IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

3 minutes ago, StevO said:

If we started paying up contracts it adds up quickly. A player on £40k per week with one year left would be £2m. 

They have to recoup what they can. 

I know that I was responding to what was said before me, that’s why I started with if it’s just about wages that’s what we could do. 

It’s a balancing act for FFP and the future/ sell too much and we shrink and then limit our ability in the future to grow the wage bill and splash the cash.  Sell the dead wood and replace with less players that are more expensive and we continue to increase our limits for FFP with an eye to the future.

thats how I see it.

10 hours ago, Palfy said:

If it was just about the wages and not money to spend we would let the dead wood leave on frees or pay up their contracts, for the likes of Niasse Besic and Mirallas it wouldn’t be to costly but could save us well in excess of 100K a week in wages to be used on a top signing. 

That would be too expensive and also probably sends out the wrong message. Clubs rarely release players in this manner unless they are in dire straits in which case they usually negotiate some sort of deal with the players (e.g. "we release you if you only take half of the money left on the contract").

Players are still eligible for the money owed by the contract so there would be no savings. Player contracts are fixed-term so you can't just sack the players and stop paying. And I'm not sure how it would be counted in such a case. It could well be spread across the rest of the contract meaning no difference to keeping them or counting the entire wages for this year which would just increase total wages.

It would also incur big losses as player amortization values would drop suddenly. Club would make a big loss as every player released this way would be a double whammy as they are paid the rest of their contract plus their value in the books would drop to zero immediately. It's better to try to loan these players to someone who pays even part of the wages.

17 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

we need to cut down the squad by a large amount, even players like pennington need to go and yes it's not much money but we need the wages saved and the squad smaller.  walsh has us so bloated.  i want us ala Spurs trim and with a proper wage scale and youngsters able to come through.  

i ranted in another thread how i thought he wasn't good enough for this league.  i still don't think he's good or worth much.  DCL in that side would look that good too.

To be fair I’ve not seen much of Jesus, but when I have he was a handful. But it also proves my point that the striker definition requires to improve on DCL is just so difficult to find in this league so we’d have to gamble. 

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

To be fair I’ve not seen much of Jesus, but when I have he was a handful. But it also proves my point that the striker definition requires to improve on DCL is just so difficult to find in this league so we’d have to gamble. 

i agree wholeheartedly with the striker comment.  @pete0 made a great comment saying there are really only 2-3 great strikers in teh league, the rest are all meh (aguero, firmino, kane).  striker in the PL is a very hard position to fill, imagine what we would be with an in form lukaku....

On 23/06/2019 at 18:38, Palfy said:

With the players due to report back for preseason training on the 1st July should we expect to have the majority of our targets in place by the end of next week. 

I ask this because it would give the new signings the maximum amount of time to settle in, we keep seeing that we are supposedly looking for 4-5 players if that is the case surely Brands and Silva would have had a shortlist made up before last season ended so they could get on with doing the deals as soon as the window opened. 

If we don’t see the majority of our purchases concluded with in the next couple of weeks it would for me be quite disappointing we need to get everyone up to speed as a team sooner rather than later, last season was a good example of that with new signings coming in late and in different degrees of fitness. 

I thought I would repost this and see if the people who criticised me for being a tad premature still feel the same way, I’m more concerned that we haven’t made the statement signings that we need, we keep hearing from the club particularly Silva that he’s after another 4, that’s great I would like to see them but  again typical Everton lastminute.com, which worries me that we end up with panic buys. 

Am I still on my own again feeling very disappointed with our in comings to help us Iimprove from last season. 

Just now, Palfy said:

I thought I would repost this and see if the people who criticised me for being a tad premature still feel the same way, I’m more concerned that we haven’t made the statement signings that we need, we keep hearing from the club particularly Silva that he’s after another 4, that’s great I would like to see them but  again typical Everton lastminute.com, which worries me that we end up with panic buys. 

Am I still on my own again feeling very disappointed with our in comings to help us Iimprove from last season. 

no one has made a big signing, it would be too much to say who hasn't, so lets say who has made a big signing: 2 teams in man city (rodri) and spurs (ndombele).  a whopping 2 big signings, so no i am not worried, we are doing the same as everyone else.

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

no one has made a big signing, it would be too much to say who hasn't, so lets say who has made a big signing: 2 teams in man city (rodri) and spurs (ndombele).  a whopping 2 big signings, so no i am not worried, we are doing the same as everyone else.

