IGNORED

Leicester City (Away) Wednesday 16 December

markjazzbassist

Leicester are one of the most confusing teams for me, they beat teams they shouldn't and lose to teams they should crush.  They are inconsistent and their lineups are as well which is not surprising with Brenda at the helm.  If we play the way we did against Chelsea and sit back with our 4 CB defending and hit them on the counter we've got a chance.  Not sure if James will be fit

Olsen

Holgate Keane Mina Godfrey

Allan

Doucoure Gylfi

James/Iwobi       DCL  RIcharlison  

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Leicester are one of the most confusing teams for me, they beat teams they shouldn't and lose to teams they should crush.  They are inconsistent and their lineups are as well which is not surprising with Brenda at the helm.  If we play the way we did against Chelsea and sit back with our 4 CB defending and hit them on the counter we've got a chance.  Not sure if James will be fit

Olsen

Holgate Keane Mina Godfrey

Allan

Doucoure Gylfi

James/Iwobi       DCL  RIcharlison  

Honestly, pickford we excellent first half. We’ve just kept a clean sheet and you want to change the backline..?

Same team. James for Gylfi last 30 if we are chasing it. More support for DCL though.

Just now, Btay said:

Honestly, pickford we excellent first half. We’ve just kept a clean sheet and you want to change the backline..?

Same team. James for Gylfi last 30 if we are chasing it. More support for DCL though.

I recognised Pickford for his excellent half.... But wtf was he playing at in the second half?  He's very very lucky we never lost that game, his ridiculous rush and punch leading to mounts nest chip and that ridiculous step for the freekick that made it impossible to reach the far post.  

He can't seem to hold it together for 90 minutes. 

Just now, Hafnia said:

I recognised Pickford for his excellent half.... But wtf was he playing at in the second half?  He's very very lucky we never lost that game, his ridiculous rush and punch leading to mounts nest chip and that ridiculous step for the freekick that made it impossible to reach the far post.  

I can see the punch from his point of view - he’s trying to command the area and take responsibility so I’m happy there. He knows he needs to get more on it though.

Freekick was a concern. Hopefully they get him sorted there. I’d rather see my keeper beaten over the wall top corner than a shot to their side.

1 minute ago, Btay said:

I can see the punch from his point of view - he’s trying to command the area and take responsibility so I’m happy there. He knows he needs to get more on it though.

Freekick was a concern. Hopefully they get him sorted there. I’d rather see my keeper beaten over the wall top corner than a shot to their side.

There was nothing wrong with punching it, he absolutely should have come, he just didn't execute it correctly by not getting enough on it.

The moving on free-kicks before the ball has been kicked is an irritation I have with keepers in general. Trust your wall that you've built. If they move/it goes through them and it's on them. If the opposition player hits a beauty and it goes in then there's nothing you can do. 

12 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

There was nothing wrong with punching it, he absolutely should have come, he just didn't execute it correctly by not getting enough on it.

The moving on free-kicks before the ball has been kicked is an irritation I have with keepers in general. Trust your wall that you've built. If they move/it goes through them and it's on them. If the opposition player hits a beauty and it goes in then there's nothing you can do. 

Agree on everything here mate 

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

There was nothing wrong with punching it if you execute it properly.  It didn't need to be executed so rashly and it was a poor attempt.

That's the problem with him, the methodical elements of keeping just don't inspire confidence.  Grobelaar was the same.

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Let's hope Jordan doesn't follow the same career path as Grobbelaar then, he only won six league titles, six domestic cups and a European Cup.

Tbf they could have stuck Paul Gerrard in goal and he would be a multi league and cup winner.  Grobelaar was a very very lucky player. Great shot stopper and capable of some great games but yeah, an enigma.

Many a Liverpool fan have said that if they had Southall at the time they would have won loads more. 

3 hours ago, Btay said:

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Pickford could put in a flawless performance and Olsen will still be in starting line-ups.

More a wind up than anything I just don’t like Pickford.  Every game he’s doing silly shit.  Of all the players we have I like Jordan the least.  Not his antics off the pitch. Just his attitude on it and his keeping decisions.

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I have only watched the highlights but I thought he made two of their chances look better than they should have been.

