IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Tbf, his form had nose-dived before the switch of position and we were getting destroyed week in, week out through the middle. So I can understand changing things in midfield and so should he.

I think he does understand it though and this is yet more lazy journalism.

100%. But understanding it doesn't mean he couldn't be frustrated too. 

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

Because he was finally given the position and freedom to be the player he can be, only to be plonked back on the wing. I understand that frustration. 

What I found unbelievable this season was Lampard after seeing what he could do in the middle of the park last season and the beginning of this, decided to stick him out wide on the right in favour of playing Gana in the middle not long after he joined at the end of the transfer window, for me that was the biggest mistake Lampard made as an Everton manager, and very soon after making those decisions things soon started to go tits up. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

His performances have definitely fallen off a cliff.

According to SofaScore he lost the ball 21 times against Chelsea and completed only 10 passes.

That can't be entirely down to being moved on to the right.

Im not entirely sure how the 21 times is calculated but yeh it was 10 pasess (40% accuracy) however whoscored says he lost the ball twice (in line with most of the team bar Gray on 11!)

In comparison McNeil made 11 passes (from 17 attempts), Doucoure & Gray 14 (from 18 and 17 respectively), Godfrey 8 (14), Seamus 12(22).

I think those particularly low numbers are a symptom of our playing style in the game but playing him wide does handicap him a bit because he can only play one way and he has to wait for creaky Coleman to support him.

11 hours ago, RuffRob said:

seems a relaxed and honest interview.

Says a lot about the club when he's met Moshiri only the once!!

Could be worse we could be Villa. 
Soeaking with the U23s they haven’t ever met the manager until they eventually make the first team squad.

Think it’s quite common not to meet the owner. 

10 hours ago, Shukes said:

Could be worse we could be Villa. 
Soeaking with the U23s they haven’t ever met the manager until they eventually make the first team squad.

Think it’s quite common not to meet the owner. 

Especially our owner, he probably wouldn't be able to resist sticking his nose in and giving him his opinion or tactical advice.

Seven assists didn’t realise we’d scored seven goals. Very honest in his answers we need to keep hold of the players who are proven to deliver and work hard, problem being that won’t go unnoticed by clubs who can offer him what he wants from his career, for that reason I don’t think he will be signing an extension to his current contract. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Seven assists didn’t realise we’d scored seven goals. Very honest in his answers we need to keep hold of the players who are proven to deliver and work hard, problem being that won’t go unnoticed by clubs who can offer him what he wants from his career, for that reason I don’t think he will be signing an extension to his current contract. 

He will be in a strong position next summer with one year left on his contract. However, he is not a player who takes any of the top 6 up a notch. just look at Richy, a much more useful player - but he is only a peripheral player at Spur. 

It is realistically only the top 6 who nailed on to be battling for European football. Squad wise after that next season you may have Newcastle and Villa expecting to be knocking on the door, and I wouldn't expect either of those to have Iwobi high on their list of transfer targets.  

Until he adds half a dozen goals a season to his game - he's a mid table Premiership at best, not a player who significantly improves your chances of European football (not in the Premier league).

What realistically is a big stage for him in the Premier League than Everton F.C if we remain in the league. I think Iwobi is simply waiting until he knows what league Everton are in next season - and that's the smart thing to do.

18 hours ago, RuffRob said:

He will be in a strong position next summer with one year left on his contract. However, he is not a player who takes any of the top 6 up a notch. just look at Richy, a much more useful player - but he is only a peripheral player at Spur. 

It is realistically only the top 6 who nailed on to be battling for European football. Squad wise after that next season you may have Newcastle and Villa expecting to be knocking on the door, and I wouldn't expect either of those to have Iwobi high on their list of transfer targets.  

Until he adds half a dozen goals a season to his game - he's a mid table Premiership at best, not a player who significantly improves your chances of European football (not in the Premier league).

What realistically is a big stage for him in the Premier League than Everton F.C if we remain in the league. I think Iwobi is simply waiting until he knows what league Everton are in next season - and that's the smart thing to do.

