IGNORED

Mason Holgate

c1982

On 22/05/2022 at 23:29, Btay said:

I’d be happy to have him as back up but I’m not sure I see a player in there. He’s often rash and reckless with his tackling whilst also I think he lacks the real physicality required to be a good CB in this league.

I think it’s easy to forget that 3 seasons ago he was our best young player and there was real concern he was going to follow Stones to greener pastures. Injuries set him back and he hasn’t been the same. These last few games were encouraging. There is a player in there, or was. For me, I see enough that I’m willing to give him one more go. 

On 24/05/2022 at 18:18, Gwlad all over said:

Agree, Heath. He has had an up down Everton career, wasn't Koeman his first manager? He's improved under Lampard who I think has shown belief in him. He's 25 so I'm happy to stick with him.

He improved under Lampard when we switched back to very simple and protective football. 

When we tried to play the way Lampard wanted to, like the other CBs, he was found out again and again. 

I still dont really know what qualities make him a Premier League footballer for teams looking towards the top half of the table. I get that its questionable as to whether we are or not but I expect the goal will be top half and we certainly need to be looking at that type of player. 

The only reason I would keep him around is because he is relatively versatile and cheap. 

15 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

With a lot out of the door we need to keep some players who know the club. I have knocked Holgate but I think he has benefited from Lampard and his coaching staff so worth keeping.

This, and at present his value isn’t probably that great, if he can stop the rash tackles, and concentration lapses, he will be an asset either on the pitch or financially, a win win situation.

Personally I feel our Achilles heel has been our defence in the last few seasons, Ancelotti got fairly lucky that Mina nearly played a majority of the season which was a massive plus for his defensive plan. I can’t see any positivity in keeping Holgate, him Keane, Godfrey and Coleman have formed one of the worst defence's in the league for a few years, only good thing this season was the emergence of Mykolenko and a couple of decent games from Mina. For me Holgate goes with Mina Keane and Godfrey if the right offers come in and Coleman becomes a back up and mentor for the younger players. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Personally I feel our Achilles heel has been our defence in the last few seasons, Ancelotti got fairly lucky that Mina nearly played a majority of the season which was a massive plus for his defensive plan. I can’t see any positivity in keeping Holgate, him Keane, Godfrey and Coleman have formed one of the worst defence's in the league for a few years, only good thing this season was the emergence of Mykolenko and a couple of decent games from Mina. For me Holgate goes with Mina Keane and Godfrey if the right offers come in and Coleman becomes a back up and mentor for the younger players. 

I'd keep hold of Godfrey. He looked a world beater not so long back. He's young enough to get that back with the right coaching and supporting cast. His stock hit rock bottom with his gaffe against Burnley!! 

On 29/05/2022 at 13:36, Goodison Glory said:

I'd keep hold of Godfrey. He looked a world beater not so long back. He's young enough to get that back with the right coaching and supporting cast. His stock hit rock bottom with his gaffe against Burnley!! 

I think Godfrey suffered a bit this season with the effects of Covid and injury added to the chop change nature of the CB pairings we have been putting on the pitch - Given he played left back (even right back) a lot since he has been with the club and only really been filling in as CB to date, I don't think he has been given a prolonged run at a CB positioning.

Different different positions, different managers and different team set ups. Godfrey has had a confusing couple of years at Everton. I now think he needs a season as one of our starting CB.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Matt said:

If there's a choice between an over-paid, injury prone nice guy or a consisently average but frustrating player, I'd be selling the former. 

But is anyone really in for either? Feel like the West Ham thing is lazy journalism. 

Still, can't be picky if someone does surprisingly come in offering actual money for our lackluster players otherwise you have all our players just running down their contracts then leaving on a free.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I thought he did ok, but he got himself into a couple of really bad positions which he then managed to recover. On another day, he won't get away with it and that is generally the story with Holgate.

He was probably the best of the three yesterday day though.

Hopefully, with the other two alongside him, they can read and cover in those situations. I think Holgate, Coady and Tarkowski could become a really strong three. 

17 hours ago, StevO said:

Hopefully, with the other two alongside him, they can read and cover in those situations. I think Holgate, Coady and Tarkowski could become a really strong three. 

Agree but I think Holgate covered both Coady and Tarkwoski really well against Villa. Good to see and I hope he continues playing well.

21 hours ago, StevO said:

I can see them being strong when its backs to the walls, deep line and lots of cover.

They give me palpitations against a counter attack.