He got a brilliant touch on the James strike that hit the post but I thought it was a poor punch and he shouldn't have ducked behind his wall for the free kick, which he ultimately should have dealt with comfortably. 

As I haven't seen the rest of the game, I can't comment on his overall performance.

Leicester are playing like one of the better sides in the league but they aren't getting the results to match their performances. I think that part of their problem is that they have become a bit too reliant on the counter attack rather than dominating teams. They are very good at sitting back and absorbing pressure and then breaking quickly. I think they would be better moving away from 5 at the back because it doesnt give them the same platform to control the game. 

The last thing we need to do is play into their hands and rush onto them only to be picked off so I would set up like we did against Chelsea and aim to frustrate them and the seen how the game develops. 

I think Justin is a weak link. I would run in behind him and between him and Fuchs all day (if he plays on the left). If he plays on the right, they have another young lad that can be targeted. I'm not sure what has happened with Castagne but last time Albrighton played RWB and again he can be attacked albeit he is decent enough going forward. 

If they play with 523 I also think you can pass through their midfield a lot easier than you can when they play 443 and they would be more of a threat if Maddison was central as well. If its 523 he is likely to play wide so fingers crossed they don't change shape!

Well they're up 3-0 at the half and have looked pretty dominant. This also starts a run of 5 matches in 12 days, which is just....insane.

I understand we don't want to rest anyone right now, especially against sides we are competing against for a top 6 finish, but I wouldn't be opposed to resting a few for this one. I just worry about our fitness levels coming up, combined with how poor our depth is.

11 hours ago, Btay said:

100% James mustn’t start use him as sub if we need to change the tactics he then he comes on. 
As much as I love Ancelotti and James I hope this win against Chelsea is the realisation that we expect more from the players in our team. 
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum. 

2 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Well they're up 3-0 at the half and have looked pretty dominant. This also starts a run of 5 matches in 12 days, which is just....insane.

I understand we don't want to rest anyone right now, especially against sides we are competing against for a top 6 finish, but I wouldn't be opposed to resting a few for this one. I just worry about our fitness levels coming up, combined with how poor our depth is.

Brighton are the perfect team for them to play against as they are so open and they will come on to them time after time. If we try and do the same, I think we will lose.

On 13/12/2020 at 09:33, Matt said:

I’d play the same again even if James was fit. We were so much better organised without him and still a threat. James can come on if we’re chasing the game but I’d rather keep the consistency and structure, at least to start the game. 

Totally agree, I am big fan of rewarding players who put in a stellar performance and come away with all three points, and with a clean sheet to boot. None of the players let themselves or the shirt down on Saturday. So they all did enough last Saturday to deserve a start against Leicester City. This is our first mid week game for some time, so no need to be thinking about rotation or any sort of resting of players just yet. 

If a player sees that he regains his starting place after both a good personal and team performance - there should be no bigger motivation than this for rolling your sleeves up in each and every game.  

It will not do James (or any other player) any harm to know they are not an automatic pick for each and every game. Also, he is a great player to bring off the bench to change a game. Teams can't also set out to target out right wing as vulnerable defensively if James isn't starting a game. So I think coming on for the last 30min means it's much more difficult for the opposition to try and then take advantage of any weakness we might have with his introduction. It is also good if the oppositions game plan is to take advantage of the right only to find he isn't starting :).  

In our losing streak there has definitely been an element of the opposition taking advantage of what we lose defensively when James starts. So some time is going to be needed ironing this problem out, especially against the better teams like we have coming up.

On 14/12/2020 at 07:09, Palfy said:

100% James mustn’t start use him as sub if we need to change the tactics he then he comes on. 
As much as I love Ancelotti and James I hope this win against Chelsea is the realisation that we expect more from the players in our team. 
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum. 

Absolutely, this game will be won in the midfield and I expect it to be frantic. We’ve had the extra day rest so I hope we win that battle. 

I think James could be more suited against arsenal who aren’t going to press as much.

I'll be honest I don't understand who is in charge of the social media teamsheets but they're always dreadful. I get not wanting to share the actual formation but according to that we've got Holgate at right-back, Doucoure at centre-back, Keane in the midfield with Iwobi up top and Calvert-Lewin out wide. 

Olsen starting is surprising, as Pickford was by his own admission gaining momentum but I assume he is being kept fresh for Arsenal?