IGNORED

Chelsea (Away) Monday 8 March

markjazzbassist

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Happy birthday mate

Cheers Matt, Amazingly I thought it was an 8pm kick off do ended up having a family meal having made pizzas and tuned in with 10 minutes to go .... Oh well. Looks like I picked a good game to miss, seem some great Pickford saves. 

Heart was hoping for a result tonight, but game ended up as expected. 

Very difficult to get a results against a team this well organised and full of top draw player.

Doucoure a massive miss in a game like this. Fingers crossed he will be back soon. 

Biggest positive - Pickford, very solid, gave away a penalty, but put that to the back of his mind and pulled off some great saves afterward.

No superise, our right hand side is a little weak, pretty sure that going to be addressed this summer. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Happy birthday mate it’s gonna be a good day today, an old arse your still a pup Haf ask Mike he’ll tell you what it’s like to be old👍😉

It was only not ruined on basis that I thought it was an 8pm kick off! Cheers Palf

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Just seen first goal.  It's on Iwobi and Holgate.  

Yep - for me more on Iwobi as Holgate breaks forward but as a footballer you should know when this happens you have to take personal responsibility but Iwobi doesn’t and seems more intent on marking thin air out wide. Schoolboy stuff.

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

It was only not ruined on basis that I thought it was an 8pm kick off! Cheers Palf

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Let's be honest lads, I think we all know that for us to challenge we need a fully fit in form first 11.

Realistically that means we need 3/4 players to strengthen us for a league campaign

I agree we haven’t got the depth in the squad yet, hopefully that changes in the summer Ancelotti has confirmed they have earmarked 3-4 players for next season, just 2 would make a huge difference. I’m happy how we have progressed this season if I’m honest we have exceeded my expectations, and we are still in the mix. 

That was men against boys. That isnt their first 11 either and they still played us well and truly off the park. That isn't a complete disgrace as they are a very good side but it just shows how far off we are. We could be playing all week and we wouldnt score whereas that Chelsea could have scored 4 and it wouldn't have been unfair.

The difficulty I have watching that is that at the previous weekend I watched a Utd side go toe-to-toe with them in a game that could have gone either way. We are still miles away from those teams. 

The two positives I do take from the performance is that we did keep going. There was no giving up from anyone and I think we played with more intensity than we have done for a while in moments. 

Pickford was easily my motm which is unusual for a player that gave away a penalty. I think he was unlucky for that challenge, millimetres away from making the save and he more than made up for it with some other great saves.

Digne was poor. Not at it at all.

Holgate is as above. I honestly dont know what people see in him.

Keane was the most solid defender, but that wasn't hard.

Godfrey had another poor game. He makes quite a lot of big mistakes for a centre half. I like a lot of things about him but he needs to improve his basic defending. 

Iwobi was a bit of a car crash. Again he is almost the sacrificial lamb in that he spent more time at right wing back than as an attacking threat. He is paying for our uninspiring play because he is doing more defending than anything else and he has a centre back behind him offering nothing going forward.

Allan was brilliant. I still think he looks a bit leggy off his lay off but his defensive work is great. He just doesnt give up and he gets back in so many times when he has no right to against quicker players. 

Gomes was good as well in my opinion, but I can see the differing views. His intensity to win the ball was as good as its been, he covered as much ground as I have seen him do but more is needed on the ball. That same comment does also apply to Allan.

Siggy was apparently in the starting line-up? Did anyone notice?

Dom did well first half. When the ball came to him he won it and got it under control. What came after that was generally shite and I presume he was subbed at half time because he wasnt playing in the second half.

Richarlison was never in the game either. The front "three" all suffered from our mind-numbingly defensive tactics. Again.

Davies came on, floated around, played a couple of nice passes but also offered nothing in his defensive work and gave the ball away in a bad area when he should have known better. I am glad he didnt start that first half because he wouldnt have coped with the Chelsea intensity IMO.

King had the same problems as the other forwards. No service and no support. He must be wondering why he came here. 

Bernard's most memorable input was spaffing our best move 10 yards over the bar. 

I thought we looked better once we had made the three subs, maybe too late in the game to have any effect, of made at 1-0 we may have clawed our way back in.

Iwobi seems determined to miss his opportunities to impress, I really don’t see what he brings to the team, would like to see King start over Iwobi is James is still out.

Dust ourselves down and be ready for Saturday.

