IGNORED

Summer 2023 Transfer Window (The Great Everton Depression)

Yeah. I think the overall starting 11 is stronger and more balanced.

Squad depth is a concern, but that's the shit position we're in.

The wage bill and bank balance needed to be better, more so if we want to attract investment.

Iwobi is the only one to go that is a regular. What we all need to understand with that one is its pure business. We've lost so many players on free's after signing them for 20, 30, 40 mill...thats really stung us for FFP. Getting around 20mill for Iwobi astute by our recent standards.

We do need that cash injection though. We really can't lose anyone else come January.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I can't find anything that says they've completed the signings of Sangare, Origi or the Norwich CB.

I've seen it for Sangare now.

That's a very good signing. I wonder when the first missed payment is due.

Edit - and now Origi. I was so happy when he left the league because it meant at least 1 terrible player would stop scoring against us. Fucks sake.

And now the Norwich lad too. I have no idea who he is tbh :lol:.

shame we didn’t get a CB in.

I think with Iwobi going Dyche will be looking a Dele who on his day is a much better player - also Danjuma is an upgrade on Iwobi.

All in all a good window & I think we will have a couple of players come in January. We’ve definitely added more goals & balance to the squad.

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

Some were but none of it matters when you have a manager as crap as Lampard! 

Again, at the time of the summer window a lot of people are high on the manager and also the dealings.

it's not a criticism of anyone it's just that what happens in reality can be different to what's on paper.

We could be sitting her in Jan slagging of dyche and the purchases we made. 

hopefully not, as on paper I do think we have improved the squad. 

Be interesting to assess where we are since end of last season in terms of wage bill but also net transfer spend.

if we include Moise Kean, I make it that we are 20-25M up (that's counting all fees as immediate payments which I know they aren't)

for wages, we've shifted 275k per week off the wage bill last night. Plus Mina and others. Then when you add the wages of the new guys, I'd estimate that we have had a very good spell from a commercial standpoint and even strengthening the team and removing dead wood who would never really play.

IN: Young, Chermiti, Beto
OUT: Nkounkou, Kean, Simms, Samuels-Smith, Iwobi, Cannon, Gbamin
LOAN IN: Danjuma, Harrison
LOAN OUT: Tyrer, Warrington, Mills, Leban, Welch, Holgate, Maupay
CONTRACT RENEWED/EXTENDED: Seamus, Lonergan, J Virginia

YOUTH CONTRACTS: Sherif, Jones, Barker, Tierney, Heath, Butler, Djankpata

Depth:
GK - Pickford, Virginia, Lonergan
RB - Patterson, Coleman
CB - Tarky, Branthwaite, Keane, Godfrey
LB - Mykolenko, Young
CM - Gana, Onana, Doucoure, Garner, Dele, Gomes, Onyango
W - McNeil, Danjuma, Gray, Harrison, Dobbin
ST - DCL, Beto, Chermiti 

I look at that squad and I can’t help getting a feeling of pending doom, I can see that we have improved the strength of our forwards and possibly wingers, but with no improvement to our midfield and a weaker defence I see huge problems if we end up with a couple of injuries in those 2 areas. All in all not very confident I’m sad to say we missed the opportunity to strengthen those two key areas of the team. 

Overall happy with this window.

The starting 11 looks much stronger for me, but time will tell. 
We have managed ao get rid of a lot of dead wood and that is what is really needed for the club to survive long term.

The only first team player gone is Iwobi, but we’ve added possibly four first team players.

Would have liked a Gana type to come in, but understand that we have a year to look for that player. Just pray for no injuries.

Would have also liked a CB to come in, but I’m happy that Branthwaite is held in such regard that we didn’t really go for one. But this could sting us.

Some astute business been done though so happy enough without being overjoyed.

We’ve started the season with three losses and no goals, no we need to get back to business and see what impact the new signings can have.

38 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I look at that squad and I can’t help getting a feeling of pending doom, I can see that we have improved the strength of our forwards and possibly wingers, but with no improvement to our midfield and a weaker defence I see huge problems if we end up with a couple of injuries in those 2 areas. All in all not very confident I’m sad to say we missed the opportunity to strengthen those two key areas of the team. 

