IGNORED

Theo Walcott

26 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I completely agree. It's a very common thing for football fans to hype up the player who isn't playing only to slag him off when he comes back in and does crap.

It's amazing how often a player on the sidelines becomes a better player when the team is playing badly! 

I have consistently slagged Walcott as being shit.  I’m not saying he’s good now, just that his attributes fit the team better that a slight Bernard who’s weak and barely sees the ball.  Iwobi creating and cutting in on one side and Walcott the pace merchant on the other making a 3 forward attack with DCL and richarlison is better than what we are seeing right now.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I have consistently slagged Walcott as being shit.  I’m not saying he’s good now, just that his attributes fit the team better that a slight Bernard who’s weak and barely sees the ball.  Iwobi creating and cutting in on one side and Walcott the pace merchant on the other making a 3 forward attack with DCL and richarlison is better than what we are seeing right now.

Maybe or maybe not. I'm just not convinced it will make a great deal of difference to the side irrespective of who is starting. We were still very average with him in the side under Ancellotti. 

I think Bernard is generally best suited to us retaining possession and getting up the pitch but Iwobi did a good job of that in the second half against Norwich whereas Bernard didn't. I hand on heart couldn't predict whether one would play better than the other at the moment, I find them all very inconsistent and unreliable.

On 27/06/2020 at 16:08, markjazzbassist said:

I agree we are missing Theo, but for me it’s instead of Iwobi not Bernard. Iwobi had one good half against the worst team in the league. I’d pick Theo over him every time. 
I wouldn’t describe Bernard as weak and barely seeing the ball though. He might not be the biggest or strongest, but I’ve seen bigger players knocked off the ball easier.  

• 2 months later...
37 minutes ago, Aidan said:

An unused sub against Spurs and fleetwood. Has only played in the Salford game this season so far and hasn't been on the bench for any of our other games. Surly on his way out if a club come in for him, doesn't seem to feature in Carlo's plans. 

Of the large wage players we are currently rostering he is the one I’d most like us to move on. Still has a name and good speed so we’d be able to get something and I just don’t see him contributing for us. Personally I’d rather see Bolassie if we need to bring on a winger capable of playing directly when chasing a game. 

9 hours ago, Btay said:

What a horrible waste of funds and the fact we let young talent ala lookman/vlasic go for him to get time.

Red Bull Leipzig are desperately negotiating with Fulham to get rid of Lookman, his flash in the pan brilliance seemed to paper over what was going on behind the scenes. The fact that three Everton managers and now Red Bull don't fancy him speaks volumes to me. At first I was angry that we had allowed him to go, but it seems to correct piece of business in hindsight. 

Vlasic is doing well, but that's in the Russian Division where Oumar Niasse looked like a lethal hitman, the fact that nobody of any calibre has bid for him (i.e - Champions/Europa League outfits) again speaks volumes to me - the only team that do seem to be interested are West Brom, who we all know are shite and likely to play Championship football next season. 

Not that anything above affects my judgement on Walcott, as I think his wages are astronomical but I don't necessarily think that we made poor choices letting the other two leave. 

I couldn't really have given a toss about Lookman but I always thought Vlasic looked like a player. Completely different mould to Walcott mind.

I just looked up Vlasic to see how he is doing and 16 goals in 37 appearances last season isn't shabby regardless of the league. He also has 3 in 13 for Croatia too. I didn't expect that!

On 28/09/2020 at 17:09, Zoo 2.0 said:

Red Bull Leipzig are desperately negotiating with Fulham to get rid of Lookman, his flash in the pan brilliance seemed to paper over what was going on behind the scenes. The fact that three Everton managers and now Red Bull don't fancy him speaks volumes to me. At first I was angry that we had allowed him to go, but it seems to correct piece of business in hindsight. 

Vlasic is doing well, but that's in the Russian Division where Oumar Niasse looked like a lethal hitman, the fact that nobody of any calibre has bid for him (i.e - Champions/Europa League outfits) again speaks volumes to me - the only team that do seem to be interested are West Brom, who we all know are shite and likely to play Championship football next season. 

Not that anything above affects my judgement on Walcott, as I think his wages are astronomical but I don't necessarily think that we made poor choices letting the other two leave. 

