IGNORED

Seamus Coleman

scouse

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

duffy mccarthy mcgeady coleman, the roy keane busts up with ward, if i was ireland FA i'd fire em all and start over from scratch.

• 1 month later...

During a brief discussion of Kenny and Coleman on the current Palace matchday thread, I mentioned that Coleman wouldn’t be ready until November.  Then the dismaying thought occurred to me that Coleman might be rounding into shape just in time for O’Neill to use him against Denmark on Nov. 19 - and that Coleman would be injured.

Lo and behold, here’s O’Neill ......

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2018/10/15/what-the-papers-say-october-15

I suspect Silva and O’Neill may get testy with each other in the coming weeks.  Seamus surely wants to represent his country and will probably be fit a month from now - or close enough for O’Neill.  Silva will of course have a somewhat different perspective, especially if Coleman doesn’t play against Gor Mahia or Chelsea.  Imagine the fireworks, for example, if Coleman isn’t even on tne bench by the Chelsea match, and then O’Neill plays him a week later.

2 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Seamus surely wants to represent his country and will probably be fit a month from now - or close enough for O’Neill.  Silva will of course have a somewhat different perspective, especially if Coleman doesn’t play against Gor Mahia or Chelsea.  Imagine the fireworks, for example, if Coleman isn’t even on tne bench by the Chelsea match, and then O’Neill plays him a week later.

I'd hope that Seamus has the sense to withdraw from the Irish Squad, he's still got plenty of opportunities to represent his country in the coming years, he  missed a big chunk of 2017, he won't want a repeat.

8 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

During a brief discussion of Kenny and Coleman on the current Palace matchday thread, I mentioned that Coleman wouldn’t be ready until November.  Then the dismaying thought occurred to me that Coleman might be rounding into shape just in time for O’Neill to use him against Denmark on Nov. 19 - and that Coleman would be injured.

Lo and behold, here’s O’Neill ......

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2018/10/15/what-the-papers-say-october-15

I suspect Silva and O’Neill may get testy with each other in the coming weeks.  Seamus surely wants to represent his country and will probably be fit a month from now - or close enough for O’Neill.  Silva will of course have a somewhat different perspective, especially if Coleman doesn’t play against Gor Mahia or Chelsea.  Imagine the fireworks, for example, if Coleman isn’t even on tne bench by the Chelsea match, and then O’Neill plays him a week later.

Same thing for McCarthy. Mind you, some on here lay into McCarthy because he "surely wants to represent his country." It wasn't so long ago that players' ultimate goal was to play for their country, and that's still true for the Celtic countries. If we understand the sentiment for Coleman then we should be fair in accepting McCarthy's desire, too.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Same thing for McCarthy. Mind you, some on here lay into McCarthy because he "surely wants to represent his country." It wasn't so long ago that players' ultimate goal was to play for their country, and that's still true for the Celtic countries. If we understand the sentiment for Coleman then we should be fair in accepting McCarthy's desire, too.

Yes, McCarthy and Coleman presumably both hope to play for ROI on Nov. 19.  As best we can tell, however, their progress in regaining fitness diverges considerably.  As McCarthy is back in training, wouldn’t we expect to see him back on the bench by, at the latest, the Brighton match in early November, probably start in the friendly against Gor Mahia, and get some minutes off the bench against Chelsea?  If so, I don’t know how Silva could complain much if the following week O’Neill plays a match-fit player who wants to play for his country.

But Coleman’s situation is rather different.  He’s not likely to be clearly ready by Nov. 19.  Maybe Silva and O’Neill will be carping at each other about both players.  Maybe over neither.  My guess is simply that Coleman’s, but probably not McCarthy’s, health and readiness will be a testy issue between the managers.

3 hours ago, Paddock said:

Sooner Colemans back the better for me- sick of seeing Kenny get sent for the Echo week in week out.

He's learning, and we're winning, so no harm is being done right now. This is how most young players work their way into a team, right? Sometimes, you have to place bets on youngsters. He's doing plenty of things right even while making naive mistakes.

17 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

He's learning, and we're winning, so no harm is being done right now. This is how most young players work their way into a team, right? Sometimes, you have to place bets on youngsters. He's doing plenty of things right even while making naive mistakes.

Sound so lets just play all our young players then and leave the best players out the side so they can learn. Kenny isn’t good enough- he was turned inside out at Leicester, went to ground for their goal, he’s caught out of position too often and ball watches. Just because he’s young doesn’t give him the automatic right to play- I don’t care wat age any of the players are I want the strongest possible team out giving us the best possible chance of winning.

