IGNORED

Qualifying for Europe

24 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Yea big clubs were getting upset because they often sacrifice a league cup for a league placing and so they miss out on Europe when a Championship side managed to get to a final

League cup runners up have never qualified for Europe, only FA cup losers.

Capture.JPG

57 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'd offer a quite rude response to that but as you're a policeman I'll keep quiet, I don't fancy a dawn raid with the local plod smashing my front door down.:otvwhistle: 

So that's a no then.

I won't even bother asking about third round runner ups whose mascots birthday aligns with a Mongolian Lima farmers pet wolfs star sign. 

No thanks though we've got pretty much zero chance now. Don't fancy the early start to the season to attempt to qualify for Europa or Thursday night games. Get the transfers done early for pre-season training and friendlies. Carlo then has a season to get his team up and running and perhaps go for a domestic cup!

• 1 year later...

As unglamorous as it sounds, 7th place (I believe) allows qualification to the UEFA Europa Conference which is a new competition which is in place from the 2021/22 season. 

I wouldn't write us off just yet, form is something that nobody (apart from Manchester City) has managed to have this season, as infuriating as it sounds there will be more defeats for everyone between now and the end of the season.

Doesn't take away from the fact that we are wank at home, aren't hungry enough and don't have enough players at the club of the mould we should for Champions League qualification, but that's another story.

18 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

As unglamorous as it sounds, 7th place (I believe) allows qualification to the UEFA Europa Conference which is a new competition which is in place from the 2021/22 season. 

I just managed to delete my answer.:crying:

The league cup winners get the Conference place but if they qualify elsewhere it goes back to the best place non-qualified team in the league, so if both cups are won by top six teams then logically 8th would be good enough (4xCL, 3xEL for the top seven) though I've not read the regs so not certain. But would we really want to be in it?

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I just managed to delete my answer.:crying:

The league cup winners get the Conference place but if they qualify elsewhere it goes back to the best place non-qualified team in the league, so if both cups are won by top six teams then logically 8th would be good enough (4xCL, 3xEL for the top seven) though I've not read the regs so not certain. But would we really want to be in it?

100% we should want to be in it if we ever want to evolve as a team. European qualification raises the profile of the club and helps us attract a better calibre of player with regards to new signings. It’s also another shot at a trophy and back door to the Champions League so I personally don’t understand why anybody wouldn’t want it

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

100% we should want to be in it if we ever want to evolve as a team. European qualification raises the profile of the club and helps us attract a better calibre of player with regards to new signings. It’s also another shot at a trophy and back door to the Champions League so I personally don’t understand why anybody wouldn’t want it

That's the Europa, not the conference, the conference is basically aimed at the lower tiered leagues in Europe so we'd be faffing about in Scandinavia and Eastern Europe if we got in against the likes of Lokomotiv Plovdiv (I love that name) with very little potential reward. Modern day Intertoto.

• 1 month later...

Can someone clarify this for me? 

Champions League

-If City win the CL, whoever finishes 5th in the league qualifies for 2021/22 UCL

-If Chelsea win the CL and finish top 4, same scenario as City. If they win the CL and finish 5th or 6th, an extra Europa League spot would go to whomever finishes 7th. 

Europa League

-If United win and finish top 4, no extra 2021/22 Europa League spots are added? 

-If Arsenal win and finish outside top 6, same situation where no extra spots are added? 

Basically I'm wondering if there's a world where, if English teams win both the CL and EL, could whomever finishes 8th in the PL conceivably be in the EL next season?

This is doing my head in trying to figure this out

3 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Champions League

-If City win the CL, whoever finishes 5th in the league qualifies for 2021/22 UCL

-If Chelsea win the CL and finish top 4, same scenario as City. If they win the CL and finish 5th or 6th, an extra Europa League spot would go to whomever finishes 7th. 

Europa League

-If United win and finish top 4, no extra 2021/22 Europa League spots are added? 

-If Arsenal win and finish outside top 6, same situation where no extra spots are added? 

Basically I'm wondering if there's a world where, if English teams win both the CL and EL, could whomever finishes 8th in the PL conceivably be in the EL next season?

Mike is usually the man for unraveling all the permutations, like you it also confuses the life out of me. 

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Champions League

Europa League

There do seem to be circumstances this year where 7th would be a Europa spot in the scenarios you mention (FA Cup runners up no longer get a place if winners qualify elsewhere). On top of that there's the new "UEFA Europa Conference League" which is primarily aimed at "lesser" leagues, top five only get one place while lower ones get 2,3 or 4, so theoretically and logically 8th might get into that. Don't take that as gospel though, just my understanding of it.

2 minutes ago, Bailey said:

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

The only bit I read was that it was a maximum of 7 Premier League sides that can play in Europe. I am sure the ways in which is works are contained above... whether it makes any sense is a different story!

So if the league and FA cup winners finish top 6/7 we lose our "conference" place? That seems to contradict the qualification criterea, but time will tell.

56 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I reckon we probably now need about 14/15 points from the last seven games to have a chance, it's not impossible if we play as well as we did up front tonight, but it is if we carry on making the same screw-ups at the back. The second goal was unlucky certainly but still shouldn't have happened.

And if we could go back to finishing off more chances. 

If there is fight in us, we'll make this new Europa Conference thing (i.e 7th place in the league). If there isn't, we won't. It's that simple. The run-in we have, we should finish top 7 at least. If we don't, it's because of a lack of fight and desire. Either result will be fine with me, because they'll both let me know where we currently stand. If we do it, we've progressed, and if we don't, we haven't.  

21 hours ago, c1982 said:

If key players can stay fit, we could (we won’t) very easily win all of the remaining games (banking on Man C giving us a gimme on the last day of the season before their FA Cup and Champions League finals!)

Perhaps they could if it means we could qualify over a team they really dislike?