I think we will be okay pending injuries. Once we get Mcneil & Harrison back it will start to take shape. No longer do we need to say “If” we get Dom back. January I hope we can get another CB & start to look for Gana’s long term replacement.

This is the first window in a long time I felt like everyone was on the same page and working towards to same vision.

4 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

GK - Pickford, Virginia, Lonergan
RB - Patterson, Coleman
CB - Tarky, Branthwaite, Keane, Godfrey
LB - Mykolenko, Young
CM - Gana, Onana, Doucoure, Garner, Dele, Gomes, Onyango
W - McNeil, Danjuma, Gray, Harrison, Dobbin
ST - DCL, Beto, Chermiti 

I’d say that’s the most balanced squad we’ve had in some time.

We've had more talented squads, but the cost of those squads had crippled us. 

There are two players for each position. There are a few young lads to be involved in Branthwaite, Onyango, Dobbin and Chermiti.

Most importantly; we need to see McNeil, Harrison, Gray, Beto, DCL and Dele fit and contributing. 

Considering the financial constraints we were under, I think this has been a good window. Every area of the team needed an upgrade, really; that was never going to happen. The essential area did. The players going out were either crap or never going to play. The squad looks leaner but better. Always a risk with injuries, of course, but you have to accept that.  

Just now, c1982 said:

Thelwell is supposedly trying to renegotiate the Dele deal… good luck with Levy!!!

His contract runs out next year, right? I wonder if we'll use him for the max amount of games towards the end of the season without triggering the payment. Then assess and offer him a new contract as a free agent if he does well, to get around the fee. No idea on the details of the trigger payments, mind. 

10 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Strange window in terms of how to feel about it.

Deadline Day has obviously put a bit of a dampener on it but we've made some good signings that should improve us, got rid of players that aren't good enough like Coady and Holgate, got rid of a few high earners too (which will be good for our finances), got a few youngsters out on loan to gain experience, sold the likes of Simms and Cannon which will also go a long way to improving our financial position.

Would I have liked a couple more signings? Absolutely, but I don't think it's the total disaster some are painting it to be.

I know what you mean, pros and cons to it.

All being fit, I feel generally maybe we have a stronger top 15 players. All players available, on paper we have better tools to win a game.

However, the 25 man squad is probably weaker in depth of players. However, the depth of players we did have where generally not good enough or at least did not provide good value. 

We need a bit of luck

- Branthawaite need to show he really is a Premeriship player, we need him to develop a reliable and consistent CB pairing with Tarks. 

- one of Beto or DCL (ideally both) need to be on the pitch and scoreing goals.

- need to have the rub on the green injury wise.

There feels an element of a gamble in what has happened by the close of the window. 

The success or failure of the transfer window, can only really be ultimately be judged on state of the team at around Xmas time before the next window opens. if we are 4-5 point out of the relegation spots at the turn of the year I would take than now. 

Yeah I think the starting XI looks much stronger. Young is an upgrade on Myko, hopefully this will be a breakout season for Branthwaite and he looks like he will better than Coady/Keane/Yerry(due to his fitness issues)

Danjuma and Harrison look like they can both add goals/assists so are also a plus but the biggest bonus is actually having a CF

Problem is the squad is still shite, we aren’t going to have many options from the bench to influence games and we are only a couple of injuries away from disaster

Hopefully there is money in the pot to address that a little bit in January

12 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Yeah I think the starting XI looks much stronger. Young is an upgrade on Myko, hopefully this will be a breakout season for Branthwaite and he looks like he will better than Coady/Keane/Yerry(due to his fitness issues)

Danjuma and Harrison look like they can both add goals/assists so are also a plus but the biggest bonus is actually having a CF

Problem is the squad is still shite, we aren’t going to have many options from the bench to influence games and we are only a couple of injuries away from disaster

Hopefully there is money in the pot to address that a little bit in January

We have to look for a couple of non contract players. 
midfield and defence.