IGNORED

Arsenal (Home) 4th February

Romey 1878

• Everton have won three of their past four Premier League games against Arsenal, as many as they had in their previous 26 (D7 L16).

• Arsenal have won 99 of their 202 league games against Everton (D43 L60) and could become the first team in English league history to register 100 victories against one opponent.

• Everton are winless in eight Premier League games (D2 L6), last having a longer such run between August and October 1994 (12). They've lost their past four home league games - only once before have they suffered more consecutive defeats on home soil (seven between April and September 1958).

• Only Newcastle (three) have conceded the first goal in fewer Premier League games than Arsenal this season (four). On those four occasions, the Gunners have taken an average of just 17 minutes to find an equaliser.

1 hour ago, RPG said:

We could get the new manager bounce, have the crowd up for it, catch Arsenal on a bad day and sneak a hard fought win. But getting trounced 0-5 is just as likely - as is a draw.

Iwobi  Doucoure  Onana  McNeil

I think you have it all covered here,@RPG - you're not allowing for abandoned match?

Is Gray not fit?

57 minutes ago, RPG said:

On his day, Gray can be brilliant in short patches but I am not sure he will be a starter for Dyche. I think he will go with what and who he knows and maybe bring Gray on from the bench.

If he plays that team, I will cry - first from despair and then from incredulity!

why are people so obsessed with Dyche picking Keane just because he was a Burnley player under him?

A lot of time has passed since he had him at Burnely, he's had some good times at Everton but plenty of bad times and I don't see any reason why he would suddenly pick him over Coady or Keane.

Keane has also shown that he struggles mentally when things aren't going well which doesn't make him a great pic unless there's some major change in his mentality just because Dyche has come in!

@Formby what team would you pick instead?  Apart from changing defenders and adding Gray there's not a lot of option really.

I'd consider Maupay alongside DCL for some games but don't think it would be a great option for this game.

Gueue's many errors this season would temp me to drop him, options to replace him would be Davies, Doucoure or maybe even Holgate.  Whoever looks best in training and Dyche fancies to put in a performance really.

I'd rather see Gray and McNeil on the Wings than Iwobi though that doesn't leave any space for Iwobi unless he's up top with DCL which isn't a goer unless he plays a number 10 kind of role behind DCL.

I can't really find any side that looks good in honesty!!

I'd like to see Mills on the bench as an option at least on the wing.

7 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

@Formby what team would you pick instead?  Apart from changing defenders and adding Gray there's not a lot of option really.

I can't really find any side that looks good in honesty!!

I agree with your last comment but there is no one in that midfield capable of running on to DCL's flicks, even if he gets them. He has to play two forwards for me. Would play Godfrey at LB as he has pace and power. Gray has pace, which he wants, so must start. I would consider playing Holgate at RB, too. 

Not to much pressure in this game. Think he might go tight at the back and feel under no pressure to try and play against Arsenal

Pickford

Godfrey,   Coady,   Tarks,   Mykolenko

Gana       

Iwobi          Onana     Doucoure      Grey 

DCL

Think we might have to have Grey in as at least some sort of counter attacking threat.

48 minutes ago, Formby said:

I agree with your last comment but there is no one in that midfield capable of running on to DCL's flicks, even if he gets them. He has to play two forwards for me. Would play Godfrey at LB as he has pace and power. Gray has pace, which he wants, so must start. I would consider playing Holgate at RB, too. 

Agree on support for DCL.

I'd say potential options are Maupay, Gray or Iwobi at the moment with potential for Simms also.

I'm really open to what team put out as to whoever comes through a week of training and adaptation a to how Dyche wants them to play.  If Davies has a great week, works well and buys into how Dyche wants to play then i'm happy for him to start.  Like wise someone like Doucoure.

Take this game for what it is, first under a new manager and coaching staff and against the league leaders. 🤞 new manager bounce and from his press conference it seems he's trying to instill confidence which has been sorely lacking. Whatever the result he will gain a lot from this game.

Listening to the various places where Dyche has talked about his tactics I don't  see him playing a single pivot. I think he is more likely to want to play a second striker / number 10 that will sit on the deepest Arsenal midfielder, although that is pretty difficult in itself because of their rotation with the full backs and wingers.

32 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Listening to the various places where Dyche has talked about his tactics I don't  see him playing a single pivot. I think he is more likely to want to play a second striker / number 10 that will sit on the deepest Arsenal midfielder, although that is pretty difficult in itself because of their rotation with the full backs and wingers.

He likes to pin both centre halves and this means if the opposition has a single pivot then one passing lane can get cut off. 

I have the feeling Ben white will be used to help if that’s the case.  Onana is gonna play a huge part in us going forward. 

