IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

21 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Cheers mate, really looking forward to it. Don’t get out much these days due to kids, so it’s a chance for me and the missus to let our hair down a bit.

Closing with Queen, so that should be a good sing along 🙂

You sure you still got hair, I'd be singing a long to Duran and Blondie definitely, and be hanging by the time Queen come on.

I think your gonna have an 80s sensation..

24 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Tell u what Walcott couldn’t get near Robinson for pace in the week. If his pace goes you are left with a very limited player 

i won't argue, just saying he was a CF for arsenal, he looks weak on the wing but crossing and link up play doesn't seem to be his game.  maybe he's just a runner that can tap it in, worth a shot in preseason

50 minutes ago, Palfy said:

You sure you still got hair, I'd be singing a long to Duran and Blondie definitely, and be hanging by the time Queen come on.

I think your gonna have an 80s sensation..

Hair is so overrated... And I'm willing to bet Theo Walcott somewhat agrees. Wonder if he could be effective at cf coming in the last 20 minutes of the match, to put a pace against tired legs?

Related but unrelated if you get a chance to see them, don't pass on the Foo Fighters. I saw them about a year-and-a-half ago in Birmingham (the one in Alabama), Dave Grohl put on a phenomenal show and just played for almost 3 hours continuous

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

It’s a summer festival with tribute acts. Meant to be tour grade acts playing so should be pretty good.

Blondie, Pink, Duran Duran, chilli peppers, Foo fighters and Queen.

Excuse for a get together and alcohol really haha!

We have one of those locally.

Personally I'd never go to one or watch a "tribute act" even as a one off (was Bjorn Again that kicked off the craze I believe).

Much prefer to go watch people I've never heard of playing their own music.

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

We have one of those locally.

Personally I'd never go to one or watch a "tribute act" even as a one off (was Bjorn Again that kicked off the craze I believe).

Much prefer to go watch people I've never heard of playing their own music.

Each to their own mate. I’ve been to one a few summers again and it was great fun. Music, alcohol and good food, and the right people all in one place is always a good thing. 

Stuff going on on the background, is just background 🙂

21 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Tribute acts are ok to relive your youth. Did see the real Fleetwood Mac at Wembley last month.

I understand why they exist nowadays, discussed it before on here (briefly; old days people toured to publicise their music and made their money from record sales hence "cheap" tickets, now "record" sale money is minimal so people make it from touring, hence £200 tickets and the like to see the real deal = tribute bands filling the gap, and good luck to them).

And another thing Gwlad, Fleetwood Mac were great I'm sure (I'd go and see them) but even they are Fleetwood Mac 2.0; I'd pay a lot more money to see the Peter Green era line-up, never going to happen obviously.

Anyway football, how does that work again?

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Not the happiest manager two weeks before the season starts. Not like any of what he says is a surprise, we needed strengthening in those positions in November. Can only assume the difficulties clearing the high wage baggage out is screwing our plans. 

Hate that he never takes responsibility about the the football being poor and is very Martinez. Fair enough preseason is more about fitness and I'd have no qualms if he said that's the most important thing but I want him to add he's disappointed the football isn't flowing and they'll work on it rather than blame the tired players and excusing the second match as it's the reserves. For me it wasn't the quality of the players that was the issue today, man for man we have more quality than Mainz, it's the tactics that aren't working/isn't creating enough chances. 

11 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Hate that he never takes responsibility about the the football being poor and is very Martinez. Fair enough preseason is more about fitness and I'd have no qualms if he said that's the most important thing but I want him to add he's disappointed the football isn't flowing and they'll work on it rather than blame the tired players and excusing the second match as it's the reserves. For me it wasn't the quality of the players that was the issue today, man for man we have more quality than Mainz, it's the tactics that aren't working/isn't creating enough chances. 

This.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

I disagree. Its about execution. He cant kick the ball. They kept Sevilla quiet but gave away a stupid penalty and then couldnt finish decent chances. The team is set up far better than it has been for ages, but the players have to do their bit.

I dont know enough about the Mainz team and I doubt you do either but our team was shite. We didnt have any forward players. Walcott hid from the ball and even when he had a good chance didnt want to take the shot on. Midfield was solid enough to start with but the full backs had already played and the CBs were a Championship RB and a kid. The team that finished was dreadful and I suspect most of them wont be Everton players in 2 years time. In fact Im not sure anyone other than Davies, Lossl and Adeniran will ever play more than 5 first team games in that time. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I disagree. Its about execution. He cant kick the ball. They kept Sevilla quiet but gave away a stupid penalty and then couldnt finish decent chances. The team is set up far better than it has been for ages, but the players have to do their bit.

I dont know enough about the Mainz team and I doubt you do either but our team was shite. We didnt have any forward players. Walcott hid from the ball and even when he had a good chance didnt want to take the shot on. Midfield was solid enough to start with but the full backs had already played and the CBs were a Championship RB and a kid. The team that finished was dreadful and I suspect most of them wont be Everton players in 2 years time. In fact Im not sure anyone other than Davies, Lossl and Adeniran will ever play more than 5 first team games in that time. 

