IGNORED

Norwich (Home) Saturday November 23rd

markjazzbassist

I was gobsmacked anyone on here said they were happy with a team that included Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson and Tosun. Delusional thinking a team featuring those three can compete with any team in the Prem league. Silva is clearly delusional too and massively out of his depth. Another dreadful appointment by Moshiri. His position is untenable but I have zero faith Moshiri will get it right next time. What a fucking mess. 

1 minute ago, badaids said:

What’s Marco Silva getting for Christmas?

The sack. And a smaller Turkey. Actually he’ll get a massive turkey with the pay off he’ll get. And a job at somewhere like Brighton or Soton when they get rid of their manager.

Rafa in please.

Don't think it counts a ls a Xmas present in November

That was toxic at the end, felt like the last days of Roberto Martinez all over again. I've always tried to find the positives in Silva, but I said I'd personally give him the Southampton and Norwich games and we've taken three points which isn't enough. It wasn't particularly the defeat (although it's unacceptable) but the manner of it. Playing two defensive midfielders against a team set up for a draw with 4-5-1 is laughable and it showed as we created the square root of fuck all until the last 20 minutes when we swapped Schneiderlin for Iwobi. 

The squad is good enough to beat most in this league but a managerial team of Marco Silva and Luis Boa Morte just isn't working, it's time for change. Unfortunately, Benitez is on massive bucks in China so I don't know why he would swap a holiday in Asia for an absolute shambles at Goodison. People in the stands asking for Pochettino need to give their head a wobble, will get a Steven Gerrard tattoo if it happens. 

Feel a right mug being a ST holder.

Well we’re plumbing the depths of dross,  BC such a disjointed team who looked like they’ve only just met each other, and add to that their devoid of all confidence. I really can’t believe the manager put that team out, and then stood on the sidelines passively watch them be beaten by a very poor team. Silva is clearly out of his depth and we need to make the change now,, and give the new manager a few games to assess and see where his short term additions are needed.

Thoroughly  pissed off tonight.

5 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

The squad needs a serious overall and Moshiri needs to accept that he has spunked millions on absolute garbage.

We've gotten rid of actually functional players like Steven Naismith and replaced them trash like Tosun over the years.

Most of our younger players aren't really up to standard and only perform in fits and starts whilst also being prone to catastrophic mistakes.

Bug name players are massively underperforming and some, Schneiderlin, are absolutely dismal.

It's as if our recruitment team don't understand the profile of what makes a successful Premier League player.

We have some very good players at the cub, and some very talented young players.

We also have players from the Fat Sam and Ronald McDonald era that need to go.

What we need is a manager who can coach them, and has the tactical knowledge to get them to play to a coherent strategy.

24 minutes ago, London Blue said:

We have some very good players at the cub, and some very talented young players.

We also have players from the Fat Sam and Ronald McDonald era that need to go.

What we need is a manager who can coach them, and has the tactical knowledge to get them to play to a coherent strategy.

Sounds like Rafa or Moyes. 

Totally shocked at what I saw today. No midfield what so ever (only Davies came out with some credit) and our spine non existent.

Players who are not good enough for out top 6 hopes (could say top 10); Sidibe, Gylfi, Holgate, Walcott, Tosun, Scheids.

Showed them to be squad fillers only - I know we have major injuries but that should not be the main reason for tjis mess.

We need someone new in to ruffle feathers and tell it like it is.

I wish people would stop mentioning Benitez. He made odd decisions that cost games when at Liverpool and hasn't exactly had much success since then. Benitez or Moyes or Crooked Sam would be something of a disaster, in my opinion. Given the games coming up in the next six weeks, whoever is in charge is likely to lose most if not all, so a new manager is going to be hesitant to start until after that period. Kudos to Unsworth if he's willing because it's something of a poisoned chalice right now.

8 hours ago, Cisk said:

Totally shocked at what I saw today. No midfield what so ever (only Davies came out with some credit) and our spine non existent.

Players who are not good enough for out top 6 hopes (could say top 10); Sidibe, Gylfi, Holgate, Walcott, Tosun, Scheids.

