IGNORED

Qualifying for Europe

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Chink of light again with Spurs getting beat, if fat Sam could do us a favour and beat West Ham now the door would be ajar. I know we have City away to come but we can do that.

West Ham win tonight puts it all to bed , Unless of course we beat City 600 -0 away and West Ham get beat at home to Southampton on Sunday

9 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

West Ham win tonight puts it all to bed , Unless of course we beat City 600 -0 away and West Ham get beat at home to Southampton on Sunday

Not really. Spurs last game is at Leicester and if they lose that we just need a point for 7th regardless of what West Ham do.

Edit: Having said that Leeds and Arsenal both have "easy" home games so if we lose at City 10th is very possible.

5 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

WHam likely to win at least 1 of its final 2, and they have big GD if we both end on 62.  But our better chance — decent, not horrible, not great — is simply to take more points than Spurs on Sunday: win @ City with Spurs’ draw at Leicester, or draw @ City while Spurs lose.

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Not really. Spurs last game is at Leicester and if they lose that we just need a point for 7th regardless of what West Ham do.

Edit: Having said that Leeds and Arsenal both have "easy" home games so if we lose at City 10th is very possible.

No idea what I was looking at , blame it on the wine, either way us getting a point at City is probably as likely as us winning 600 -0 

I have to admit we are actually about where I hoped we might have been at the start of the season - in with a shout of European football come the final game.

However, it is frustrating when you look at the teams that we have dropped points to at home and all the points we have taken off the teams above us and around us. one fucking strange season.

If the players take one thing away from this season and learn; as we look like just missing out on European football; EVERY SINGLE POINT counts and make a difference!!!

My one conciliation this season is that we are now actually pretty strong defensively - and barring Man City, our 'goals against' column actually stacks up with the best of them now. We can keep it tight against the 'big boys' and Knick a point or three. Not so long ago, teams just seemed to walk through our midfield. I think we all know you have to get this right before spending the big money on quality attacking player. I am assuming than with Walcott, Bolaise and likely Bernard and hopefully Tosun gone this summer more appropriate 'frills' can be added. I think it takes at least 3 years to build a team you can call your 'team' and think managers should be given this sort of time (unless it obvious they are out of there depth!!)- Ancelotti's 18months in (and actually a difficult and strange COVID 18 months). 

I am also mindful that our midfield engine of Allan and Doucoure have actually only had quite limited time playing together, less that ten so game around September/October time and then the last couple of game, with what looks a bit like Doucoure being rushed back maybe a game or two sooner that would be preferred. That's not much time to build up a relationship and understanding if you expect to mix it as a top half team.

I think we have a better squad that we did 12/18months ago, it just needs improving some more.  

Wow, San Marino, Andorra and Faroe Islands actually get 2 entrants to this tournament!

Luxembourg, Iceland, Malta and even Gibraltar have 3!

Since the turn of the century the same team has won the Gibraltar league 17 times out of 19 and they only have 12 teams in the league!

Really I don't see why some of these countries need so many teams playing in Europe when they are in tiny part time leagues. 

3 teams each for Northern Ireland, Wales and Republic Ireland so good chance of a short trip there!

--

Anyway, we're probably not going to get in!

Threw too many points away but, plenty of games that we should have won but the recent Sheffield United one is one of the most frustrating given how close to the end of the season it was with Sheffield united down and us still in with a good chance of a spot.

As expected we won in front of the fans, I think we can give City a good match, we've performed well in most of the games against the top sides but while I think City will rest players ahead of the Champions League final, they don't have a weak team they can put out and they will have fans and a trophy to lift so i'm sure want to finish on a high.  

It's the hope that kills you! Everton have given that tiny bit of hope of a top 7 finish.

The annoying thing is if we don't get something from City we likely drop to 9th or 10 which feels like a kick in the teeth considering we spent most of the season 8th or above.

15 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I have to admit we are actually about where I hoped we might have been at the start of the season - in with a shout of European football come the final game.

However, it is frustrating when you look at the teams that we have dropped points to at home and all the points we have taken off the teams above us and around us. one fucking strange season.

The way our season has gone, if we did get into Europe, we'd beat Real Madrid but lose to a team from Gibraltar.