Just feel they were about Walcotts level with potential to be something more. I think Vlasic would be doing well in our midfield 3 right now to be honest. Just hope we can move Theo on and re coup something. 

On 29/09/2020 at 07:21, Matt said:

Not going anywhere this window apparently 

Never been a fan of him and never wanted him here, but he's one of the last ones I feel we should be actively looking to get rid of. But if someone came in with a decent bit of money for him (he's one of the only ones out of the crap like Bolasie etc that would bring in decent money after all) it'd make sense to let him go.

23 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Niasse scored 12 in 28. 

16 hours ago, Aidan said:

Was about to say this! Very poor league. 

Niasse scored 12 in 28 in Russia. He scored 8 in 35 here despite mainly playing from the bench. It isnt a million miles away. Nudging the ball over the line is the same in England as it is in Russia!

As an example, Hulk had a similar goal scoring record in Russia as he did in Portugal. Pavlyachenko had a similar record for Spurs as he did at Lokomotiv Moscow (but worse than at Spartak). These are the only ones I could think of! :)

I completely agree that it is an easier league, most are when compared to the Premier League it is still an impressive return for a midfielder.

13 hours ago, MC11 said:

Looks like he could be moved on before the deadline. 

Hope so.   I truly believe he's a crackin lad and won't upset training etc but we need to move the deadwood on.  If needs to send out a message, if you aren't in our plans you are gone. 

1 minute ago, StevO said:

It seems a shame to me, I still think he’s better than Iwobi but got to trust Carlo. 

I think they are vastly different players. Whereas Iwobi has the ability to be involved in the passing and movement and is able to link play and see things happening in front of him which is what Carlo wants, Walcott is nothing more than a head down finisher who is struggling to finish.

I am not saying that Iwobi has done well here or that he is in sparkling form but he plays football the way we want to play it whereas Walcott doesn't.

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think they are vastly different players. Whereas Iwobi has the ability to be involved in the passing and movement and is able to link play and see things happening in front of him which is what Carlo wants, Walcott is nothing more than a head down finisher who is struggling to finish.

I am not saying that Iwobi has done well here or that he is in sparkling form but he plays football the way we want to play it whereas Walcott doesn't.

I get what you’re saying, but I’ve never seen that from Iwobi really. I’ve seen the little give and go he does a lot, but not really seen him do anything effective. I hope he does better if he’s staying. For me he should be behind Gordon.

I guess Walcott can’t really play on the left either, that’s probably not helping him. 

7 minutes ago, StevO said:

I get what you’re saying, but I’ve never seen that from Iwobi really. I’ve seen the little give and go he does a lot, but not really seen him do anything effective. I hope he does better if he’s staying. For me he should be behind Gordon.

I guess Walcott can’t really play on the left either, that’s probably not helping him. 

I agree about Walcott being on the left, he is a lot more one dimensional.

Personally I would still have Iwobi ahead of Gordon but I wouldn't say there was loads in it based on current form.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I agree about Walcott being on the left, he is a lot more one dimensional.

Personally I would still have Iwobi ahead of Gordon but I wouldn't say there was loads in it based on current form.

I’ve been a big fan of Iwobi, but he’s been a big let down so far. Gordon has shown a lot more when he’s played. 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

I’ve been a big fan of Iwobi, but he’s been a big let down so far. Gordon has shown a lot more when he’s played. 

I dont think he has, at least not in the league. Gordon has shown very little but neither has Iwobi, however you would expect it from Iwobi whereas you don't from Gordon. 

Put it this way, if I was Carlo I would be looking at Iwobi thinking there is a lot more to come from him in an Everton shirt based upon what he has shown previously. With Gordon, that is an unknown and at the moment the only real performance from him has come against lower level teams.

I would be surprised if Gordon doesn't end up on a short term loan deal somewhere. Get regular games until January and then reassess his position in the side. If there is space through injury or poor performance bring him back in, if there isn't, keep him on loan until the summer. 

16 minutes ago, Shukes said:

You would go with a player that has played in the premier for a long time... and not really made it...., rather than a young home grown lad, showing nothing but promise and potential? 

Different approach, but ok.

Bit harsh on Iwobi to say he has never made it! 

Gordon has only shown very limited promise in the league. 

I mean, it is also Carlo's approach.