Showed them to be squad fillers only - I know we have major injuries but that should not be the main reason for tjis mess.

We need someone new in to ruffle feathers and tell it like it is.

Of all the horrible, no good transfers we've made over the past few years, I think Gylfi is the worst. We paid more for him than the shite paid for Salah. But every Everton manager has felt compelled to play him even though it is pretty clear his only real value is set pieces. And you're #10 has to have more value than just set pieces. It is really incredible--he was good for a Swansea team that was bordering on (and eventually got) relegation. He's just not a premiere league quality player and especially not one worth 45 million pounds. A brave manager would bring him off the bench and Marco  has done that from time to time with decent results. But his persistence in the starting lineup is a mystery to me. He can't get on the ball, he can't stay on the ball, and he can't do anything with it unless he's got acres of space. 

Fuckinghell, what wasn't wrong yesterday?

Silva - Why have we gone back to Sigurdsson as the no. 10? Iwobi gave us more there in the time he was on the pitch. Why pick so many slow players again? 1 is ok, we can cope with that, but to pick so many of them, and in such key positions, is fucking ridiculous. His whole performance was summed up with the substitution of Sidibe with Coleman at the end when we're chasing a goal to salvage a point. Kean may as well go back Italy today.

Pickford - made an outstanding save in the first half but his distribution was atrocious. I don't just mean his kicking. He slowed everything down needlessly by keeping hold of the ball when there were players free to receive it quickly.

Sidibe - In the first 5 minutes he was done twice by a ball looped over him for their winger, Hernandez, to receive the ball in acres of space and attack us. I thought we had Eeyore playing yesterday because he was an absolute donkey. I started looking for Winnie the Pooh but couldn't find him. In retrospect I must have just got confused by looking for one person because they were all SHIT.

Holgate - Can't doubt his commitment but he did not defend well and didn't win many battles.

Mina - I thought he was OK but I can't bring myself to watch the goals back and people say he was at fault, so add him to the shit pile.

Digne - His brilliant deliveries have joined the countless other players that lose them at Everton Football Club.

Walcott - Probably our best performer to be honest, and he wasn't even that good. At least he had a go when he had the ball.

Schneiderlin - He does know he's supposed to be a DEFENSIVE midfielder, right? Do some bastard defending!

Davies - Like Holgate, can't criticise his commitment and he never once gave up and was always available to receive the ball, but he wasn't good in my opinion. He was a bit slow in his mind for me and consequently lost the ball in very dangerous areas.

Richarlison - A subdued game from him I thought. Very little playacting, if any, and just a quiet day from him.

Sigurdsson - I thought the lesson of don't play Sigurdsson as the no. 10 had been learnt but I guess not. How he played the ninety minutes is a mystery.

Tosun - Yoo hoo, is anybody there?

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Fuckinghell, what wasn't wrong yesterday?

Silva - Why have we gone back to Sigurdsson as the no. 10? Iwobi gave us more there in the time he was on the pitch. Why pick so many slow players again? 1 is ok, we can cope with that, but to pick so many of them, and in such key positions, is fucking ridiculous. His whole performance was summed up with the substitution of Sidibe with Coleman at the end when we're chasing a goal to salvage a point. Kean may as well go back Italy today.

Pickford - made an outstanding save in the first half but his distribution was atrocious. I don't just mean his kicking. He slowed everything down needlessly by keeping hold of the ball when there were players free to receive it quickly.

Sidibe - In the first 5 minutes he was done twice by a ball looped over him for their winger, Hernandez, to receive the ball in acres of space and attack us. I thought we had Eeyore playing yesterday because he was an absolute donkey. I started looking for Winnie the Pooh but couldn't find him. In retrospect I must have just got confused by looking for one person because they were all SHIT.

Holgate - Can't doubt his commitment but he did not defend well and didn't win many battles.

Mina - I thought he was OK but I can't bring myself to watch the goals back and people say he was at fault, so add him to the shit pile.

Digne - His brilliant deliveries have joined the countless other players that lose them at Everton Football Club.

