IGNORED

Jesse Lingard

5 hours ago, c1982 said:

This is the kind of signing I DO NOT want - he did well at West Ham but we’d be spending (wasting in my opinion) a big fee and wages on someone who has no resale and isn’t great. I’m fine with Townsend on a free and I’m fine with taking a chance on Gray for such a low fee but this, to me, is a prime example of what’s got us into this mess e.g same bracket as Walcott, Bolasie, Sigurdsson, Tosun.

Well put. Plus I can see him becoming the player he was at United. A useless nothing player.

46 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Good player.  Loads of ability.  Inconsistent but if Rafa can get the most from him then yeah.  

What's the fee? 

And can't finish. He'd be fantastic if he could actually pass/Cross after his hard work. But more often than not he runs himself into a corner or a player. 

7 hours ago, c1982 said:

This is the kind of signing I DO NOT want - he did well at West Ham but we’d be spending (wasting in my opinion) a big fee and wages on someone who has no resale and isn’t great. I’m fine with Townsend on a free and I’m fine with taking a chance on Gray for such a low fee but this, to me, is a prime example of what’s got us into this mess e.g same bracket as Walcott, Bolasie, Sigurdsson, Tosun.

You have hit the nail on the head.

He has just had a great season for West Ham and is the main reason they did so well last season. 
But we’re Everton, we’ll still turn our noses up because he isn't a young next big thing.

He may not be a great player, but he is a very good player.

See I feel our options are:

1: But an expensive risk and blow pretty much our budget on one player that could be great

2: use our budget to strengthen in several positions, without managing to find that Marquee signing.

Question is, which would be the most beneficial for the club?

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

He has just had a great season for West Ham and is the main reason they did so well last season. 
But we’re Everton, we’ll still turn our noses up because he isn't a young next big thing.

1: But an expensive risk and blow pretty much our budget on one player that could be great

2: use our budget to strengthen in several positions, without managing to find that Marquee signing.

He went through a purple patch. He's been average at best for ManU. I don't think he'll repeat his West Ham form. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I'll "turn my nose up" because I don't think he's very good. 

2 hours ago, Sibdane said:

He went through a purple patch. He's been average at best for ManU. I don't think he'll repeat his West Ham form. 

Possibly, but if he could repeat that level of performance he could be an excellent signing for someone.

But on the other hand, you could be right and he may turn back into his Man U form. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

If the emphasis is on youth and we’re able to shift a few of the ‘older’ players like Gomes, Mina, Keane, Rondon, Townsend - then I wouldn’t be totally against this. Having Lingard and Tarkowski on ‘frees’ can help younger players - even in the same position settle in and develop. I’m sure we had the same idea when we signed Delph to ‘help’ Gbamin - that didn’t work but the idea was there!!!

He’s a difficult player to workout, was cast into the wilderness at Utd then goes to West Ham and is given the opportunity to show what he still has in his locker, and elevated himself to the steal of the season imo, wasn’t allowed to sign or stay on loan Utd saw and remembered what they had been missing, forced him to return with promises of opportunities but they didn’t materialise. Utd's problems with management recruitment have been as bad or if not worse than our own and some players end up being victims of an unstable regime, this is how I see it with him proof being give him to a decent manager in a stable club and he can perform immediately, something we haven’t seen from Alli would I have here yes I would, would I swop him for Alli yes I would. 

The big issue for me would be his wages. He showed at West Ham that he can be a useful player in the right situation but do we want to spunk another £100k a week on a player who might play well for a bit but also might decide he has had enough and sulk around the club. 

I want us to move away from these type of players, not sign more of them.