IGNORED

AFC Bournemouth (Away) Saturday December 30th

markjazzbassist

26 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Given that Kenny had his worst match in a long time, that Keane and Jagielka played soft (and that’s putting it kindly), and that Martina gets turned around most of the time when opponents run at him, we’re lucky not to have lost by 3-1 or even 4-1.

We need goals and therfore attackers, especially and obviously against mediocre teams.  Rooney paired with a single DM, so he can roam as a deep playmaker.  Then 2 wingers and Sigurdsson as #10.  And play Niasse more, by 55 minuts unless DCL is actually being effective.

We have goalscorers. Didn't we recently beat West Ham 4-0? It's almost all about tactics: setting up so we don't lose rather than setting up to win. Unsworth went out there to win. Lo and behold, against a relegation team, we won!

haven't been on for ages and there's a valid reason. We are shite!

I've watched everton for 28 years and this is the first time I am not bothered if i miss the game.

I think that, this year, I have accepted that we are never gonna win anything again. 

2 minutes ago, yamar said:

haven't been on for ages and there's a valid reason. We are shite!

I've watched everton for 28 years and this is the first time I am not bothered if i miss the game.

I think that, this year, I have accepted that we are never gonna win anything again. 

"This time next year, Rodney, we'll be millionaires."

"Whether you believe you'll succeed or not, you're right."

"Young men, never give up. Never give up. Never give up. Never, never, never, never, never, never."

36 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

THE SQUAD isn'ttT GOOD ENOUGH

It doesn't matter what team gets put out.

It doesn't matter who is in charge.

If the players aren't up to scratch then you're going to struggle.

Our top performers from the last couple of seasons are now no longer at the club or injured.

If this squad isn't good enough to beat a Championship squad in Bournemouth then we should kick start the relegation thread again because that's where we are going. 

It looks like Sam needs to go back to using Unsy's tactics as he did when he initially took over because his own dont work.

5 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

But it's not. Most of them are plodders. Without Rooney there is zero quality in the squad at all. Sigurdsson doesn't do anywhere near enough to affect the game and that's why he finds himself playing out on the left.

I'd say the biggest problem with our squad is that the vast majority of them are utter cowards.

This is interesting reading, not the greatest opposition admittedly but still.

31 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

We have goalscorers. Didn't we recently beat West Ham 4-0? It's almost all about tactics: setting up so we don't lose rather than setting up to win. Unsworth went out there to win. Lo and behold, against a relegation team, we won!

I don’t think we’re really disagreeing.  We do have goalscorers (maybe - still thinking about TallPaul’s neon headline post - and now he’s added the claim that we have “utter cowards”), but because Allardyce’s focus is on not losing, he sets out a mainly defensive lineup.  Thus 1 winger(at most), 1 striker, 2 (and today 3) DCMs.

So, yes, it’s all about using tactics that ignore the necessity of employing 1-2 more attackers.

47 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I wasn't suggesting they should've been given more time, I was just chucking out there that we don't know what would've happened if we had.

It's difficult to conceive how anyone could manage to make us worse than we are.

Yep it is difficult. But from what I've seen of Klaassen so far he manages it somehow. 

3 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

But it's not. Most of them are plodders. Without Rooney there is zero quality in the squad at all. Sigurdsson doesn't do anywhere near enough to affect the game and that's why he finds himself playing out on the left.

I'd say the biggest problem with our squad is that the vast majority of them are utter cowards.

I would say our squad is easily as good as Burnley's. The difference is the manager and his tactics.

29 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I would say our squad is easily as good as Burnley's. The difference is the manager and his tactics.

Difference is we have had 4 managers in 2 years. Burnley have had the same one for 5 years, despite a relegation.

Yep, you're right, I'm not sure what my point is...there is one there though, isn'tt there?!!!

6 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

And Bournemouth's aren't? The only position they even come close to rivalling us is upfront. The difference is that they came to win the game and we didn't.

3 hours ago, MC11 said:

Biggest mistake today was playing Keane and Jags at centre half. You're literally asking for trouble with that - zero pace. I can understand why he left Holgate & Williams our because of the amount of games coming up but seriously they are both shocking. Keane is literally awful.

I agree. He is changing a winning side. I get that there are a lot of games around this time of year but they are CBs FFS who have been in and out of the side. The 3 positions that should never be rotated voluntarily are CB and GK. I think it' arrogance more than anything. He bleats on about coaches not coaching defending and that he told Keane to play the cube or whatever the fuck he said and then he thinks that he can play around with the 11 and get away with it.

Our focus should have been on winning this game and West Brom as if we get into trouble again they are the sides we need to beat to stay up, not the Chelseas or Utds

4 hours ago, MC11 said:

Biggest mistake today was playing Keane and Jags at centre half. You're literally asking for trouble with that - zero pace. I can understand why he left Holgate & Williams our because of the amount of games coming up but seriously they are both shocking. Keane is literally awful.

