IGNORED

Aston Villa (Away) Thursday 13 May

markjazzbassist

That team of play safe, go backwards, show no desire turned up again.

We have a team who try not to lose, rather than a team who want to win, sooner this season is over the better.

Villa were poor and there for the taking, they lose there 2 best players and it does not affect them, we lose good players and we are crap.

DCL with several header chances, just not quite today.  We also had 3-4 decent chances from top of box, but none of Doucouré, Allan, or Gomes can strike the ball with authority.  I wanted Sigurdsson off, but honestly if he’d had those shots, he probably would have connected on one of them.

You'd have thought that was a game with nothing riding on it whatsoever. So nothingy it's unbelievable, and another game that highlights just how desperate we are for some pace in this side.

I actually thought we looked pretty decent when we got on the ball and caused them problems, but we didn't have enough of it or even want more of it. If we'd shown a bit more want, a bit more industry, the three points were there for us to take. I have no doubt about that.

Gomes looked good when he came on. Iwobi did not.

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

You'd have thought that was a game with nothing riding on it whatsoever. So nothingy it's unbelievable, and another game that highlights just how desperate we are for some pace in this side.

I actually thought we looked pretty decent when we got on the ball and caused them problems, but we didn't have enough of it or even want more of it. If we'd shown a bit more want, a bit more industry, the three points were there for us to take. I have no doubt about that.

Gomes looked good when he came on. Iwobi did not.

Agree with the first part and Gomes did look good but he had 2 massive moments where he really should have done better. That first one especially- the pass to Richarlison was not hard - that’s the difference between taking all 3 points and the frustration of another missed opportunity.

Another poor performance although our best moments came in that last 10 minutes when we got after them. 

Allan was exposed time and time again and whilst he got better, it was comfortably his worst game. He looked leggy and slow, almost like the pitch was too big for him. The idea that him and Doucoure together would improve our offensive performance has gone up in smoke in that game where McGinn beat them both to the punch time and time again. 

I have no idea how Seamus stayed on the pitch so long in that right midfield role in a must win game. Contrary to popular opinion, I thought Iwobi added a bit more intent, not that it meant anything tangible apart from a couple of overhit crosses.

Siggurdson was a pointless selection today, absolutely nothing. Gomes came on and played well, albeit fluffing his lines when it mattered.

Dom and Richarlison had their typical game. Huffing and puffing but lacking in quality. I am still not sure they passed to eachother all game.

I hoped the West Ham game would provide some impetus but it wasnt to be. 

3 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Agree with the first part and Gomes did look good but he had 2 massive moments where he really should have done better. That first one especially- the pass to Richarlison was not hard - that’s the difference between taking all 3 points and the frustration of another missed opportunity.

I'm not sure the pass to Richarlison was such a good option, he looked like he would've had a Villa player on him, but I only saw it in real time and then the one replay. After deciding to shoot, though, he should have at least been hitting the target.

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

In other news, Tyrone Mings is fucking shite and how he wasn’t sent off after VAR looked at it is beyond me. 

Shouldn’t he have gone off as well after receiving treatment before dignes long throw - that mings won the header for... 

2 hours ago, Btay said:

Shouldn’t he have gone off as well after receiving treatment before dignes long throw - that mings won the header for... 

Yep. Martin Atkinson all over - Allan pointed it out to him before the throw-in was taken, and he just arrogantly waved him away.

3 hours ago, Btay said:

As there were two Villa players injured (and both needing treatment) the laws allow both players to remain on the field. The goalkeeper wouldn't need to leave the field anyway, but as he went down it meant that Mings could remain on the pitch.

4 hours ago, Btay said:

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Yep. Martin Atkinson all over - Allan pointed it out to him before the throw-in was taken, and he just arrogantly waved him away.

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

As there were two Villa players injured (and both needing treatment) the laws allow both players to remain on the field. The goalkeeper wouldn't need to leave the field anyway, but as he went down it meant that Mings could remain on the pitch.

I thought the same as well but apparently when it is a clash between a defender and the keeper both players can stay on the pitch.

I found the VAR decision a bit of a strange one.

A few weeks ago Stones was sent off for trying to kick the ball and missing against Villa. The ball was high but it was clearly innocent and couldn't have been avoided. You can't stop your kick half way through.

The following week we had a similar sending off. For the life of me I can't remember who it was but I think they kicked the ball and the follow through of the kick was deemed dangerous and he was sent off (later appealed I think). Again it was innocent, its a natural collision in a game of football that will happen from time to time.

In this Mings case the ball is bouncing, he looks to be going for the ball to start with but then once its clear Dom is going to get there, Mings moves his leg back across to make sure he catches Dom. I don't think there is a lot of force behind it, but the intent was clear IMO and was far worse than the other two incidents that were deemed to be red cards using VAR.

It is one thing making an honest mistake in real time, it is another using video technology and still making the wrong decision.

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Cheers mate - knew about the keeper staying on for obvious reasons but didn’t know that rule! 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I found the VAR decision a bit of a strange one.

A few weeks ago Stones was sent off for trying to kick the ball and missing against Villa. The ball was high but it was clearly innocent and couldn't have been avoided. You can't stop your kick half way through.

The following week we had a similar sending off. For the life of me I can't remember who it was but I think they kicked the ball and the follow through of the kick was deemed dangerous and he was sent off (later appealed I think). Again it was innocent, its a natural collision in a game of football that will happen from time to time.

In this Mings case the ball is bouncing, he looks to be going for the ball to start with but then once its clear Dom is going to get there, Mings moves his leg back across to make sure he catches Dom. I don't think there is a lot of force behind it, but the intent was clear IMO and was far worse than the other two incidents that were deemed to be red cards using VAR.

It is one thing making an honest mistake in real time, it is another using video technology and still making the wrong decision.

It was the lad from Leeds against Liverpool I believe 

6 hours ago, pete0 said:

Deary me. Gomes has to pass that one.

186494991_3818341364943518_2233454114650

The pass was definitely more on than I thought.

40 minutes ago, Btay said:

I’m not upset that he took the shot on. He hasn’t got the advantage of a still shot to asses the situation. The execution though was poor - has to hit the target at least

But this as well. I've got no problem with a player shooting when he's in that position, but he's got to do better and at least be testing the keeper out.