8 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He likes to pin both centre halves and this means if the opposition has a single pivot then one passing lane can get cut off. 

I have the feeling Ben white will be used to help if that’s the case.  Onana is gonna play a huge part in us going forward. 

This is the problem, Arsenal dont have a single pivot and the is a lot of rotation between Zinchenko / Xhaka / Martinelli on one side and then White / Partay or Odegaard / Saka on the other.

Whatever you try and do with a front two, Arsenal will outnumber the defenders.

Im not sure how Dyche can really tackle this Arsenal side with the players he has bar getting a bit lucky along the way.

Ill be most interested in seeing how we do put our attacks together from a defensive position as the best way to keep top teams honest is to give them enough to worry about at the back so that they don't steamroll over you.

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

If Dyche goes for his trusted 4-4-2 I actually think DCL and Maupay could work going forward 

This is what I’m expecting - Maupay to drop a bit deeper off the ball. I’m expecting Gray & Mcneil out wide with Onana/Iwobi centrally. Maybe Iwobi up with DCL and Gana in central midfield.

What ever he does though the 2 CM’s are going to need to get through a mountain of work!

If we go 442 then Gana has to be the one to make way for the extra striker, he has offered very little since his arrival and imo disrupts the balance of the team. I would also give Coady a kick up the arse he's been poor for weeks a shadow of the player who first joined,
I would go with .

Pickford 

Coleman.  Tarkowski.  Godfrey. Mykolen

Gray.           Iwobi.      Onana         McNeil

DCL.           Maupay.  

I really don't think Iwobi has the discipline for a central midfielder in a 442.

He gets caught out in a 451 too often but at least then he has more cover. It's not like Dyche is known for his creative players in midfield so I think we will see him line up wider for the rest of the season.

40 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I really don't think Iwobi has the discipline for a central midfielder in a 442.

He gets caught out in a 451 too often but at least then he has more cover. It's not like Dyche is known for his creative players in midfield so I think we will see him line up wider for the rest of the season.

Which will be a shame if he does. We really need to be playing to strengths which is what he said he'll try and do. We'll see I guess :)

Im grasping at straws now just looking for any glimmer of hope but I genuinely believe 4-4-2 suits our squad best. Our fullbacks are limited going forward. Our centerbacks can't play in space. Gueye is past it so he can sit deeper and disrupt. Onana wants to do more but often lacked space in the middle 3. Iwobi is versatile. Maupay is only successful when he has support. DCL could use some too since he hasn't been a threat in a year now. 

Pickford
Coleman Pick 2 CBs Mykolenko
Gray Onana Gana Iwobi
Maupay DCL

I would prefer Maupay never play again but at the very least this is giving him a chance to show what he can do despite all the obvious limitations in his game. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Which will be a shame if he does. We really need to be playing to strengths which is what he said he'll try and do. We'll see I guess :)

Dont forget that a Dyche 442 will be very different to Iwobi playing as a winger. It will be more like a wide central midfielder 🤣

I can't see how in the current state we are in Dyche refuses to play Gray who is the most likely to make something happen, especially when given space to run in to.

I'd much prefer to see Iwobi behind DCL, but given his work rate and better defensive ability when compared to Gray, I think it would make more sense to see him on the right, giving more of a balance to the team.

It's anybody's guess, but here's what I think Dyche will go for:

Pickford

Coleman Coady Tarks Mykolenko/Holgate

Iwobi Onana Gueye McNeil

Gray

DCL

It wouldn't surprise me to see Godfrey back at LB when he is fit. I think Dyche will prefer Coleman/Godfrey in the future or Holgate/Mykolenko. I can't see Patterson getting much game time.

I doubt very much we will get anything against a very strong Arsenal team, despite the new manager bounce. I'm more interested to see who Dyche chooses as his starting XI and I'm looking forward to seeing a much more direct philosophy. 

Not something I'd normally say, but I'd absolutely take a point right now.

After reading some of the posts on here, I'd bet good money that Iwobi will not be playing in a central midfield pairing, and we won't be playing a single pivot in midfield, it's not how Dyche sets up his team's.

He can't play all of Iwobi, Gray, Maupay, McNeil and DCL in the same starting XI. For me Maupay or McNeil has to make way and I think it'll be Maupay who misses out at least for this game, especially given how Arsenal set up with Partay and now maybe even Jorginho - 4411 makes sense to me for this one.

I'm not sure Dyche will be a big fan of the Gana Onana pairing in midfield either, but IMO I don't think he will find a better one. Onana for me will be a big player under Dyche, but I can't see Gana being replaced by Davies or Doucoure.