IGNORED

Chelsea (Home) Saturday December 7th

markjazzbassist

Really nervous when I saw that line up but the players gave everything today. Been so long since I felt this happy after a game. Loved Dom running up to big dunc after he got his second. Loved Dunc celebrating every goal like it was the final of the champions league. Loved the lads working hard for each other all game, a few rusty moments but we didn't give Chelsea a clear opportunity today. 

Up the fucking toffees! 

credit to Dunc, he got them running through walls and the old school 442 worked.  now that won't work everytime and i don't think the Ranieri Leicester style 18% possession is something we should continue with, but it worked here and credit to him.

the players did well, comical that players that have been slated on here like Gylfi, Sidibe, Morgan, DCL, all put in great shifts and worked hard.  seems the manager wasn't getting enough out of them or the system didn't suit them.

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Memma has gone very quiet. Not complaining mind you.

Enjoying the game!!! that was the most enjoyable game I have watched for a long time. It shows how much influence the manager has. I have never had a good view on DCL always think he is not up to prem league level. I agree today he is up to it but I stand by the fact his days are not often enough he needs more goals if he is going to be The Man. Richarlson looks dangerous every game, I know they are different players but he doesn't have enough good perfomances.

10 minutes ago, memmaclub2 said:

Ossie just made a good point on BT DCL had a partner today. I do agree that made him better

Yeah looked miles more comfortable with someone ip with him. It's strange that throughout Silva's tenure he refused to partner him despite him being the ideal striker to have a partner. 

Jesus that was some game. Palfy was right in that it was emotional. Would have loved to have been there today.

Today's game just showed that actually football is a simple game. Two banks of 4, intense pressing, stay narrow and get a toe in when you can. Then when we got hold of the ball we got it forward, because we have forwards in DCL and Richarlison that can bully centre backs and Walcott and Iwobi themselves were breaking forward in support. In that first goal we had 3 or 4 in the box.

I don't think any of the starters played particularly badly, the weakest was Iwobi but I wouldn't have said he was dreadful and he did get better as the game went on. Davies came on and bar fluffing the chance that did eventually lead to the goal, he was well off the pace.

Its very difficult to say who was MOTM, I thought DCL put in a huge effort all game, as did Richarlison.  The former found a teammate more often than not with his headers as the game went on. He showed why he should be starting in games like these as he will ruffle decent defenders.

Walcott was sharp, just not in front of goal. I thought he did a very good defensive job. He was very sharp in his closing down, he held his position well and he caused them problems with his pace.

I'm not sure which central pairing should get the biggest plaudits because, both Keane and Holgate and Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson were fantastic together. Yes individually they made mistakes but they had each others backs time and time again. Where one would get a shove on the attacker getting them off balance, the other would be making the tackle. When the ball went behind one, the other was in there clearing in behind. It all sounds very simple and it is if you have footballers with a brain who are confident in what their partner is going to do. All 4 players have copped a fair amount of stick recently but they showed what they are about today.

Down the flanks I couldnt really fault anyone either. Digne seemed to improve as the game went on. He was a bit wary of Iwobi to start with but again he trusted him more as the game went on, its just a shame that he has now picked up a niggle. It didn't go unnoticed to me that when Baines came on he made a number of full or part blocks which was exactly what we needed in those final minutes. I think a special mention should go to Sidibe, whilst he was fair from faultless the number of times he got back, covered the runner, made a tackle, got forward and offered an outlet was unreal. He seemed to cover every blade of grass on the right side of the pitch.

Special praise should go to Ferguson. The players came out and were confident. That was a massively patched up side, one that I don't think anyone really fancied to get a point let alone all 3 points and in such a quick turnaround since the derby drumming he has got them organised, got their heads up and playing for each other and the club. It also poses the question a to whether this is what we want to see more of? If so, Dyche must be high on the list of managers. I remain dubious about how well it would work against teams lower down the league who will sit in deep but I can certainly see the appeal of seeing more football like that every week.

Fucking hell, what a performance and atmosphere that was. There really is no place I’d rather be when Goodison is like that. I have no voice left at all and I’m happy as anything about it.

It wasn’t a performance full of quality or brilliant passages of play but what it had was grit, passion and determination in an abundance. There wasn’t any player that wasn’t giving all they could. The defence looked ropy at times but instead of capitulating everyone was determined to stop Chelsea from scoring. Where we’d usually fall to pieces once Chelsea got one back there was steel about us and a will to see the job through. And this was while we were clearly knackered after giving everything. I’m proud of them all. 

Brilliant win. Substance over style.

Whatever we question Ferguson about, we can't question his genuine passion for the club. It's a strange one because you'd like to see him have more games to see how he fairs, you never know! But then you also want the board to show that they know exactly what the next plan is and appoint someone asap.

Today, Ferguson passed his initial audition as a Manager. I'm sure he'll make that step with a club shortly now that he has tasted it.

Obviously a big difference today in terms of our intensity, highlighted by a very telling stat. We out tackled Chelsea 37-15. If you exclude fouls conceded that number is 23-6. Really drives home the point that we were extremely physical and made it hard on them. If we can keep up that sort of effort then, regardless of the result, nobody will want to play us.

We go the game for days like that 💙 Unbelievable atmosphere at Goodison today that would have given us the advantage over any team, it makes sitting in the cold and seeing us lose to the likes of Norwich worth it to be a part of that crowd. All praise must go to Ferguson for getting the team that fired up and for ensuring that the crowd didn't stay quiet - the levels of grit, determination and passion carried us through that performance, especially when we could have crumbled at 2-1. 

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Strangest sub?

We were starting to really tire and Chelsea were growing more and more into the game. Having two tired strikers would have ended in tears really so it made sense to take one of them off (Charlie the best option as he was on a yellow) and tighten up the midfield with an extra man. 

Fantastic match to be at, it made up for the disappointments of recent weeks. It was a joy to be at the The Grand Old Lady and feel the roar of the crowd.. Everyone played well, Iwobi could have made more of an impact in all aspects of his game. It felt like a weight had been taken off the players shoulders with them playing more positively, very pleased to see we didn’t play out if defence too much, in our position it’s the wrong thing to do imo. 
cant wait for our next home game COYB