IGNORED

Summer 2023 Transfer Window (The Great Everton Depression)

I would probably rate this window 6/10, would have been an 8/10 had we not lost Iwobi without a replacement and I would have preferred Cannon to have gone on loan

But all in all it was a quite positive window, think Danjuma and Harrison will prove to be shrewd buys and we finally look to have a decent CF in Beto . I think Young is also an upgrade on Mykalenko 

Surely the lack of incoming transfers today means Gray is staying put, I would have been a little disappointed if he had left

If Deli Alli can get back to any kind of form he could be the one to provide a bit of creativity playing behind Beto in a 4-4-1-1

14 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I would probably rate this window 6/10, would have been an 8/10 had we not lost Iwobi without a replacement and I would have preferred Cannon to have gone on loan

But all in all it was a quite positive window, think Danjuma and Harrison will prove to be shrewd buys and we finally look to have a decent CF in Beto . I think Young is also an upgrade on Mykalenko 

Surely the lack of incoming transfers today means Gray is staying put, I would have been a little disappointed if he had left

If Deli Alli can get back to any kind of form he could be the one to provide a bit of creativity playing behind Beto in a 4-4-1-1

Gray can still  go to Saudi, as there market stays open longer - a la James? i think that's correct.

1 minute ago, Newty82 said:

It doesn't matter how many we lost, its who we lost.

Most of the players gone where no where our squad, never mind starting 11.

No I get it but for a club that doesn't have much luck with injuries we are setting self up for failure.bif Tark went down then we got a kid and Keane and Godfrey.. I'm sure McNeil n Harrison will help but we need to suffer no more injuries with lack of depth 

I'm not looking for arguments I'm just frustrated and upset and don't always express my thoughts well on paper.

4 minutes ago, Boston Toffee said:

No I get it but for a club that doesn't have much luck with injuries we are setting self up for failure.bif Tark went down then we got a kid and Keane and Godfrey.. I'm sure McNeil n Harrison will help but we need to suffer no more injuries with lack of depth 

I'm not looking for arguments I'm just frustrated and upset and don't always express my thoughts well on paper.

No no, alls good bud. I come in peace! 😂

I think I'm still hoping something happens tonight!

I think both sides of the 'Good Window' - 'Bad Window' will have valid points.

Numbers wise we're no better off. But the squad feels a bit better. I think. Maybe.

Pickford/Virginia/Lonergan 

Patterson/Coleman

Young/Mykolenko

Tarkowski/Branthwaite/Keane/Godfrey

Garner/Gueye/Onana/Doucoure

Dele

McNeil/Harrison/Dobbin/Danjuma

Beto/Calvert-Lewin/Chermiti (23 players)

??? - Gomes/Gray/Gbamin (26?)

Have I missed anyone? I joke but can see players like Lingard coming into the reckoning with our threadbare squad - should it look like this when all windows close!

On 31/08/2023 at 15:38, dunlopp9987 said:

Probably because I've been conditioned not to get my hopes up, but I have a feeling our business is done

Nothing makes me sadder than being right about this. 

The one positive thing so far from this season has been that we are so utterly predictable, so thankfully nothing has really come as a shock. Including this.

16 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Nothing makes me sadder than being right about this. 

The one positive thing so far from this season has been that we are so utterly predictable, so thankfully nothing has really come as a shock. Including this.

We're usually very active on the final day of the summer TDD, its almost a meme. This is a rarity if it closes without any new faces. We've still done well.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I’m not overly impressed by the window.  Iwobi going wasn’t anticipated, gray isn’t gonna be committed.  Cannon and maupay going means we only have 2 strikers, Danjuma can maybe play central I guess…. 

jan is a shocking window. Maybe we are gonna use the money for dele 

good job we have just swooped in and signed another one then!

https://x.com/frazfletcher/status/1697716821132976241?s=46&t=1wM_xvx1NFbXaZSqIaj30A

28 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Pickford/Virginia/Lonergan 

Patterson/Coleman

Young/Mykolenko

Tarkowski/Branthwaite/Keane/Godfrey

Garner/Gueye/Onana/Doucoure

Dele

McNeil/Harrison/Dobbin/Danjuma

Beto/Calvert-Lewin/Chermiti (23 players)

??? - Gomes/Gray/Gbamin (26?)

Have I missed anyone? I joke but can see players like Lingard coming into the reckoning with our threadbare squad - should it look like this when all windows close!

Fuck me that’s scary!

30 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Forest showing our club how it’s done. 

👀 Forest are surely following in our footsteps, and have maybe even outdone us in how not to recruit ? 

They have been throwing money all over the place on average players and offering wages way above their station ala Jesse Lingard

I’ve lost count of the amount of players they have signed in the past few windows , I think they have as well because they have forgotten to pay half of them!

Think it’s only a matter time before FFP clips their wings as well

….. now if you would have said Brighton!

Still trying to work out whether we are weaker or stronger after this window

Defensively there is no question we are massively weaker, and given how shambolic we were last season that in itself is a scary thought . Young is an upgrade at LB but we are far worse off at CB. Hopefully Tarks form picks up and Branthwaite has a breakout season and both stay injury free otherwise we are fucked

Same as in CM, but maybe if Garner gets a run there maybe he ca add something , but think Danjuma, Harrison and Beto improve the attack

Wafer think squad just got even smaller so we need a lot of luck with injuries and suspensions between now an January

This has been an excellent window for us, and I don't get the negativity. More than anything, we needed capable strikers, and we've brought in a mix of strong and young players in this area. We needed wingers, and we've brought them in. We needed to reduce the wage bill, and we've sold high earners. I vote that we rename this thread "the great Everton revival".

Strange window in terms of how to feel about it.

Deadline Day has obviously put a bit of a dampener on it but we've made some good signings that should improve us, got rid of players that aren't good enough like Coady and Holgate, got rid of a few high earners too (which will be good for our finances), got a few youngsters out on loan to gain experience, sold the likes of Simms and Cannon which will also go a long way to improving our financial position.

Would I have liked a couple more signings? Absolutely, but I don't think it's the total disaster some are painting it to be.