Walcott - Probably our best performer to be honest, and he wasn't even that good. At least he had a go when he had the ball.

Schneiderlin - He does know he's supposed to be a DEFENSIVE midfielder, right? Do some bastard defending!

Davies - Like Holgate, can't criticise his commitment and he never once gave up and was always available to receive the ball, but he wasn't good in my opinion. He was a bit slow in his mind for me and consequently lost the ball in very dangerous areas.

Richarlison - A subdued game from him I thought. Very little playacting, if any, and just a quiet day from him.

Sigurdsson - I thought the lesson of don't play Sigurdsson as the no. 10 had been learnt but I guess not. How he played the ninety minutes is a mystery.

Tosun - Yoo hoo, is anybody there?

Spot on for me, three key mistakes were Schniederlin, Sigurdsson and Tosun, all too slow, if we had started with Benni, Iwobi and DCL we would have had more pace and a CF who could win an aerial challenge, hold the ball and bring others into play. Silva is doing a great job of showing me that he is clueless and doesn’t have the ability to take us forward, in fact it’s the opposite he’s putting into deep deep trouble. I wanted him to come here, but it’s just not working, time to cut the ties.

If anyone fancies a bit of self harm I would urge them to go back and watch the highlights of this game on Sky because it has certainly changed my mind about the game.

We start well and are certainly on top. Walcott has a chance within seconds if he hits it rather than trying to take a touch.

After that initial chance we roll it on, we shift the ball right and in front of Mina there is a vacant 15-20 yard space. Siggy and Tosun are making their way across so there isnt much they can do. Walcott starts off marking himself but moves into the space but running towards our goal rather than ready on the half turn. It goes into him but its pointless as it can only go backwards. If Walcott is in the space, like a player like Bernard would be, he would have options but instead Walcott actually tries to turn and loses it. Good position wasted.

Next clip is Digne just getting walked past by Hernandez with Richarlison sticking out a lazy leg and they have their first shot. Unbelievably easy.

Next is Sidibe running forward with the ball (and almost out of play). Walcott and Siggy are marked but there is an acre of space in front of Davies in which he works his way into (via a Schneiderlin forward pass), Davies plays it back out to Sidibe and we are in a great position until Sidibe more or less passes it to their keeper when he has a really simple cut back to Siggy who is in acres of space, who would have had Davies in space next to him as well. Massive chance missed, it really should be a clear cut chance.

The next move starts with good defensive work from Davies, Siggy and Sidibe stopping the Norwich counter and then the ball is recycled with Davies in acres of space again. He has early balls to Tosun and Richarlison but he dwells on the ball and the pass is no longer on so he plays it back to Digne. We then shift the ball right from Holgate to Schneiderlin. The latter plays another forward pass through the channel to Walcott who finds a nice pocket of space. Again though Walcott plays it straight back to Mina despite having time to turn. The ball works to Sidibe though who has made a good run and he plays a decent cross into Tosun, and a quick one-two with Siggy registers our first shot. Half chance at best but it was good play between them two. Cute little movement by Tosun to create half a yard and Siggy breaking forward. How it should be.

Sidibe then gets back on the ball near the half way line. Siggy is marked by two players in front of him and then Davies and Schneiderlin are parallel to each other. There is acres of space in front of them both, albeit with a man following the former. Davies runs back to goal, Schneiderlin inches forward but Tosun pulls off his man and also finds a good pocket of space, aided by Walcott pressing high up the pitch. He brings it down on the turn and rolls a ball into Walcott. Walcott also turns aided by the run of Sidibe and then he has Siggy and Tosun in space for the cut back. Walcott drives into the box, becomes unbalanced and the pulls the shot. That should have been a much bigger chance than it was. If Walcott gets his head up we are in a situation where two of our best finishers have space and time to get a shot off on the edge of the box. Siggy in particular has a clear line through to goal. Another massive chance.

