IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

Given the system we play I can't see many strikers in the league giving more than what DCL already offers. 

There's not that many top strikers any more. Aguero is the only world class one and Firminio is perfect for the shites system but beyond them two there's not much many strikers in the league who would offer more than what DCL already does. 

If Silva could swap DCL for any striker in the league it'd be a short list. The likes of Vardy, Kane, and Lukaku wouldn't get a game under Silva. 

29 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Given the system we play I can't see many strikers in the league giving more than what DCL already offers. 

There's not that many top strikers any more. Aguero is the only world class one and Firminio is perfect for the shites system but beyond them two there's not much many strikers in the league who would offer more than what DCL already does. 

If Silva could swap DCL for any striker in the league it'd be a short list. The likes of Vardy, Kane, and Lukaku wouldn't get a game under Silva. 

Agree.

If DCL can get double digits for goals ( and similar for assists ) then I’m happy - Gylfi and Charlie are hitting good numbers and I expect Bernard will be more clinical this year.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

If DCL is our main striker all season then we'll do absolutely nothing this season. I really like him and want him to succeed here, but he's not good enough yet (maybe never).

I'll nail my colours to that mast right now.

How do you explain our run of form the last couple months of the season with DCL up top? 

DCL can't be our only striker going into the season.

Niasse and Tosun have shown they aren't good enough, especially in this system. Richarlison would reluctantly be my next choice, but both his form and Coleman's form improved when he moved to right towards the end of the season. We need another striker. I still think DCL needs a lot of improvement, and if goes down with an injury I think we'd be royally screwed. It's also very unfair to him to rely on him for a complete season.

19 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

How do you explain our run of form the last couple months of the season with DCL up top? 

I don’t need to. My opinion is that if DCL is our main striker for this season we’ll achieve nothing. I like him, I think he’s got good attributes and potential, but he’s not good enough to be the main man and I don’t want us to have to write another season off. 

i got faith in DCL and think we would be alright with him.  I"d still like us to get another striker but i think the more important issue is getting rid of the dead wood and freeing up funds.  we can't get a striker when we have 30 person squad and only need 23-24.  can't bring him in when we are in a lot of debt due to bad transfers either.  i honestly think it will be next summer if/when we see a striker come in.  

Even to outsiders everyone knows we need a striker that can finish. Away from home when we are on top and it happened numerous times last season we need someone to finish the chances and give us a platform to win the game. We have got goals in us from other areas sure and I’m expecting more from Bernie this season. But if we can get a striker that bags 15 plus aswell and someone that can create a bit of magic for himself it will make all the difference 

58 minutes ago, Matt said:

Because it wasn’t just him alone, which is why I get Romeys point even if I very much disagree

I agree that we need to bring in a striker but the idea that we can’t win with DCL up top is demonstrably false. We had our best run of form vs. top 6 competition in years with him as our striker. 

53 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don’t need to. My opinion is that if DCL is our main striker for this season we’ll achieve nothing. I like him, I think he’s got good attributes and potential, but he’s not good enough to be the main man and I don’t want us to have to write another season off. 

I’m just trying to determine what the basis for your opinion is. We were very good with DCL up top for a long run of games at the end of  last year. I appreciate (and agree) that we need to bring someone in who is better in front of goal. I simply find your negativity puzzling given that we did have success with him in the squad. 

1 minute ago, Sibdane said:

He was out-of-contract so not technically on the wage bill anymore. I believe the club was keen to resign him as he showed a lot of potential for the U-23s, but he obviously wasn't able to make the jump up. Mixed on this one.

thanks for the clarification.  they need to give that 48 goal u18 guy the u23 striker spot and see how he does.  probably why sambou made way.

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

I agree that we need to bring in a striker but the idea that we can’t win with DCL up top is demonstrably false. We had our best run of form vs. top 6 competition in years with him as our striker. 

Nowhere did I say we can’t win with him up front. But over a season he simple won’t be enough to get us where we need to be and I think we’ll actually finish lower than last season if that’s the case. Which will be another wasted season and we’ll have even more catching up to do. 

A striker should be the absolute priority this window, not a nice to have signing. 

2 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

And who’s to say it couldn’t have been even better with a decent striker on board, the amount of games we drew or lost with the lions share of possession because we never had a decent striker to turn our possession into goals, cost us last season and will cost us next season if we don’t get a decent striker in. 

And this isn’t rant at DCL he can only do what his ability allows him to do. 

DCl is a valuable player and a real asset to have but we need options up front. Tosun isn’t quick enough for the premier league most decent centre backs wouldn’t be worried about playing against him and, niasse is just well..... gash. I’m assuming Charley will be the third back up striker if we get injuries or dependant of the winger we bring in. A good striker is what we desperately need. I want to watch us go to Arsenal and Chelsea play well and get the goals from the chances we create. That’s the only way we close the gap to the teams we should be chasing by beating them on their own turf. We let them off the hook time and again 

Marco come out at the end of the season and said the targets are in place and they know who they want. Whether it’s agents holding up the moves trying to get a better deal for themselves or whatever but if marcel hasn’t got the players in place he isn’t doing his job. We as fans have no inner workings of football or what goes on there’s deals that fall through at the last minutes probably every hour. It could be that we are waiting for Neymar or bale to go which allows the big fish to sort themselves out and all the “smaller” clubs can get about their business and then it trickles down. Obviously there is going to me more outs this season but to me another four players that Marco wants is an indication that we want to do business but at a sensible price. The kean deal to me smells of Mina from last year. We know they need to sell after there huge outlay this season so maybe we have bid prudently? He could have been in a pink and teal kit by now if we would have gone off the Walsh blue print 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

He’d have been on (relative) buttons, and has done very well by all accounts. 

You do confuse me with your your... flexible approach to things :) 

we need to cut down the squad by a large amount, even players like pennington need to go and yes it's not much money but we need the wages saved and the squad smaller.  walsh has us so bloated.  i want us ala Spurs trim and with a proper wage scale and youngsters able to come through.  

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Thought of one id go for, and thatd be G Jesus from City. Otherwise...

i ranted in another thread how i thought he wasn't good enough for this league.  i still don't think he's good or worth much.  DCL in that side would look that good too.

If it was just about the wages and not money to spend we would let the dead wood leave on frees or pay up their contracts, for the likes of Niasse Besic and Mirallas it wouldn’t be to costly but could save us well in excess of 100K a week in wages to be used on a top signing. 

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

If it was just about the wages and not money to spend we would let the dead wood leave on frees or pay up their contracts, for the likes of Niasse Besic and Mirallas it wouldn’t be to costly but could save us well in excess of 100K a week in wages to be used on a top signing. 

If we started paying up contracts it adds up quickly. A player on £40k per week with one year left would be £2m. 

They have to recoup what they can.