IGNORED

Qualifying for Europe

15 minutes ago, Shukes said:

It annoys me so much. I can take losing 0-3 as long as we are giving it our all.

But if we just go through the motions of a game without much effort, I’m depressed for days.

Shukes I may be wrong but what I got from @Zoo 2.0 saying "absolute shite" to your not trying post was that he was suggesting what you said was shite rather than the team's effort. 

As I said, may have read it wrong, Zoo will doubtless clarify.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Shukes I may be wrong but what I got from @Zoo 2.0 saying "absolute shite" to your not trying post was that he was suggesting what you said was shite rather than the team's effort. 

As I said, may have read it wrong, Zoo will doubtless clarify.

Ahh missed that haha.

But I would be surprised if anyone thinks we’ve put up a fight to get to Europe this season. I honestly feel we’ve just gone through the motions, rather than fought to our last.

Personally I think Carlos reluctant to allow the team to express themselves. When being hard to beat and taking your chances works, it's a sign of building and solidity. When it doesn't work all the flaws in the team shine through. 

I'm expecting players to have much more responsibility in dominating games next season, a new midfielder is absolutely essential. 

15 hours ago, Aidan said:

Personally I think Carlos reluctant to allow the team to express themselves. When being hard to beat and taking your chances works, it's a sign of building and solidity. When it doesn't work all the flaws in the team shine through. 

I'm expecting players to have much more responsibility in dominating games next season, a new midfielder is absolutely essential. 

He has almost said as much as well.

It is only a sign of building when the shackles start to come off and you don't start shipping chances at the other end.

I do expect us to come out next season with a lot more intent to attack, like we did at the start of this season.

@markjazzbassistyou were right that WH weren't gonna be able to pull out a CL spot. Their form and their final games all pointed to them arguably being the favorites to claim fourth. Now it really is a race between Leicester, Chelsea and the shite. 

I think we take either 3 or 4 points from the final 3 games and finish 7th

8 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

@markjazzbassistyou were right that WH weren't gonna be able to pull out a CL spot. Their form and their final games all pointed to them arguably being the favorites to claim fourth. Now it really is a race between Leicester, Chelsea and the shite. 

I think we take either 3 or 4 points from the final 3 games and finish 7th

No argument - West Ham were never the favourites for a top 4 place and they’ve wobbled since Rice has been out. Liverpool, sadly have to be favourites for the top 4 on the basis that Leicester and Chelsea have to play each other.

We should be winning our next 2 games and then let’s see what that looks like. Ancelotti’s never finished outside the top 6... we shall see.

32 minutes ago, c1982 said:

No argument - West Ham were never the favourites for a top 4 place and they’ve wobbled since Rice has been out. Liverpool, sadly have to be favourites for the top 4 on the basis that Leicester and Chelsea have to play each other.

We should be winning our next 2 games and then let’s see what that looks like. Ancelotti’s never finished outside the top 6... we shall see.

Well he did last season but I like your optimism :)

Has to be 7 points. 
Spurs play Leicester and wolves so there’s a chance there.

We need another slip up from west ham against either west brom or Southampton which is entirely possible.

I think we will see the team we started the season with - we been better defensively so hopefully we can find that attacking swagger and beef up our goal difference. 

Our most likely chance to finish 7th — not our only chance, but most likely chance — remains passing Spurs.  Either take 7 points to Spurs’ 6, or take 6 points to Spurs’ 4.  Spurs play Wolves before our match, so if Spurs draw or lose, that helps us enormously.

One significant disadvantage for us is that if we finish in a tie for 6-7th with any of WHam, Spurs, or Arsenal, we lose GD tiebreaker.  For that matter, if we collapse and fall In the table, we’d even lose tiebreaker to Leeds or Villa.

4-5th still mathematically possible, but not going to happen.  6th is very optimistic.  7th is decent chance.  8-9th still dismally 50-50.  10-11th gloomy, gloomy.

[Ah, Villa lose, so we can’t fall all the way to 11th.  Still, 10th would be gloomy enough......]

The fight is definitely on for 6th. Anything higher than that would be very unlikely IMO especially given our games.

It should be 3 points tonight but Wolves are difficult to score against and whilst City can be beaten when their intensity is down, it isn't the place you want to go to when some of them will be eyeing up a spot on the teamsheet for thr Champions League final. I would say 5 or 6 points would be s realistic best case scenario. 61-62 pts

West Ham have the easiest two games left. West Brom are down and don't even know if they will be playing for the same manager next season and whilst Soton are starting to turn the corner, they are leaky and have nothing to play for. I would expect them to win at least one of those two so best csse scenario they pick up 3-4 points. 62-63 pts

Spurs have the hardest run in. They are playing Wolves now and 15 mins in they look ropey on the counter. They then play Villa who now have nothing to play for (Palace beat them off the park in the second half) and they are a team contrary to our performances against them ship chances but will be up against Grealish with two appearances under his belt and an England place to play for (along with Watkins). Then they are up against Leicester and I don't see them taking their foot off the gas. I am going to go for them picking up 4-5 points. 61-62 points

The two teams behind us, Arsenal and Leeds both have decent fixtures. Its almost impossible to predict Arsenal but they probably should be eyeing up two wins and so will Leeds. 4-6 points for each of them leaves Arsenal on 59-61 and Leeds on 57-59. 

My prediction is that it will end:

6. West Ham 63pts

7. Spurs 61pts (on GD)

8.Everton 61pts

9.Arsenal 60pts

10. Leeds 59pts

I imagine it will look absolutely nothing like that! 

I would love to finish 6th or 7th but if we finished 8th I wouldn’t be unhappy, to go up 4 places from last season for me would be classed as a significant improvement, the following season I would expect a minimum finish of 6th, then 22/23 season 4th or better, and wouldn’t that be a great start to life in the new stadium playing CL football. 
We all have dreams and great expectations but these targets aren’t unrealistic and are very achievable. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Not Villa, the most they can get is 55 points and we already have 56.

Yes, you’re right.  I originally posted prior to end of Palace-Villa match.  I went back a few minutes later once I saw that result. See “Ah” comment.

I can count, truly I can.  Sort of like Terry said to Basil: “I can cook a paella, Mr. Fawlty.”