1 hour ago, Paddock said:

Sound so lets just play all our young players then and leave the best players out the side so they can learn. Kenny isn’t good enough- he was turned inside out at Leicester, went to ground for their goal, he’s caught out of position too often and ball watches. Just because he’s young doesn’t give him the automatic right to play- I don’t care wat age any of the players are I want the strongest possible team out giving us the best possible chance of winning.

i thought i was the only one who didn't rate kenny, glad to see i have some company.  even a half hobbled coleman is better than kenny.  

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i thought i was the only one who didn't rate kenny, glad to see i have some company.  even a half hobbled coleman is better than kenny.  

Mark, can't agree with you here at all, I love Seamus, but he's not been anywhere near good enough since his return, bar the end to end run against Leicester - his first game back. His delivery has been poor and his defending so so at best.

Yes Jonjoe is making a few mistakes but he's played a key part in the lead up to a few goals this season, Siggis first against Fulham springs to mind. He was not the only player at fault for Leicesters goal a couple of weeks ago, Bernard gave the ball away, Gana tried but didn't win the ball, leaving Jonjoe 1 on 1 for most of the run, and if it had been Richarlison running at Leicester in that way we would be praising him and delighting in him turning his defender inside out, we can't have it both ways.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Maybe but Your forgetting that Coleman isn'ttt able to play, and until he does Kenny is the best we have, can't believe the stick he's getting, at this moment in time he's not letting anybody down.

I’m not saying anything that isn’t true- he was shambolic for Leicesters goal- schoolboy stuff diving in and going to ground. It’s not his fault and I support him at the game 100% but he’s not good enough.

3 hours ago, Paddock said:

I’m not saying anything that isn’t true- he was shambolic for Leicesters goal- schoolboy stuff diving in and going to ground. It’s not his fault and I support him at the game 100% but he’s not good enough.

We got caught on the break and he got turned inside out by a very fast and skillful player, as would most right backs in that situation! The goal was not his fault alone.

Kenny has contributed to the attacking threat we possess, and formed a good understanding with Theo. He is getting better with every game he plays. Defensively  he is ok, but needs to improve, but again this will come with experience. His positioning is good, he just needs to learn when to go forward and when to stay back. He can tackle and he has pace. 

We have to invest in young players, give them time to grow, to accept that they will make mistakes and be inconsistent, to reap the dividends later

13 hours ago, London Blue said:

We got caught on the break and he got turned inside out by a very fast and skillful player, as would most right backs in that situation! The goal was not his fault alone.

Kenny has contributed to the attacking threat we possess, and formed a good understanding with Theo. He is getting better with every game he plays. Defensively  he is ok, but needs to improve, but again this will come with experience. His positioning is good, he just needs to learn when to go forward and when to stay back. He can tackle and he has pace. 

We have to invest in young players, give them time to grow, to accept that they will make mistakes and be inconsistent, to reap the dividends later

He dived in twice, it’s not the first time either our right flank in virtually vacant because of his positional sense- Fulham being a prime example, he was turned like a kipper there also- one point it looked like we didn’t have a right back when they were going forward. I’m not hating on the lad, it’s not his fault alls I’m saying is the sooner Coleman comes back the better for me as Kenny imo is defensively niave at this level. 

31 minutes ago, Paddock said:

He dived in twice, it’s not the first time either our right flank in virtually vacant because of his positional sense- Fulham being a prime example, he was turned like a kipper there also- one point it looked like we didn’t have a right back when they were going forward. I’m not hating on the lad, it’s not his fault alls I’m saying is the sooner Coleman comes back the better for me as Kenny imo is defensively niave at this level. 

He got turned once and fell, and then dived at the end, but he was being run at by a player with pace, while trying to help the team as the Leciester team broke. 

Let's not forget that this is a new back 4 still learning how to play together as a defense. They are going to make collective and individual mistakes.

Game of opinions but in mine he has done well, made some key passes and runs to help score goals as well as some good tackles. He will get better if we let him develop

54 minutes ago, Paddock said:

You insinuated by quoting a quote that was directly at me. Please don’t go down your usual hands in the air “ not me guvnor” on it- we both know exactly what you meant.

I'm not insinuating anything, just pointing out that it could've been worse and was replying to Bills point. Get your knickers untwisted.

• 2 weeks later...