No idea about them but it was clear as day our reserves are of a higher standard. We had all the ball just couldn't do anything with it, much like last season and the other two preseason games. We just don't create enough chances. I'm seeing nothing to show Silva is working on a solution, and most likely it'll be the Martinez madness same thing every week, philosophy over results. 

Perhaps I'm making wrong conclusion, hope so, but it seems Silva is not happy with the lack of signings, which translates with him not being happy with how Brands is doing his job? Surely it's a defensive strategy from him to explain the poor pre-season results, which isn't a good sign. I just hope the board and the manager are on the same page.

I have always maintained we needed 4 signings this transfer window a RB CB striker and LF winger, yet we buy yet another MF and a GK what the fuck is going on I can’t believe we took them with a plan in mind, possibly more just because they were available st the time. 

Silva now says we need another 5 signings and it’s possible to do it in the days remaining, this worries me we haven’t secured one of our main targets yet we are going for 5 the man is talking shit we could end up with a load of crap chasing that target, right now I would be happy with a CB and Striker both of proven ability, and then see where we are in January. 

Again we find ourselves in the same position why should I be so surprised in reality I’m not, I’m just once again pissed off with the cheap talk coming from the club since before the end of the season with the transfer situation, usual bollocks from them and me. 

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

No idea about them but it was clear as day our reserves are of a higher standard. We had all the ball just couldn't do anything with it, much like last season and the other two preseason games. We just don't create enough chances. I'm seeing nothing to show Silva is working on a solution, and most likely it'll be the Martinez madness same thing every week, philosophy over results. 

I didnt think so, especially not at the end when they were just waiting for us to force the pass. 

At the moment we are most suited to playing on the counter attack. Its how our best results came and it suits players like Richarlison, DCL, Walcott who are direct and cant unpick defences. Even at the end of last season, when it came to creating chances and taking them against teams that parked the bus it was much harder. Lots of the top teams struggle against these sides and with better players. Liverpool were struggling at the start under Klopp but now they are much better. It takes time to develop and isnt something that will be resolved in one season with a blunted attack.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

I have always maintained we needed 4 signings this transfer window a RB CB striker and LF winger, yet we buy yet another MF and a GK what the fuck is going on I can’t believe we took them with a plan in mind, possibly more just because they were available st the time. 

Silva now says we need another 5 signings and it’s possible to do it in the days remaining, this worries me we haven’t secured one of our main targets yet we are going for 5 the man is talking shit we could end up with a load of crap chasing that target, right now I would be happy with a CB and Striker both of proven ability, and then see where we are in January. 

Again we find ourselves in the same position why should I be so surprised in reality I’m not, I’m just once again pissed off with the cheap talk coming from the club since before the end of the season with the transfer situation, usual bollocks from them and me. 

We arent going to buy players that are wrong for the club or where opposition teams hold us to ransom. Mina, Bernard and Gomes wouldnt havent happened last year unless we were patient. These type of transfers usually involve a string of deals too. For example, we arent selling Gana until we have a replacement, the team we are trying to buy off probably arent selling until they have theirs and it goes on. Its like buying a house with a chain. The Delph deal could go through quickly because City didnt need a replacement. 

This time last year most people here were screaming for an extra midfielder (not including Gomes) as the thought of a season with Gana, Schneiderlin, Besic and Davies was too much for most people. They have all improved (bar Besic) but that doesnt mean that the position is solved so whilst it might not have been our first priority it is still a position that we needed an extra body and as I mentioned before it was an easy deal to get done. The GK signing is an obvious one too as it helps us loan Virginia so that he is going to be the keeper we want him to be in the future. The club needs to register 3 keepers and so it makes complete sense and once again it was an easy deal to do.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I didnt think so, especially not at the end when they were just waiting for us to force the pass. 

At the moment we are most suited to playing on the counter attack. Its how our best results came and it suits players like Richarlison, DCL, Walcott who are direct and cant unpick defences. Even at the end of last season, when it came to creating chances and taking them against teams that parked the bus it was much harder. Lots of the top teams struggle against these sides and with better players. Liverpool were struggling at the start under Klopp but now they are much better. It takes time to develop and isnt something that will be resolved in one season with a blunted attack.

I can't remember many games were we had a bucket load of chances. The way we played last season meant we got a fair few half chances but it doesn't create enough clear cut ones. We seem to have to work much harder than other teams and our expected goals is quite low, luckily we were clinical last season. 

Looking at Klopp his first season focused on fitness, purely getting the team pressing. He then tuned his counter attack. I don't see signs of Silva tuning the tactics, rather he's blaming the lack of signings at the minute and last season he used to babble after games rather than take responsibility.