The point being as well we want to be better than everyone else not copy everyone else, and not worried that we aren’t improving because there not improving, so 8th or 9th it is then. 

I agree, the shite have done nowt, united have bought cheaper signings. It’ll take one big un and then the dominoes will fall. I’d have loved more movement but we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. These players are multi millionaires it wasn’t like back in the day when a bigger club comes in for you you sign straight away. Clubs are desperate for quality and agents are agents 

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The point being as well we want to be better than everyone else not copy everyone else, and not worried that we aren’t improving because there not improving, so 8th or 9th it is then. 

i meant to say the market as a whole is slow this window.  if teams were popping off signings i'd be pissed, but they aren't.  something is wrong be it fees or agents or whatever, i still expect a big signing and i think well get that.  we just have to be patient.

Just now, Palfy said:

What do you think solution is though? As has been pointed out, very few big signings have been made at this point. Remember we had nobody in last year until July 24th. I imagine our staff wants these signings in as soon as possible but wanting it doesn't get it done. As you know there are a lot of factors that go into transfers and we can probably all agree that getting the right players in is more important than a week or two of time. In my opinion, it's actually less vital we get players in early than most years, given our soft early schedule. If there is criticism to be had it should at least wait until we actually see what they are able to accomplish in the window.

2 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Today is the 23rd July 2019. Last season we made our first signing, Richarlison on the 24th July 2018.

In effect, this time last season we had signed nobody yet this season we have signed two (Lossl and Delph). It constantly baffles me as to how people can hit panic mode and/or have a moan about us being ''lastminute.com'' without actually sitting back and looking at the facts. Throughout the past 18 months fans have been in agreement that we need to shift the deadwood that is costing the club a fortune due to inflated wages and it is perfect common sense to focus efforts on reducing this wage bill and shipping off the players that need to go as opposed to signing twenty-five new players in the hope that somehow it'll fix the problem. Brands' stance from the beginning has always been clear, reduce the squad size and add players as and when we need them. 

Last season, after making our first signing of the summer on the 24th we then went ahead and added Lucas Digne, Joao Virginia, Yerry Mina and André Gomes in what I'm sure you will agree was a productive summer for the club. If we replicate what we did last year (and I see no reason why we wouldn't) then alongside existing signings we'll have added four new players to the squad (which again, I assume you will agree is a successful summer). 

I can't speak for everyone else but I trust Silva and Brands a whole lot more than Koeman, Walsh and Allardyce. The opposite of what we have now is signing players left, right and centre which is how we ended up with Sandro Ramirez on over £100,000 a week, Davy Klaasen arguably out his depth in the Premier League alongside Wayne Rooney and Nikola Vlasic. Four players who have all since departed, admittedly Sandro on loan. 

You have to remember that this isn't FIFA or shopping in Tesco, it's simply ludicrous to assume that we can catch a plane to Italy, knock on Juventus' door to sign Kean before hitting ''speed-dial #01'' for the Ajax reception so that we can get Neres too and save on petrol. The signings that we want of excellent, hard-working players take time as we'll need to open and close negotiations with the player, his club and agent himself. Not to mention that there will be other clubs at the table doing the same and all the legwork in-between of the player going on holiday, taking time to think about his decision, viewing the club/city/houses etc.

If we are heading into the Crystal Palace game with what we have now then yes, it'll be a disappointing summer but there's two weeks left and it's only now that teams are getting into the swing of pre-season. As an example, we're rumoured to be interested in Malcom and FC Barcelona only starting their pre-season today, with Malcom himself in the squad. They're not going to let him go without having a last look at him which will delay the transfer that we so badly seek. Another club to look at is Manchester City, out in Asia at the moment with just the one signing in Rodri, Liverpool I believe haven't signed a single player yet? 

Don't panic. 🤗

Not interested in rumours if you look at the rumour count it probably goes into the hundreds, were is the striker the RB the CB the left footed winger the positions the management have said they are after, instead we get a GK on a free and a MF on the cheap which we don’t really need with the amount of MF we have at our disposal,  not to say he won’t be any good I’m very hopeful he can do a job for us quite were I don’t know. 

I’m not panicking I’m very disappointed with our transfer window to date with the clock ticking we need much better than we’ve got now to progress. 

