IGNORED

FA Cup draw

MikeO

34 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Has our luck changed this past week? Could ask for a better draw. 

Love games like these, I was a non-league season ticket holder with my dad and brother as a kid and went to FA Cup games at Watford (lost 4-2), Brentford (won in a replay) and Shrewsbury (lost 2-1) and the atmosphere is something else.

Other side of the coin I've seen Everton beat Woking 1-0; Woking were a credit to their league (and most of the crowd stayed to applaud them on a lap of honour), and Telford 3-0; Telford were total dicks who tried to kick us off the park.

Will be a good day. Seen in interviews the Boreham Wood chairman re-mortgaged his house to get them through covid, and paid all the staff 100% of their wages. It'll be live on TV for sure and they'll make a mint, happy days.

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I took a screenshot from the ESPN broadcast...

yKkHyoC.png

Nice one mate, it almost seems a shame we are going to knock him out in the next round. When they announce his name in the line up he should get the biggest roar of the night, he’s definitely going to leave Goodison the happiest loser ever. There’s only one Kane Smith. 

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

Love games like these, I was a non-league season ticket holder with my dad and brother as a kid and went to FA Cup games at Watford (lost 4-2), Brentford (won in a replay) and Shrewsbury (lost 2-1) and the atmosphere is something else.

Other side of the coin I've seen Everton beat Woking 1-0; Woking were a credit to their league (and most of the crowd stayed to applaud them on a lap of honour), and Telford 3-0; Telford were total dicks who tried to kick us off the park.

Will be a good day. Seen in interviews the Boreham Wood chairman re-mortgaged his house to get them through covid, and paid all the staff 100% of their wages. It'll be live on TV for sure and they'll make a mint, happy days.

When I was watching the game last night I was hoping they'd win for the money it'll bring in for them. Yeah, it does make it an easier game for us (in theory!) but these clubs survive because of the FA Cup and ties like the one against us.

They'll sell out their allocation (unlike Brentford) and I hope as many of our fans as possible buy tickets for this despite it being a midweek game.

Edit - That being said, I hope we absolutely tonk them and embarrass them tbh.

31 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

When I was watching the game last night I was hoping they'd win for the money it'll bring in for them. Yeah, it does make it an easier game for us (in theory!) but these clubs survive because of the FA Cup and ties like the one against us.

They'll sell out their allocation (unlike Brentford) and I hope as many of our fans as possible buy tickets for this despite it being a midweek game.

Edit - That being said, I hope we absolutely tonk them and embarrass them tbh.

I was hoping the same, it will be a great revenue boost for them, there will probably be loads of juniors at the game at £5 each which I think is great. If they play like they did yesterday I will be a tougher game than were expecting, but I’d hope we’re a bit better than Bournemouth who were really poor IMO.

8 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

I was hoping the same, it will be a great revenue boost for them, there will probably be loads of juniors at the game at £5 each which I think is great. If they play like they did yesterday I will be a tougher game than were expecting, but I’d hope we’re a bit better than Bournemouth who were really poor IMO.

They just parked the bus and Bournemouth’s attack couldn’t figure it out. They won with 18% possession. I’d like to think our front line has a bit more creativity about them than Bournemouth’s.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Winner today visits Palace in the quarterfinal. Boro host Chelsea, Southampton host City and Forest/Huddersfield host the shite. 

Middlesbrough to win 5-0 against Chelsea who are in disarray following the departure of Roman Abramovich. Southampton to beat Manchester City who are too focussed on the league and Nottingham Forest and Huddersfield to put together a combined XI to knock out Liverpool. Everton to walk their way past Crystal Palace before being given a bye in the semi and final as the teams left in it are terrified of playing against a Frank Lampard side who are firing on all cylinders.

A man can dream right?

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

The saving grace is that it's not a league game and when Palace beat us it won't matter so much.

I take your point, which is pessimistic because realistic.  My comment about the international break was posted before the catastrophe at Spurs.  So now, after Spurs, we all have reason to think the Cup match with Palace is already a lost cause.  And to think Lampard’s priority must and will be the crucial upcoming home matches with Wolves and Newcastle.

My point originally, in a thread on the FA Cup, was that playing in London on Sunday after a crucial Thursday night home match meant Lampard might be forced into serious squad rotation, complicated by injuries, uncertain recoveries, etc.  But the saving grace, I thought — and hope to think again after the Newcastle match — is that since the international break follows the Palace match, Lampard will be free to play the most in-form players, knowing they’ll have time to recover over the break.

That we have so many in-hand matches both gives us some hope for survival but makes for an unusually crowded April and May.

If we take 6 points from our next 2 matches, or even 4 if that includes beating Newcastle, this thread will take on some renewed interest, and at least some will talk as if we might surprise Palace.  If, however, we take anything less than 4 from the next 2, this thread will probably die from lack of interest.  Or disgust.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2022 at 11:13, Elston Gunnn said:

If, however, we take anything less than 4 from the next 2, this thread will probably die from lack of interest.  Or disgust.

Apologies for quoting myself; bad form, undoubtedly.  But here it is 12 hours before the Cup match with Palace, and there’s no Matchday thread, nor any comment here.  So, as we did, in the event, take fewer than 4 from the Wolves and Newcastle matches, it appears that this thread has died from lack of interest and/or disgust. 

6 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Apologies for quoting myself; bad form, undoubtedly.  But here it is 12 hours before the Cup match with Palace, and there’s no Matchday thread, nor any comment here.  So, as we did, in the event, take fewer than 4 from the Wolves and Newcastle matches, it appears that this thread has died from lack of interest and/or disgust. 

Not all, I want us to win today, the more games we win the better for our confidence, and getting an away win could re install some of the lost confidence we seem to have when we’re away. I’ll take a scrappy win of any score.