Who knows what options he will have in this country or abroad. As he said Everton’s style of football and the position doesn’t best suit his game but he’s more than prepared to play anywhere and give his all, and still he has 159 motm votes this season with the next highest on the 80, surely that should tell any doubters of his value to the team, I would go as far as to say we would be bottom of the league and dead certs to be relegated without him this season. But the Ganaretts will beg to differ and say he is a better player😂

15 hours ago, Palfy said:

he has 159 motm votes this season with the next highest on the 80, surely that should tell any doubters of his value to the team

He’s got so many because Lampard built his whole set-up around Iwobi - and while Iwobi looked incredible at the start of the season, the results didn’t follow. Under Dyche, Iwobi looks less effective from the the right but the whole team looks a much stronger unit - I still believe Iwobi is a more than useful component but not irreplaceable. The role Lampard played him in was a luxury are team couldn’t ‘carry’ - he could definitely play the role at a top European club though - I personally think he’d flourish in Italy.

Even when Iwobi was playing well, he was still making some fairly big gaffes as well. I think he stood out for us because of how bad everyone else was playing at the time too. You put him into a competent midfield and I think he struggles to play because he doesn't react like a central midfielder should or sense danger in the way they should. Ultimately it is that lack of discipline that has led to him being played wide right under Dyche.

9 hours ago, c1982 said:

He’s got so many because Lampard built his whole set-up around Iwobi - and while Iwobi looked incredible at the start of the season, the results didn’t follow. Under Dyche, Iwobi looks less effective from the the right but the whole team looks a much stronger unit - I still believe Iwobi is a more than useful component but not irreplaceable. The role Lampard played him in was a luxury are team couldn’t ‘carry’ - he could definitely play the role at a top European club though - I personally think he’d flourish in Italy.

I do agree Lampard was the the first manager to regularly play him in his favoured role, that started paying dividends for Lampard the last 10 or so games from last season, where Iwobi a long with Richarlison were instrumental in keeping us from relegation, this season he started in the midfield and was then switched to right wing when Lampard brought Gana back, I would say big mistake from Lampard which ultimately had a negative impact to how he wanted to play and went someway to costing him his job. The set up of Iwobi on the right working up and down that flank works well for Dyche who is looking for people who can work hard in both directions. Iwobi was our standout midfielder under Lampard and was top of the assists in the league at one point this season, but that part of his game was sacrificed to make way for Gana, now we don’t have stand out midfielder in sense of provider we have 3 mids who offer pretty much the same were fight and hard work is valued more at this moment in time than flair, which is understandable from Dyche considering the situation we are in. If we stay up this season and Dyche can get 2 or 3 players in I would like to see Iwobi given his forward middle role back, he’s the only real player we have who can create for others. 

I thought that was his best game for a while. A couple of lazy fuck ups but on the whole his performance was a really positive one.

I know Gray was playing up front but when he was in the same position as the wide players, there was a big difference in the ability of Iwobi and McNeil over Gray when it came to beating a man and getting a ball into the box.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I thought that was his best game for a while. A couple of lazy fuck ups but on the whole his performance was a really positive one.

I know Gray was playing up front but when he was in the same position as the wide players, there was a big difference in the ability of Iwobi and McNeil over Gray when it came to beating a man and getting a ball into the box.

Wholeheartedly agree, I thought he showed good composure on the ball made most of our crosses that found someone in and around the area, and travelled with the ball really well and showed great energy all through the game for effort thought him and Doucoure were excellent. 

10 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I've come to the conclusion that Alex Iwobi is an 'almost' player. You can mostly see what he's trying to achieve but he's just not quite good enough.

And that's why he's an Everton player and not an Arsenal player.

That maybe true and that could all most be said of every player in our team. Yet I would say without him this season we would be in a far worse position than we are now. His stats are generally in the top half of the team in all areas bar goal keeper. And then I look at our squad and can find no one I would replace him with, as Everton players go this season he’s been one of the best unfortunately that is the reality of where we are as a team.  

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...