Moving on we get to Holgate, centre of the pitch in their half. We have probably just had a failed attack to the right as the team is lopsided to that side. He has a ball to Richarlison or Digne. He plays it wide to the Frenchman. Richarlison comes short into the space. Davies is nearby but he holds his position when he should be running in behind Tettey into a wide channel. Siggy is coming across who I think could also do the same but if he does it he will drag the defender chasing him with it whereas Davies will pull a CB towards him creating more space for Siggy and or Tosun. Richarlison doesnt take the ball on the turn so he is running towards the touchline. If he had more awareness he would have seen that Tettey had followed him and Davies was free even stood in the position he was without making the run. Richarlison plays it into Digne who does the same thing. No idea of who is around and Davies has finally started to move into that space. I watched the highlights of the Utd 4-4 game and Pienaar is in similar situation before the Jelavic first and he faints down the line, turns inside and the space opens up for him. This is exactly the same position Digne is in but he plays the safe one-two down the line. Davies stops making the run because I think everyone including Siggy and Tosun are thinking cross, which he does and it gets blocked. That attack had the potential to get us into the penalty box with relative ease but instead we ended up closer to the corner flag.

Now we roll onto their big first attack. They beat the initial press from the corner. The runners are all on the far side and Digne and Holgate are free. Holgate gets himself in no mans land. He is undecisive. Schneiderlin is holding his position in front of the centre backs. All of our defensive players have eyes on the ball. Mina and Sidibe do step up to catch Pukki offside but they arent aware of the second run of Hernandez. I watched Sheffield Utd last night and without doubt I can say that one of the DM or the CB would have flown out to the man on the ball who has 15ish yards of space and all the time and space in the world to play a pass. In my view, Holgate should press and if he does, I would expect Scheiderlin to cover the run behind him. Instead neither of them do anything and they effectively double up on Mina and as he stops for the offside trap, Hernandez has flown past him. Pickford makes a very good save and Sidibe does well on the cover. Its a real mess and we should have conceded.

Next up is what should have been a great counter attack for us. Tosun does well to header the ball to Siggy who should be playing a ball into the path of Walcott (on the volley) to run onto. He gets it wrong and its behind Walcott and straight to the defender. Sidibe has already started going himself but now also doesnt know what to do as he is 2 v 1 and he hesitates. Schneiderlin actually reacts very well and sees what is coming and hares across to cover and then drop in. If the ball goes into the box goes to Pukki, Holgate has completely lost him. Instead Digne and his player both go underneath the ball and it drops to Cantwell. At this point Davies is ambling back like he is having a Sunday afternoon stroll but to his credit Schneiderlin in what is a world class piece of defending gets across from the right hand channel to get back across to get a toe on Cantwell's shot which probably stops a goal. At least Davies has the decency to give him a clap.

I think its safe to say the nerves are kicking in for the players now. The next two clips, show another safe ball wide from Siggy instead of moving the ball to the opposite flank and leaving Digne having to deal with an awkward ball which he makes a hash of. Then Sidibe hoofs a ball straight up in the air when he could take it down. Walcott takes a bad touch, tries to turn (again terrible body position) and then goes down trying to dribble with Sidibe having already run past him. Davies fills in and between Holgate, Mina and Schneiderlin they crowd Norwich out and block the shot.

That is all I can be arsed with as its getting late but what these first half highlights say to me is:

1. We have players who really aren't comfortable taking the ball on the half turn and lack awareness as to what is around them (Walcott massively);

2. We almost always play the easy ball 30-50 yards from goal to the flank (Schneiderlin and Tosun aside) and then we get in the final third we seem to take on the more difficult chance or pass when really good and easy options are available;

3. Siggurdson, Tosun, Schneiderlin are not the problem. Walcott, Holgate, Sidibe and to an extent Richarlison are, either through a lack of quality or a lack of some really basic fundamental football awareness and technique;

4. Either Silva is telling his side to play wide at pretty much all cost or they just don't have the bottle to try and play through teams or to move into space;

5. Silva probably isn't coaching them about how to receive the ball properly as someone like Pep would;

6. The sooner Bernard gets fit the better.

I really believe Bailey they are just all so lacking in confidence that they don’t want the ball and are scared to try anything more than what they perceive to be safe. If players don’t want the ball then there are less runs, options & passes available so we become more negative and it’s incredibly difficult to turn it round as it a downward spiral. 

