IGNORED

Mason Holgate

c1982

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I don't have a particular problem selling Holgate if price was right.

However, I am not overly keen on selling any player to any club in January who look like they might also be in the mix for a relegation fight this year. 

Good point the last thing we need to do is improve the teams around us. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Good point the last thing we need to do is improve the teams around us. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Id have thought that would be the reason to sell Holgate to them! 

Exactly. What have we seen from Holgate to think we’re improving a team close to us. I’d love to see us play Holgate in a starting XI, as long as we’re playing against them. 

To be fair Bailey, when he was fit… he was being picked consistently. 
No way would I pick him as a starter now. 

But no way would I be bringing Mina or Keane on before him either. They are both pants. While he is at least room to improve on his side. 
Its only opinions granted, but in mine he is above those two mentioned.

On 02/01/2023 at 02:12, Shukes said:

If we’re going to sell defenders then we should be looking at Mina and Keane first. Though granted…. No one else would be foolish enough to buy Mina, we might get a few quid for Keane still. 

Holgate is young and better than both.

There's no question of his ability. Personally, I think the bigger problem is attitude. He became too big for his boots instead of being hungry to win/keep his spot. That has to be part of the reason why we brought in Tarkowski and Coady.

5 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

There's no question of his ability. Personally, I think the bigger problem is attitude. He became too big for his boots instead of being hungry to win/keep his spot. That has to be part of the reason why we brought in Tarkowski and Coady.

This. He got a lot of criticism on here for the way he strutted around the pitch.

8 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

100% 

This is the reason I would keep him. His ability is above the other two, he has age on his side, and now has two better players in front of him who happen to be leaders and motivators.

Our problem is going to be that other sides are going to be interested in his situation and not really take the risk on Mina and Keane.

Ive asked the manager of the Barley Mow if he would take Mina on a free…

Fooking barred now.

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

To be fair Bailey, when he was fit… he was being picked consistently. 
No way would I pick him as a starter now. 

But no way would I be bringing Mina or Keane on before him either. They are both pants. While he is at least room to improve on his side. 
Its only opinions granted, but in mine he is above those two mentioned.

Only because Mina wasn't fit. 

Keane almost always started ahead of him.

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

There is a massive question over his ability!

• 4 months later...

He’s not a RB and definitely not a LB, if he was our only real option that says more about about our recruitment under DofF and other managers than it does him, in hindsight maybe a back 5 would have been a better option, but can’t really blame Holgate for playing awful in a position he shouldn’t be playing in. Yet he wouldn’t make our it in our central defence so is there any real point in keeping him here, he just isn’t good enough for this level. 

He needs to be somewhere playing every week now. That somewhere isn’t Everton. A lower premier league club with a strong manager and he could be a decent centre half. I think he would be excellent in the championship. 
Im pretty certain Branthwaite is already better than him, and Godfrey and probably Keane too. 

9 minutes ago, StevO said:

He needs to be somewhere playing every week now. That somewhere isn’t Everton. A lower premier league club with a strong manager and he could be a decent centre half. I think he would be excellent in the championship. 
Im pretty certain Branthwaite is already better than him, and Godfrey and probably Keane too. 

isn't that us currently?

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Erm, I mean, hmmmm, yeah, he can take his pick from any of the teams lower than his current one 😂😂

26 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Erm, I mean, hmmmm, yeah, he can take his pick from any of the teams lower than his current one 😂😂

I think he would have a chance at a lot of the teams around us. Not because he’s good, but because they are all so shite at the back.