IGNORED

England

Well, using what has been proven at a club level:

Hart

Johnson - Jagielka - Cahill - Baines

Gerrard - Wilshere -

Barkley

Sterling- Sturridge - Rooney

Reasoning behind that XI: the back four is quite decent, although nowhere near international quality. There is nothing better though, especially for RB and CB. In midfield, Gerrard playing the same holding role he plays nowadays, or Barry (depends on form and fitness), then Wilshere doing the distribution and more mobile. Barkley for the link-up play, with Sterling and Sturridge doing the same work they do for Liverpool and Rooney in the Suarez role. That team would click instantly, since those players have more or less the same role they have in their clubs, and Rooney would flourish in that position.

Veredict: Out in the Quarter Finals, penalty shoot-out against a south american team.

I think Lallana has to be a starter given his form this season.

I'd go with the same back 5 as most people have chosen (Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines), but have some different ideas for midfielders depending on the shape of the team.

Standard 4-4-2:

Sterling/Oxlade---Gerrard---Delph/Wilshere---Lallana

-----------------Sturridge-----------Rooney-----------------

4-3-3:

----------------------------Gerrard----------------------------

------------------Lallana-----------Delph/Wilshere---------

Sturridge-----------------Rooney-----------------Sterling

Diamond 4-4-2:

----------------------------Gerrard----------------------------

--------------Henderson-----------Delph/Wilshere--------

----------------------------Lallana----------------------------

-----------------Sturridge-----------Rooney-----------------

Personally like the last two formations the best. The diamond could be used for a more balanced, possession based game, while the 4-3-3 looks like a good counter-attacking strategy.

Delph looks a decent player but he is a liability with his rash tackling, wilshire? has some substance abuse issues doesnt he, that may answer why he's permanently injured and average.

I would adopt the same system that Liverpool have... I know its sickening but given that the key players to their system Gerrard, Sterling, Sturridge can be complimented with Barkley to do Coutinho's role, Rooney to do Suarez role it has to be better than what we are used to seeing from England.

Hart

Walker - Jags - Cahill - Baines

Gerrard

Sterling Henderson

Barkley

Sturridge Rooney

You'd have Delph ahead of Barkley? And Wilshere even though he's had a poor season and is injured, again?

Barkley hasn't been consistent enough in recent times to warrant a starting position, though I'll admit neither has Wilshere as it stands. I'd prefer to see Lallana used as a creative mid over Barkley due to his more consistent performances and I think Delph (or Henderson) could provide a little more grit in the middle than Ross basically. I'd definitely be looking to utilise him off the bench though as a game changer and fresh pair of legs in midfield.

Guest Nikica

So does Roy go with the best formation and put the players in as best he can or does he put the best 11 out and tailor the formation to them?

Tactics over personnel I would say mate. As Bailey said earlier in the thread when I mentioned playing Sturridge on the wing (I think it was him), it's best to fit players into your philosophy, even if it means selecting inferior players.

If we're looking to the future, I'd include more young players in the 23-man squad.

Joe Hart, John Ruddy, Jack Butland.

Phil Jagielka, Leighton Baines, John Stones, Luke Shaw, Phil Jones, Gary Cahill, Steven Caulker.

Ross Barkley, Adam Lallana, Steven Gerrard, Jack Wilshere, Jordan Henderson, Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Andros Townsend.

Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck, Jay Rodriguez, Rickie Lambert.

If we're looking to the future, I'd include more young players in the 23-man squad.

Joe Hart, John Ruddy, Jack Butland.

Phil Jagielka, Leighton Baines, John Stones, Luke Shaw, Phil Jones, Gary Cahill, Steven Caulker.

Ross Barkley, Adam Lallana, Steven Gerrard, Jack Wilshere, Jordan Henderson, Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Andros Townsend.

Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck, Jay Rodriguez, Rickie Lambert.

agreed but Rodriguez is out for 6 months

I'd take carroll too - with Gerrard pinging crosses it would be daft not to utilise that combo if we needed it. At international level he will ruffle feathers big time.

He's not a patch on big dunc, but remember what Fergie did to World Cup winner Roque Junior when he played for Leeds??? Just look at this picture.....

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/players/roquejunior.htm

If carroll could apply a little bit of that up front it would give us something different against difficult "softer" opponents.

Guest Nikica

Fair points about Carroll as a 'big man' option off the bench, but wouldn't Lambert be better for that role? He's great in the air and a pretty good footballer on the ground as well. He can take free-kicks and would be very handy in a penalty shootout. I reckon he'd be the better choice, but I can see what you guys mean in regards to Carroll.

I was sorry to hear about Rodriguez. He's been very impressive this season and deserved a place in the squad. Never like to see players injured before major tournaments. He must be pretty low right now :(

Fair points about Carroll as a 'big man' option off the bench, but wouldn't Lambert be better for that role? He's great in the air and a pretty good footballer on the ground as well. He can take free-kicks and would be very handy in a penalty shootout. I reckon he'd be the better choice, but I can see what you guys mean in regards to Carroll.

I was sorry to hear about Rodriguez. He's been very impressive this season and deserved a place in the squad. Never like to see players injured before major tournaments. He must be pretty low right now :(

Yeh thats true, I keep forgetting about Lambert. Although having said that Lambert plays in the same mode that Rooney or Sturridge would do in dropping off to find space, link up play and try and get someone else in on goal or have a go themselves (albeit not as good from what I have seen of him). With Carroll you get a wrecking ball, someone that will launch himself at every cross near him and get himself in box waiting for someone to play that final pass. I dont really know how many strikers you could afford to take in the squad but I think Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Defoe and Carroll would pretty much allow you to have all bases covered.

Lambert's still quite a beast in the box if used in that manner. Soton's original tactic under Adkins was pretty much to get the ball out wide and put in crosses towards the far post because of Lambo's dominance in the air. I think with Rodriguez now out that a forward combination of Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert & Welbeck is pretty much nailed on.

• 3 weeks later...

Townsend is out of the World Cup.

Can't really say I'm arsed about that tbh. Hit and run, that's what he is.

hes reminded me of Sterling last season; burst on to the scene then faded badly. I wouldnt write him off yet though, hes very direct and will improve over the next few years