IGNORED

Qualifying for Europe

The premier league is so competitive though that no team can really guarantee champions league football every year. Over the next few years Man U, Chelsea, Spurs and maybe even liverpool might find themselves in this competition while an Everton, Leicester maybe West Ham take a Europa or champions league spot. 

Take what we get and get a squad capable of competing in all comps!

I have no earthly idea what the rules are for who qualifies and how. It's very possible that both the CL and EL winners finish in the top 4. Plus with City winning the league cup and either Leicester or Chelsea winning the FA, I am absolutely lost in terms of which places qualify for Europe.

Anyone have any insight?

The early rounds of the Europa League remind me of 'Jeux sans Frontieres' (for those who remember Stuart Hall and Eddie Waring).

Remember what happened the last time we played in Europe before we had the squad for it? I would not want to inflict on our team a freezing night in Kazakhstan the Thursday before a derby game. Let's stay focused on building for the long-term instead of participating in a tournament for which we're not yet ready.

9 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The early rounds of the Europa League remind me of 'Jeux sans Frontieres' (for those who remember Stuart Hall and Eddie Waring).

Remember what happened the last time we played in Europe before we had the squad for it? I would not want to inflict on our team a freezing night in Kazakhstan the Thursday before a derby game. Let's stay focused on building for the long-term instead of participating in a tournament for which we're not yet ready.

THANK YOU

18 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

But arsenal made the semi finals and we’ve done the double on them this season. We need depth to our squad for Europe but it’s been made to look worse by the injuries we’ve had. 

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think European football, in whatever guise, is an essential step in our development plus it’s another shot at a trophy so I personally couldn’t give a toss how cold it is if it means we end our 26 year trophy drought

We will hopefully add 2 or 3 quality players to the starting XI in the summer so that coupled with the good crop of youngsters we have coming through means the squad should be more than ready to compete in what is Europe’s third tier competition

I feel the same, even if we just use it to send a team of fringe players for experience. 

And if we fail spectacularly, then it’s another pointer to just how far behind we are.

Spurs loss to Leeds has given us another glimmer of hope, let’s see if we can take advantage of it this time. 
We need to get some form of European football next season, even if just as a reward to the management and players, if they can finish 5 6 or 7 places above last season that for me would be a very successful first season for the manager and players deserving of a European spot. 

13 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Spurs loss to Leeds has given us another glimmer of hope, let’s see if we can take advantage of it this time. 

Agree.  But combined with Leicester’s loss yesterday, it also gives WHam a big boost in their push for top 4, even top 3.  Spurs’ loss doesn’t quite eliminate them from overtaking WHam, but these 2 results will energize the Hammers.

Not sure why I’m so pessimistic about tomorrow......

6 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think European football, in whatever guise, is an essential step in our development plus it’s another shot at a trophy so I personally couldn’t give a toss how cold it is if it means we end our 26 year trophy drought

We will hopefully add 2 or 3 quality players to the starting XI in the summer so that coupled with the good crop of youngsters we have coming through means the squad should be more than ready to compete in what is Europe’s third tier competition

Not trying to start an argument, just genuinely curious. 

So if we make it into the Europa Conference or Europa League, and say we have a few injuries plus the extra European games, and we're sitting in 14th place in the league...are we still going to be glad we're playing in Europe? 

Obviously this is a hypothetical, as there's every chance that we could be in Europe and also playing well in the league. Just throwing a scenario out there where our league form really suffers while we're in Europe (there is precedence for this.) 

4 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

So if we make it into the Europa Conference or Europa League, and say we have a few injuries plus the extra European games, and we're sitting in 14th place in the league...are we still going to be glad we're playing in Europe? 

Obviously this is a hypothetical, as there's every chance that we could be in Europe and also playing well in the league. Just throwing a scenario out there where our league form really suffers while we're in Europe (there is precedence for this.) 

If you’re first thought is failure then you will fail, better to have tried to move forward than to have not tried. 
I understand stand all concerns but we must try to improve at every opportunity, we may not have the players needed at this moment in time but we have a summer transfer window to help improve our chances of progression and hopefully a successful 21/22 season, plus we have a manager that I for one trust and that is planning now for the next phase in our progression. 

