IGNORED

Chelsea (Home) Saturday 12 December

markjazzbassist

I am so happy with that performance, I don't think any of them had a bad game. We didn't have as much of the ball as I'd have liked but it was a gritty and determined showing from them and I'm really proud of them all to be honest. We rode our luck at times but you need that sometimes and, lets be honest, we had our chances as well so it's not like it was a smash and grab or anything.

I think this run of 'tough'  games will do us the world of good now. Solid defending as a 'team', hitting teams on the break. We are going to get plenty of practice at playing like we did this weekend against Chelsea. We could come out of Xmas period with a very solid and well drilled defensive base. 0-0's and the odd 1 -0 will do me fine over the next 4 - 5 games. 

I hope ALL the player now know what sort of performance is now expected if you want to be in the starting 11!!! 

Our Internet was out on match day, so I had to watch after the fact: Knowing the final score rather took away from the excitement, but I enjoyed the entire 90 minutes.

Alex Iwobi impressed me, I must say. The guy is beginning to come into his own. His final passes leave something to be desired, but that will improve over time for sure. How many times did he receive the ball under pressure, turn on a dime, and break away up the field? For me, he was MotM. Well done to him, and I look forward to continued improvement.

Calvert-Lewin is becoming a more rounded player. His pass to Richarlison in the second half demonstrated vision, awareness, and accuracy. His presence in the penalty area won both penalties, even though the second was denied. We now have a target man, one who scares every defence in the league.

I was quite impressed with Godfrey in this game as well. He's not afraid to take players on, and his positioning saved us more than once.

Allan: Why is he not our captain? He's the gritty dynamo we've wanted for so long in the centre of the field. You really can't fault the guy, whether on or off the ball. What a tremendous signing he's been.

I know Richarlison took some flak in this game, but I actually thought he did well. For sure, he stumbled or tripped or mishit at crucial moments, but his energy and drive are returning. His covering in defence, especially the amount of ground he covers, is becoming a useful asset.

Doucoure was solid but not special in this game. Keane did his work well, and Holgate is playing with experience beyond his years. Mina caused a couple of problems, maybe through lack of communication, but he's OK. Despite a couple of decent saves, I no longer have the confidence in Pickford I'd like to have in our goalie. I'm not sure what it is, but that niggling worry is always there: Will he do the right thing?

While he received kudos from many, I was still not impressed with Sigurdsson. He simply doesn't fit in the team and certainly shouldn't be captain. He lacks that killer instinct. It's as if he's playing simply because that's his job. Yes, he made some clever passes, but more important is a cohesive team structure.

A good solid performance, and I hope we can replicate it against Leicester.