Man City is a bad example because as we know they don’t need much. Same as Liverpool. Tottenham are prudent to say the least. United need a massive overhaul and haven’t done much really and Arsenal the same. I would have loved us to be on the front foot getting our targets in but I’m sure it doesn’t work like that. Just as we have our 1st 2nd option the player does too. I’m sure it’s a waiting game and marcel has said the important thing is getting the right player in eventually. Might not help Marco like 😂

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Not interested in rumours if you look at the rumour count it probably goes into the hundreds, were is the striker the RB the CB the left footed winger the positions the management have said they are after, instead we get a GK on a free and a MF on the cheap which we don’t really need with the amount of MF we have at our disposal,  not to say he won’t be any good I’m very hopeful he can do a job for us quite were I don’t know. 

I’m not panicking I’m very disappointed with our transfer window to date with the clock ticking we need much better than we’ve got now to progress. 

We signed five players last summer, the first of which only signed on the 24th July 2018 (which is tomorrow this summer). Basically, what you're saying is that you want our whole transfer business to be complete in a quicker time-frame than we began it last season, in what was considered a successful summer by the majority of the fanbase? You say it as if these players aren't even being spoken to, just because we haven't heard anything about a new striker doesn't mean that we aren't working around the clock to get one. If you were Silva would you be listing off each and every player that you wanted to sign in a press conference and sticking it on Twitter for the world to see? It's a secret for a reason, nobody is going to disclose what they are doing behind the scenes transfer wise as it'd be business suicide. 

Just out of interest I didn't say anything about rumours either so not sure where that part of your post has come from although I think it's clear you didn't read mine fully as you're complaining about us not signing four players when I've stated in detail how football business in the real world differs greatly to that on a PlayStation. Just because you personally aren't being made aware about Everton's transfer business doesn't mean that Silva and Brands are sitting in Finch Farm smoking Chilean cigars and doing crosswords.

Edit: @Finn balor if you want a better example regarding who has signed what then look at Wolves; playing European football this year and are yet to sign a single player. I'm sure some of their fans are jumping up and down too but they'll be in the same boat at us and the other 18 teams in the top flight. 

4 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

We signed five players last summer, the first of which only signed on the 24th July 2018 (which is tomorrow this summer). Basically, what you're saying is that you want our whole transfer business to be complete in a quicker time-frame than we began it last season, in what was considered a successful summer by the majority of the fanbase? You say it as if these players aren't even being spoken to, just because we haven't heard anything about a new striker doesn't mean that we aren't working around the clock to get one. If you were Silva would you be listing off each and every player that you wanted to sign in a press conference and sticking it on Twitter for the world to see? It's a secret for a reason, nobody is going to disclose what they are doing behind the scenes transfer wise as it'd be business suicide. 

Just out of interest I didn't say anything about rumours either so not sure where that part of your post has come from although I think it's clear you didn't read mine fully as you're complaining about us not signing four players when I've stated in detail how football business in the real world differs greatly to that on a PlayStation. Just because you personally aren't being made aware about Everton's transfer business doesn't mean that Silva and Brands are sitting in Finch Farm smoking Chilean cigars and doing crosswords.

Edit: @Finn balor if you want a better example regarding who has signed what then look at Wolves; playing European football this year and are yet to sign a single player. I'm sure some of their fans are jumping up and down too but they'll be in the same boat at us and the other 18 teams in the top flight. 

Not sure why u aimed that at me I pretty much said the same thing u did 

1 minute ago, Finn balor said:

Not sure why u aimed that at me I pretty much said the same thing u did 

The post wasn't aimed at you mate, I just saw that you'd posted about City/Liverpool being a bad example so I updated my post to reply to you too with an alternative.

3 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

The thing is it was Brands and Silva who said they were going to try and do their business earlier this season, sighting it was their late start that had them doing their business late, but this season they had time to see what they needed before the end of the season and earmark their targets early 🤷‍♂️ Maybe everyone else’s early is different to mine completely underwhelmed with what’s happened so far. 

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The thing is it was Brands and Silva who said they were going to try and do their business earlier this season, sighting it was their late start that had them doing their business late, but this season they had time to see what they needed before the end of the season and earmark their targets early 🤷‍♂️ Maybe everyone else’s early is different to mine completely underwhelmed with what’s happened so far. 

Well, they initially named 2 key signings; Gomes and Zouma. Gomes signed, Chelsea changed the management structure which looks like it killed the Zouma deal. One was sorted out quickly and cheaply, the other was taken out of our hands. So far as I remember, no one else was identified by name. There’s still weeks to go until the window closes and the season begins. I really struggle to understand your stress