16 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

For me, yes.

It would mean we were a little more successful the season before. 
If we do struggle with the league while in Europe... it again amplified the glaring weakness in our mentality.

I again summer negotiations. So what can you offer me as a player if I come to you? Well we finished mid table last season!

Not saying that players ambitions are to play in a Europa conference or whatever it will be, but it’s more of an enticement than not surely.

2 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

So where do we draw the line, should we withdraw from the FA Cup & League Cup so that we can concentrate on finishing in the top half of the Premiership?

I would happily take finishing 14th in the Premier League and winning the Europa League or Europa Conference over finishing anywhere in the top half other than first

18 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

So where do we draw the line, should we withdraw from the FA Cup & League Cup so that we can concentrate on finishing in the top half of the Premiership?

I would happily take finishing 14th in the Premier League and winning the Europa League or Europa Conference over finishing anywhere in the top half other than first

hear hear!

On 26/04/2021 at 17:10, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Tomorrow is a 6-pointer for us, then.  Take 3 points and that (1) helps Leicester and Chelsea stay top 5, and (2) keeps us in the fight for 7th with WHam,Spurs, and Liverpool.  But lose or even draw, it certainly means (3) WHam are a threat to Leicester, and (4) makes 7th a long shot in the run-in.

22 minutes ago, MikeO said:

We need to find a couple of wins from somewhere pretty quickly or we'll be looking over our shoulders at Leeds and Arsenal rather than at top seven, sure we have games in hand over most but games in hand are no good if you keep losing them.

There’s every chance we won’t even finish top half. If that happens then this season is a failure in my eyes. 

5 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Finishing 14th in the league and winning the Europa conference would cost you many millions versus finishing fourth, say, in the league. Long-term success demands squad depth, and that demands we maximize revenue. I understand that sport should not be all about money, but the reality is that we need funds to bring in the right players. I'd happily play our U-23 team in the League Cup, for example, if it means we finish higher in the league.

If you were ask me what's our primary goal, it's to win the Premier League. Everything else should flow from that.

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Finishing 14th in the league and winning the Europa conference would cost you many millions versus finishing fourth, say, in the league. Long-term success demands squad depth, and that demands we maximize revenue. I understand that sport should not be all about money, but the reality is that we need funds to bring in the right players. I'd happily play our U-23 team in the League Cup, for example, if it means we finish higher in the league.

If you were ask me what's our primary goal, it's to win the Premier League. Everything else should flow from that.

So you would give up entering a lower European competition because you believe it would cost us 4th position next season, and that if we entered we would finish 14th.

PM me over 6 numbers between 1-59 please mate. 

On 08/05/2021 at 17:54, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I wouldn’t, want to finish 14th that is, but not entering any other competition is not a guarantee of finishing higher in the league, we should try to win every competition we are entered in and finish as high in the league as we can, that is the fundamental belief of the sport to enter every game and competition to win and make your way to the top of the pyramid, to start cherry picking your competitions and competitors is not playing to the spirit of the game and what it stands for.

Without wishing to sound patronising those who believe that you should pick and choose your comps or games should support a team that wants to play in the ESL, that way you’re be guaranteed not to lose yet make more money, it would be boring as fuck but you would achieve your ambitions. 

16 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Agree.  But combined with Leicester’s loss yesterday, it also gives WHam a big boost in their push for top 4, even top 3.  Spurs’ loss doesn’t quite eliminate them from overtaking WHam, but these 2 results will energize the Hammers.

Not sure why I’m so pessimistic about tomorrow......

Or put more pressure on them...

8 hours ago, c1982 said:

Or put more pressure on them...

Yes, this is a real possibility.  Maybe it explains the several dismal Everton performances when presented with good opportunities to move up the table.  So if — if — the pressure got to our boys, it could obviously get to the Hammers, too.

Although, it seems to me both teams will feel some pressure today.  Not much time left.