or Keane, this could prove to be our undoing or maybe we just win games 4-3. 

5 hours ago, Matt said:

You ignored the basic criteria, it’s not just "the role of anyone at the club", it’s everything that follows too. Maybe we have different ideas I mentoring.

They’ve worked together, play more or less the same position. I’ve no doubt Iwobi looked up to Theo as a youngster coming through the youth setup and so Walcott has a unique impact/ relationship 

I 'ignored' the basic criteria because all but one of them are so basic as to be common to almost every player in the first team. Literally the only criterion Theo has that, say, Seamus or Lucas or Baines don't have, is the Arsenal connection. So again, if Iwobi were some 18 year old kid coming into a new culture, I could see the wisdom in keeping someone else around for 2 years to bed them in. But we're talking here about a 23 year old who has played in England all his life, was brought up as a footballer by Arsene Wenger, has an FA Cup winner's medal and scored in last season's Europa League final. This guy needs Theo Walcott to mentor him for 2 years? Until Christmas, no problem, I'd agree, but not until 2021. It's not that you and I have different ideas of mentoring, it's that we differ, on this occasion, on its necessity. You think their Arsenal connection, a more or less similar playing position, and the fact that Iwobi may have looked up to him matters enough to keep Theo around for 2 seasons. I don't. If we signed some young Senegalese prospect from Lokomotiv Moscow who had been buddies with Niasse a few years ago I don't think you'd want us to keep Oumar on the books for a couple of seasons just to help the new guy settle.  

Anyway, I understand your point and maybe you're right, but I disagree with it because I just don't rate Theo highly as a player anymore. If he wants to mentor someone he should mentor himself, because while I think he has a lot of talent, I also think he's too often lazy and disinterested and doesn't impose himself on a game. I think if we have serious top 6 intentions then a player should be on our books first as foremost as a player. I don't think a player with the experience and background and achievements of Iwobi needs someone like Theo Walcott to mentor him for 2 seasons.

Peace.   

8 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

I 'ignored' the basic criteria because all but one of them are so basic as to be common to almost every player in the first team. Literally the only criterion Theo has that, say, Seamus or Lucas or Baines don't have, is the Arsenal connection. So again, if Iwobi were some 18 year old kid coming into a new culture, I could see the wisdom in keeping someone else around for 2 years to bed them in. But we're talking here about a 23 year old who has played in England all his life, was brought up as a footballer by Arsene Wenger, has an FA Cup winner's medal and scored in last season's Europa League final. This guy needs Theo Walcott to mentor him for 2 years? Until Christmas, no problem, I'd agree, but not until 2021. It's not that you and I have different ideas of mentoring, it's that we differ, on this occasion, on its necessity. You think their Arsenal connection, a more or less similar playing position, and the fact that Iwobi may have looked up to him matters enough to keep Theo around for 2 seasons. I don't. If we signed some young Senegalese prospect from Lokomotiv Moscow who had been buddies with Niasse a few years ago I don't think you'd want us to keep Oumar on the books for a couple of seasons just to help the new guy settle.  

Anyway, I understand your point and maybe you're right, but I disagree with it because I just don't rate Theo highly as a player anymore. If he wants to mentor someone he should mentor himself, because while I think he has a lot of talent, I also think he's too often lazy and disinterested and doesn't impose himself on a game. I think if we have serious top 6 intentions then a player should be on our books first as foremost as a player. I don't think a player with the experience and background and achievements of Iwobi needs someone like Theo Walcott to mentor him for 2 seasons.

Peace.   

Fair enough mate :) 

These interchangeable are all well and good but if Silva is setting up the team in a certain way to do a certain thing then it's less likely that will be a bonus for us. If we are playing Richarlison or Walcott as a Mueller/Villa style finisher with the creative player on the other side it won't necessarily help the team if they are switching regularly.  It also causes problems defensively when one player thinks the other should be tracking back. We are quite rigid in our defensive form so whilst it sounds good its not always practical.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Well whoever is in the best form should be a starter. If that happens to be Walcott why shouldn’t he?

The benefit of having four winger is that you would hope two will be in form at once, as wingers by nature come in and out of form quite often. 

Common sense prevails.