Agreed, why does he keep changing the CB pairings wen holgate and Williams were solid for those first few matches?

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I get the concept of rotating players when the team faces a hectic schedule, but this was not the way to do it. I'd rather beat Bournemouth 2-1 and lose to United 5-0 than lose both games 2-1. We should have played the stronger defensive pairing today.

This exactly! We should have had 3 points out of these 2 games but now we will probably have none. Why change a solid defence! Its the midfield and players up top we should be rotating to try find some sort of attack! Shit house tactics and trying to be too clever resting defenders has back fired big time!  

5 hours ago, coxy051 said:

This exactly! We should have had 3 points out of these 2 games but now we will probably have none. Why change a solid defence! Its the midfield and players up top we should be rotating to try find some sort of attack! Shit house tactics and trying to be too clever resting defenders has back fired big time!  

I'm getting the feeling Sam would rather get a point from the United game than any form the Bournemouth game, he seems to want to get results from playing the big clubs for his own personal gains and can't be arsed with the  more mediocre games because they don't get him the headlines, I hope I'm wrong but we could have a manager who is working for himself and not the team, because some of his selections against the lower clubs have been a shambles, yet against United guaranteed we will see the team we should have seen against Bournemouth, and if we get something from it who will get all the plaudits Big Sam. 

I have watched the game back again (when Im not pissed) and I cant get over how passive Keane, Jags and Schneiderlin were. You can also include McCarthy into that as he didn't look anywhere near fit, he certainly wasn't sharp.

Keane is simply not good enough 1 v 1. He gets overpowered by Wilson early in the game which led to a 1v1 with Pickford, he then completely fails to consider that Fraser is free at the back post for the goal, he is marking areas already covered by other defenders, and then gets turned inside out by Smith for the second and gets himself into a Sunday League position. He is always on the back foot as well.

Jags was as poor as I have seen him for a long time yesterday. He too was timid. I'm not quite sure what he was doing for the first shot of Wilson's as he doesn't win the challenge and completely sells himself and he did the same thing at least a couple more times, with the one that comes immediately to mind being the Afobe chance at the death. He was also responsible for a big chance of Wilson's with a really sloppy giveaway.

Schneiderlin is also starting to frustrate me again. Positionally he is shielding that back four by my fucking God the lad needs to know when to get stuck in. Like Keane, he was done at least 3 times 1v1, of which two led to good shots from Ibe. For the second goal, Kenny makes a good recovery challenge but no-one is stepping in to follow up. Schneiderlin moves across with no urgency given that its pretty clear we are in trouble down that side, and then he doesnt do the two things he is there to do. 1. Make a challenge and/or 2. Stop the easy pass into the striker. He hesitates and leaves himself in no-mans land.

On a positive note, I thought Martina was our best defender yesterday, he has come on a lot under Allardyce and I thought Niasse showed a level of composure that I didn't think he had. That was a great ball to Gueye (who was also decent).

14 hours ago, johnh said:

I've broken legs blocking shots, not my own I hasten to add.

I broke my hip at 16 doing the same. 

It’s clear to see Sam is chopping and changing, using the league games, to either justifying a massive budget (“look, there’s a load of players but they’re not all good enough”) or is still finding out his strongest squad or is simply incompetent. 

I’m not sure if it’s any one of the three, but all combined maybe?

27 minutes ago, tonkaroost said:

Probably going to get some hate for this, but I really don't think Kenny tracked back hard enough on the first goal. He's been good for us, but he disappointed me in that moment.

I watched that goal back a few times because originally I thought the same but just before possession gets turned over, you can see him moving into a slightly more attacking position but about 5 yards wider. Fraser is much more central and sees the misplaced pass quicker and is therefore moving forward whereas Kenny isnt. Kenny doesn' sprint all out to get there like Fraser does but IMO it's irrelevant as he wouldn't have got anywhere near. 

Overall though it wasn't his best game.

1 hour ago, tonkaroost said:

Probably going to get some hate for this, but I really don't think Kenny tracked back hard enough on the first goal. He's been good for us, but he disappointed me in that moment.

He's done his best to get back, mate a challenge to show Bournemouth down. Schneiderlin and Keane should have covered for him better after that. 

I'm more annoyed Sigurdssen snapped at this shot rather than cut in. Likewise Bolasie getting too excited he'd be on motd rather than being sensible and making sure he got his shot on target. 

20 hours ago, tonkaroost said:

I agree. I wat he’s it a few times and although he does get forward, he only jogs back. He should b busting a gut to get back there. 

Too many of our players seem to be leaving responsibility for other team mates, rather than work hard to get back and double up. 

Team play is about trios all over the pitch. We don’t seem to be playing like that, we seem to be eleven players in separate positions.