As for that first goal, my view is that it is on both Holgate and Iwobi, but also the team as well. Holgate does the right thing and presses his man but the rest of the back four sit too deep. Even when CHO is running away from goal, they arent squeezing up the pitch. As a result Holgate has a long way to go to get back in. He should be sharper and sprint back but he reacts rather than being proactive.

Its pretty horrible from Iwobi from there. He doesn't know whether to stay or go and he gets in no-mans land. There is no communication from Holgate as to who will do what. In that situation, Iwobi should stay where he is and Holgate should then get across and cover the angle with CHO, who will want to come inside if the pass isnt on.

Instead What happens is you get acres of space caused by our hesitant back line, a winger in the right back slot and a centre back who doesn't value his defensive work enough to get back in to make a difference. 

There's six Chelsea players further up the pitch than Gomes for their goal.

Whole back line is too deep, when Holgate presses they should step forward but they don't budge.

Holgate leaves his man for Gomes and retreats. Gomes is woeful leaving Iwobi in a 2 v 1 situation. Holgate can't get back quick enough to get the spare.

If Gomes does his job they don't score. If the back line step up they make it more difficult. Iwobi is the only one not at fault, I'd lay more blame on three defenders who stayed back rather than on Holgate for pushing forward.

Can't comment on the performance of players as I missed most of the match.

The goal in isolation.... Why was Holgate jogging back??? My support in holgate as a centre half was that he has recovery pace - or is that only applicable to his own mistakes?

Play for eachother. 

As far as I'm concerned the 3 players in question Gomes, Holgate, Iwobi will not be part of Ancellottis plans if we are going to push on. 

Whether Godfrey had a good game or not - he along with Allan, Doucoure, Kean, Davies, DCL, Richarlison are the ones who stand out as having the right mentality and work ethic to take us forward.  The rest need to get up of get out. 

8 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Can't comment on the performance of players as I missed most of the match.

The goal in isolation.... Why was Holgate jogging back??? My support in holgate as a centre half was that he has recovery pace - or is that only applicable to his own mistakes?

Play for eachother. 

As far as I'm concerned the 3 players in question Gomes, Holgate, Iwobi will not be part of Ancellottis plans if we are going to push on. 

Whether Godfrey had a good game or not - he along with Allan, Doucoure, Kean, Davies, DCL, Richarlison are the ones who stand out as having the right mentality and work ethic to take us forward.  The rest need to get up of get out. 

Gomes was possibly our best player in the first half, the player who really disappointed me for the 90 minutes was Digne he totally lacked any bollocks did literally nothing all game. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Gomes was possibly our best player in the first half, the player who really disappointed me for the 90 minutes was Digne he totally lacked any bollocks did literally nothing all game. 

not sure what is up with digne, he is so inconsistent.  his first season here he was an 8/10 every match.

35 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

not sure what is up with digne, he is so inconsistent.  his first season here he was an 8/10 every match.

I don't think it helps him that he is being messed around either. Left mid, wing back and full back. When he has played left back more recently he hasn't had anyone in front of him to play off. 

He is one of the most effective attacking full backs in the league but he is playing in a negative side. 

12 hours ago, pete0 said:

There's six Chelsea players further up the pitch than Gomes for their goal.

Whole back line is too deep, when Holgate presses they should step forward but they don't budge.

Holgate leaves his man for Gomes and retreats. Gomes is woeful leaving Iwobi in a 2 v 1 situation. Holgate can't get back quick enough to get the spare.

If Gomes does his job they don't score. If the back line step up they make it more difficult. Iwobi is the only one not at fault, I'd lay more blame on three defenders who stayed back rather than on Holgate for pushing forward.

I agree with this. There just never seems to be any urgency in Gomes. That's his rather continental style, and it's not well suited to the Prem or to Everton.

Holgate goes touch tight which is right, Gomes closes the pass off.

Phase one no problem 

When Gomes goes goal side holgate should have got back in and allowed Iwobi to go the ball but he was neither here nor there 

Gomes disappoints me in general a bit but he's not at fault here. Iwobi and holgate 

18 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

When Gomes goes goal side holgate should have got back in and allowed Iwobi to go the ball but he was neither here nor there 

Gomes disappoints me in general a bit but he's not at fault here. Iwobi and holgate 

Gomes doesn't stay goal side. He stupidly tries to cut off a pass across field and is left for dead. Gomes not staying goal side is the whole issue.

Holgate is getting back but he can't predict how shite Gomes is gonna be at defending. He's also not helped by the backline not pushing up.