I thought I would continue this onto the second half just to see what happened:

1. Holgate lets Pukki run by him but then makes amends with his pace as the ball is played through only to be brushed to the ground by Pukki but luckily Digne is on hand to cover and get the tackle in.

2. Schneiderlin gets the ball just in our half. Not much on but he quickly spreads a long ball wide to Digne down the left. When Digne has it controlled he has Siggy in loads of space (calling for it too). Tosun could even be played through a he has space behind his marker to get straight through to goal (albeit a tough pass). Richarlison is starting a run wide and therefore away from goal and guess where he goes... yep to Richarlison. He at least makes the underlapping run and gets the ball back. He gets a bit lucky as Cantwell misses the tackle/block. Siggy is free again on the edge of the box, Tosun has a yard but with a few red shirts near. Davies is free at the other edge of the box. Digne misplaces the ball back to Siggy, which should have led to a shot on goal and it makes its way to Davies. He can only really lay it back to Schneiderlin. Yet another waste of a good position. When Schneiderlin ha the ball at his feet, only Siggy actually makes some sort of movement, albeit away from goal, that run frees Richarlison into a little pocket of space and the ball gets to him. Richarlison plays a first time ball to Siggy and then Siggy does the same to Digne who has made a run. Digne then has an easy ball to Tosun, maybe 5 yards at most, and he hits it a yard in front of him and way too fast and the Turk has no chance. Ball cleared behind for a corner. This whole highlight shows truly awful football from Digne. His movement is good but his decision making and execution was just dreadful. That is at least 2 shots on goal that we should have had.

3. The next clip is the resulting corner where the ball eventually falls to Tosun (another half decent ball by the much maligned Schneiderlin) but its a great block by the defender.

4. The next clip is another corner, where Schneiderlin's shot is blocked. Davies does well to read the situation and then we recycle the ball through Sidibe. He doesnt have a lot on so he knocks it wide to Digne. He doesnt have much on, Walcott is strangely running towards him, Richarlison has the channel for a through ball but thats about it. Walcott stops running away from goal and Digne plays the ball to him. Walcott decides to try and whip a cross in from a deep position when he has Davies in acres of space in the middle. The ball goes nowhere an an Everton player and Krul can catch and counter.

5. This then leads into us pressing pretty well with Siggy and Tosun. Davies also did a good job of cutting off the passing lanes. The long ball from Krul is won by Mina, Siggy doesnt really challenge the 2nd ball but Sidibe intercepts and we are on the attack again. He is under pressure and the only ball he really has is to Walcott, again back to goal. He is able to turn though and has an option of Davies through the middle making a run into the space (good lad) or Sidibe who has run past him. He chooses Sidibe (shock). Sidibe has his back to goal again now as the ball was slow to him and now we are in trouble because everyone near is marked. We have essentially played our way into a corner. Walcott makes a run but its too late as the ball can't get to him. Sidibe is under pressure and plays a weak ball to Mina. Mina goes into a 50/50 and the ball eventually gets played forward down our right hand channel. Mina and Sidibe are both out of position due to what happened before, and they are 3 v 1 with Schneiderlin trying to get back to help the odds. Schneiderlin who is already booked cant make a foul on Pukki from the wrong side so they have us on the run. Credit to the players, Sidibe is back, Schneiderlin gets into a good defensive position, Holgate and Digne are also well positioned, the ball comes across the pitch but Holgate is weak in the tackle and doesn't make it but he does enough to allow Mina to make the tackle and clear to Richarlison who plays a one-two with Siggy and we should be on the counter but the ball back to him is shite and they clear. We could have had a 3 v 3 but instead it results in a goal kick. This whole passage of play results from a string of poor decisions and/or poor execution.

