IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

30 minutes ago, Palfy said:

We signed five players last summer, the first of which only signed on the 24th July 2018 (which is tomorrow this summer).

But the window closed on 30th August I believe last season not the 8th as this season, just to get a bit of perspective on the time scales involved. 

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

Newcastle just broke their transfer record nearly double what they have done before on a player I’ve never heard of. Not saying that’s a good or a bad thing just highlighting the difficulties of signing a player 

and i think he will be a flop.  11 in 35 in an easy league in germany.  he will have a very difficult time in the premier league.  

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

and i think he will be a flop.  11 in 35 in an easy league in germany.  he will have a very difficult time in the premier league.  

I think Aguero would struggle at Newcastle it pains me to say. My birth place team l don’t like them to do badly but I do fear for them this season 😢

I see a lot of people here saying don't panic. I don't feel panic personally just frustration that we need 3 or 4 first team players and so far we have 1 which isn't in a 'vital' position to strengthen. 

I know it isn't always possible with agents branding players about these days with ulterior motives, but it's a valuable asset in itself to have a player have the majority of a pre season with his new club and embed into the squad and philosophy. 

I hope we don't have a frantic last day and spend months embedding new players into the squad again. 

22 minutes ago, London Blue said:

I think Jesus would struggle at Newcastle. 

I'm not sure if the better response is

"He's only good because of the other 10 at City" or

"Roma would never sell him to an English club. Celtic maybe, England never"

Reader's choice ;) 

14 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Brentford just rejected £14 mill bid from villa for there winger we are selling Lookman for pretty much the same and selling McCarthy for £8mill? 

Its about the value of the player to the club. I imagine the Brentford player was a key man for them whereas McCarthy and Lookman dont get on our bench if everyone is fit. 

The difference to us from last season to this season is that we are in a much better place. We dont need half a squad again and we shouldnt rush out and buy the wrong players or fill positions that we already have competition for (ie number 10 a few years ago). 

We have differences of opinion on DCL but that position is our only first 11 weakness and if DCL got injured then we would really struggle. We would have the same problem with injuries at CB too. We needed a 3rd keeper to allow Virginia to go on loan so thats an important signing too even if its not important to the first team this season.

If we dont have another CF or CB by the close of the window I will be a bit concerned should the current players get injured but it doesnt mean we still wont compete as we did last year, hopefully better given our wobble in the winter.

Everybody gone crazy about Matijs De Ligt talent, yet it seem his successor is comming through the ranks of Ajax academy. Perr Schuurs, already training with the first team, seems like a world class potential: 

I think Brands should seek to establish close connections with these Dutch giants, with him being a Dutch himself. Some real gems can be found there, it will be nice if we can get our hands to them before anyone else does.

16 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Brentford just rejected £14 mill bid from villa for there winger we are selling Lookman for pretty much the same and selling McCarthy for £8mill? 

Dying for Villa to want one of our players. The fees they are paying are outrageous!!! Makes everyone else look sensible which is hard to do nowadays. 

IN: Lossl, Gomes, Delph
OUT: Vlasic, Galloway, Robinson, Sambou, Lookman
LOAN IN: 
LOAN OUT: Kenny, Sandro, Adedoyin, Dowell, JVirginia, Garbutt, Tarashaj, Bowler
YOUTH: Sebastian Kristensen
YOUTH pro deals: Ryan Astley, Kyle John, Anthony Gordon, Ellis Simms, Joe Anderson, Einar Iversen, Nicolas Hansen, Kieran Phillips, Korede Adedoyin, Mackenzie Hunt
CONTRACT EXT: Davies, Foulds, Ouzounidis, Baines, Mampala, Bowler

OFFICIALLY RELEASED: Jags(SheffieldUtd), A Williams, Lavery(Linfield), Hewelt(Meidz Legnica), JHilton(Blackburn), Charsley, Mathis(Rodez), Kiersey(Walsall), Bramall, Renshaw

22 hours ago, plaidharper said:

If / when we sell Gana and haven't brought in a replacement, I will be in the panic camp.

Do we need a Gana replacement? We have Gomes, Delph, Schneiderlin, McCarthy and Davies for those 2 positions of the obvious first teamers with Beni and Adeniran behind. 

If anything we need to flog at least one of those first teamers before we sign anyone else.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Do we need a Gana replacement? We have Gomes, Delph, Schneiderlin, McCarthy and Davies for those 2 positions of the obvious first teamers with Beni and Adeniran behind. 

If anything we need to flog at least one of those first teamers before we sign anyone else.

I think we should probably sell McCarthy. He showed some tenacity against Wigan when he came on, but he's definitely looking sluggish. I think Coleman suggested during the last Ireland friendlies that he was ready to move on from Everton.

Also, add in that Delph, Morgan, & McCarthy are 29/30, not that that's too old, but I'd like to bring in someone younger who can start learning/blending into the squad.

50 minutes ago, Bailey said:

How many of them are energetic ball winners though? McCarthy once was but now?

37 minutes ago, Matt said:

How many of them are energetic ball winners though? McCarthy once was but now?

Not many teams play with the role Gana does (and for good reason). McCarthy had a good engine but he wasn't frantic. Personally I'll be happy if Delph (or whoever) only tackles and intercepts half as much but holds position as it'll be better team overall (target than just a gold star for one individuals stats),  more so if he is willing to recieve the ball and able to drive the ball forward. 

21 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Not many teams play with the role Gana does (and for good reason). McCarthy had a good engine but he wasn't frantic. Personally I'll be happy if Delph (or whoever) only tackles and intercepts half as much but holds position as it'll be better team overall (target than just a gold star for one individuals stats),  more so if he is willing to recieve the ball and able to drive the ball forward. 

Sigh. Your blind whatever is still not wasting time on

42 minutes ago, Matt said:

Sigh. Your blind whatever is still not wasting time on

I asked on here previously for anyone to name a team that has a Gana style player at Centre Mid and no one mentioned one. Closest is a few DMs being named as similar to him. There's a reason you won't find one. Most likely as you'll not find one training academy teaching players to play as recklessly as Gana. Football is a team game, more so when it comes to defending. All the coaching is about being a unit. Gana breaks that unit and leaves us exposed. We don't need an exact replacement.