IGNORED

Mason Holgate

c1982

12 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

"With hindsight, the switch was always destined to fail. This is because he came into a much different game on Sunday than the one he excelled in against United two seasons ago."

"Holgate’s lack of familiarity with the role, added with the timing on his arrival in the game, made it a strange switch by Benitez and one that could have proved costly in terms of the result."

We're having this discussion because of a totally inept substitution.

57 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I disagree, classic rush of blood to the head and totally intentional imo, I don't think Godfrey has that in his temperament.

He's gone through quite a few players having won the ball, and everyone cheers. Holgates been acting like he's all that so everyone is on his case. 

2 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

"With hindsight, the switch was always destined to fail. This is because he came into a much different game on Sunday than the one he excelled in against United two seasons ago."

"Holgate’s lack of familiarity with the role, added with the timing on his arrival in the game, made it a strange switch by Benitez and one that could have proved costly in terms of the result."

We're having this discussion because of a totally inept substitution.

We’re having this discussion because the only other option was Gbamin 

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

He's gone through quite a few players having won the ball, and everyone cheers. Holgates been acting like he's all that so everyone is on his case. 

For sure he takes man and ball sometimes but I've never seen him do it in a way that was very likely to cause serious injury, he keeps his feet low rather than going in at knee height, hard but fair (see Neville on Ronaldo); and consequently he's never been red carded for us as far as I can remember.

Mason was extremely lucky he didn't cause Højbjerg serious injury; also if it was "a yellow all day long but never a red" why aren't the club appealing it?

34 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

We’re having this discussion because the only other option was Gbamin 

Benitez brought Gbamin on later for Gray. The other midfielder on the bench was Iwobi. I would argue that Allan didn't need replacing (my MotM), but maybe he was suffering because of the flu. It wasn't obvious, though.

When it happened, I was mystified: Why Holgate for Allan? I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

For sure he takes man and ball sometimes but I've never seen him do it in a way that was very likely to cause serious injury, he keeps his feet low rather than going in at knee height, hard but fair (see Neville on Ronaldo); and consequently he's never been red carded for us as far as I can remember.

Mason was extremely lucky he didn't cause Højbjerg serious injury; also if it was "a yellow all day long but never a red" why aren't the club appealing it?

Good point a straight red can be appealed, but not a single word from the club that suggests they didn’t think it was a red card, they might stand by him and argue it wasn’t malicious but I don’t think they’d argue it wasn’t a red. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

We've not appealed plenty of red cards. The only one I remember we did appeal was the stupid one for Digne. Means nothing.

I was pretty much on my own for the other 2 recent red cards given to players who caught someone badly after they'd hoofed the ball, I'll stand alone here if needed. I understand why people think it is, I just don't agree. 

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

We've not appealed plenty of red cards. The only one I remember we did appeal was the stupid one for Digne. Means nothing.

I was pretty much on my own for the other 2 recent red cards given to players who caught someone badly after they'd hoofed the ball, I'll stand alone here if needed. I understand why people think it is, I just don't agree. 

Other than the fact that the club think they have no chance of overturning it as it was an obvious red:P

As to standing alone (nothing wrong with that), you're henceforth to be known as Horatius:D

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Other than the fact that the club think they have no chance of overturning it as it was an obvious red:P

As to standing alone (nothing wrong with that), you're henceforth to be known as Horatius:D

Well, it's not completely without merit so no, they wouldn't have a chance. 

I'll happily take that nickname though :)

Back of Højbjerg's knee was bleeding. Lucky it was not worse.  Def a red. Appeal? Crazytown.

Also people asking what if Godfrey made that tackle? What are you going on about? A red is just a red.  Folks get them and the game moves on.  Holgate is another matter.  Head is not right and is just not good enough for us.  That does not change whether he made that tackle or not.

I think Holgate tries to come across as a bit of a hard man, which is completely unfitting for him. He's had a couple of decent spells of form since his arrival here and at one point looked as if he could develop into an important player for us. Unfortunately it's not quite worked out for him and I feel he is yet another player that doesn't have the right mentality to succeed for us. I think at the minute Mina and Keane are our best pairing at CB but Godfrey could develop into something special. I'd like to see us bring in a solid, experienced centre back. Something like Leicester did with Jonny Evans, or like we tried to do with Williams. We don't need anybody flashy in the current system. Someone to steady the ship.

I didn’t see the match as my stream was dead. But watching the highlights…….. it doesn’t look like a nasty challenge?

He goes into the tackle, and as he lunges forward his trailing leg slips forward in the mud and lifts his leading leg higher. 
A bad tackle and deserving of a red just for me. But it’s not the disgusting tackle many have made it out to be.

Unless he is actually that talented that he planned the slip into the tackle.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Matt said:

Such a shame he's not kicked on, had so much promise. I'd like to keep him as backup but if we can get a decent fee, then so long Mason. 

If we can get sold, then sell. We are quite bad a keeping hold of players that are not going to cut the mustard, get them moved on and we move on. We simply promote Branthwaithe and get him in the first team and bring in the next Branthwaithe. Show these top youngsters they will get in and around the first team if they prove themselves.