6. This then rolls into our short goal kick. Holgate has the ball with 3 options. Schneiderlin is running into the left back channel to get the ball, Davies is in acres of space in the middle and Mina is in the right centre back slot. He could also carry the ball further as well if he wanted to as there is next to no press. The ball goes to Schneiderlin. Its the easiest pass and it continues the wide-at-all-costs theme. If the ball goes to Davies, 2 of their players are taken straight out of the game. When Schneiderlin gets it he has the easy ball down the line or either a risky ball square to Davies and maybe a ball into Richarlison but he is marked. Siggurdson is making a run off the back of one of the midfielders. The ball goes to Digne, but he has no real options to him. Richarlison is trying to get in behind but marked, Tosun the same. Siggy is marked by two leaving the best options being a ball back to Schneiderlin to start again or to shift the ball onto his right and play it to Davies through the middle (in space yet again). He does shift it and thinks about the ball to Davies but he clearly doesn't like it enough, which I dont blame him for, and then its back to Schneiderlin, who play it to Davies but he is now picked up and pressed so its back to Holgate to shift to the other side. Mina runs into their half with the ball but he has'nt got a lot on which is a disappointment. Tosun is between players and could take the ball but it would be a risky pass, Davies is dropping in to cover the run of Mina. Siggy is free but its a slightly longer than ideal pass and the long cross field ball to Digne is on. I cant see the right hand side of the pitch at this point but there is a massive channel between Norwich's left full back and left centre back. Walcott makes a great run, Mina spots it but just overcooks the pass and it gets to Krul. This is then the start of their goal. Long ball forward, Holgate loses the header and it falls to Pukki. Digne inexplicably stops. Mina shows Pukki into Holgate, Holgate doesn't make the tackle. Mina steps in but doesn't get enough on the ball and Pukki is able to slot the ball into the path of the onrushing Cantwell who has been left all alone by Schneiderlin and they score. I dont think both full backs really cover themselves in a lot of glory but three players had the chance to stop that goal happening and they all fucked it up.

7. Iwobi is now on and Siggy is deeper. Siggy plays a great ball into Digne who makes an excellent run but his header back is just too far away from Richarlison to control. Norwich counter but we get back well and sit into a good shape. It looks much easier to play through the lines though due to the slight change in personnel/shape. They arent getting anywhere but SIdibe makes a silly challenge and they get a freekick. No-one is marking the player that eventually has a shot on goal which should be 2-0.

8.DCL is now on, he gets the ball on the left. He has some space to run into on the edge of the box but he plays the pass to Siggy. He shifts it brilliantly and plays the ball into Iwobi who has found some pace. Coleman (also on) makes a good overlapping run and Siggurdsson makes a great run into the box but Coleman cant make the simplest of passes. That should be another clear chance.

9. We then go onto have two more well worked half chances, both to Siggy, one blocked, the other (off of a poor touch from DCL and not an attempted pass) is too close to the keeper.

10. Richarlison takes a throw in on the turn, Iwobi is in space and we start off another attack. Tosun makes a smart run across the face of the defender, Iwobi finds him and the snap shot is saved. DCL can't get to the follow up, however I am curious as to why he didnt run goal side of the defender because if he did he would have had a tap in. Its unusual to see a striker run behind the defender like that? The ball gets recycled, another ball into the box gets laid off by Coleman and Iwobi has a terrible shot. Siggy is once again free and in space in the box.

11. The last real clip is their 2nd goal. Lots happens but it starts with Davies going down with an injury giving them more space than normal. The CB's should deal with it but they don't and then Siggy who does well to get back and make the interception/tackle, inexplicably just plays the ball straight to their attacker to leave him 1 v 1 with Pickford.

It more or less mirrored the first half with some very poor decision making and execution. Digne was poor, Walcott bar the odd run was a hindrance, and Holgate and Mina just not at the races. When Iwobi came on our attacks were far better than with Walcott, he actually found good spaces and opened his body and played the ball forward instead of turning and running into trouble, or just playing the ball backwards. Davies and Siggy found lots of space, time and time again but the rarely received the ball in the highlights package. Siggy was actually very good in this game (last goal aside) but his teammates let him down time and time again. Even Tosun was in enough space and showing for the ball had the man on the ball taken the chance to play the ball into him, or through the channel.