IGNORED

Mason Holgate

c1982

1 minute ago, StevO said:

😂 Yeah, but I think we have better defenders than him already. I’d play Tarkowski, Keane, Mina and Godfrey all before him, and Branthwaite if he was here. 

This is exactly why I'm never bothered with Holgate. He can do a job as back up and with Mina leaving, he's a cheap and reasonably reliable squaddie. 

Just now, Matt said:

This is exactly why I'm never bothered with Holgate. He can do a job as back up and with Mina leaving, he's a cheap and reasonably reliable squaddie. 

I just don’t think we need him. If we started next season with Tarkowski and Branthwaite playing (hopefully) and Keane and Godfrey as back up I’d be happy. I’d still take Coady for the prices quoted a few months back if we can get some money in for Holgate and release Mina. 

I get the feeling after his reaction going off that he knows his time is up. He hasn't performed when given the chance, and it's not the first time.

I've never really liked his attitude, comes off very arrogant, but doesn't really have the skillset to match it.

Having said that, I don't wish him any ill. He's just not good enough to get in team. And considering the level we are at, that says a lot.

He's a Championship player, when he first signed I believed there was a lot of potential but he's just never reached the level that we (or anyone else in the league) needs. His attitude, whether on purpose or not comes off really poorly. It's one thing having arrogance with a bucket load of talent but it's another to simply be filled with self importance. He didn't look particularly arsed about coming off either and whilst I thought the boos were a bit over the top, I'd be happy knowing that today was the last I'll see of him in an Everton shirt. 

7 hours ago, StevO said:

He needs to be somewhere playing every week now. That somewhere isn’t Everton. A lower premier league club with a strong manager and he could be a decent centre half. I think he would be excellent in the championship. 
Im pretty certain Branthwaite is already better than him, and Godfrey and probably Keane too. 

Branthwaite has had a very good loan spell but let's not forget it's a weaker league. I'd like to see him perform in the prem. in his limited run outs, he had the odd cluster fuck in the prem like most of our defenders. Hopefully the consistent game time will have moved him up a level.

He’s an accident waiting to happen, over confident in his ability and arrogant. He’s playing in a league above his level, I just hope that he’s not playing for us wherever we end up next season. 
As for the booing, I don’t like to hear it, but many feel his mistake were key in loosing the game yesterday.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Another that I don’t think is anywhere near as bad as made out. And when people rate you like that, they look and judge you on every mistake you make.

Don't think he is good enough for us, but think he will have a decent career at this level.

I mostly agree, assuming he can sort his head out. His mental side of the game holds him back massively and probably why he hasn't had a decent career at this level, probably won't. Physically he should. 

21 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

He's a Championship player, when he first signed I believed there was a lot of potential but he's just never reached the level that we (or anyone else in the league) needs. His attitude, whether on purpose or not comes off really poorly. It's one thing having arrogance with a bucket load of talent but it's another to simply be filled with self importance. He didn't look particularly arsed about coming off either and whilst I thought the boos were a bit over the top, I'd be happy knowing that today was the last I'll see of him in an Everton shirt. 

They cut to him on the Tv and he had his shirt over his head - it looked like he knew it was last game for us to be honest mate 

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

Another that I don’t think is anywhere near as bad as made out. And when people rate you like that, they look and judge you on every mistake you make.

Don't think he is good enough for us, but think he will have a decent career at this level.

He was playing well as CB at the start of the season to be fair.

22 hours ago, Btay said:

They cut to him on the Tv and he had his shirt over his head - it looked like he knew it was last game for us to be honest mate 

I thought he looked quite upset on the bench. Felt sorry for him. 
He isn’t a full back, he has tried to do a job for the team (like he has in midfield on a couple of occasions) but he didn’t have a bad game on purpose. One thing I know for certain, booing him on the way off will not make him a better player but will only make him feel worse after he already feels bad about playing poorly (against one of the best teams we’ve ever seen). 

7 hours ago, RPG said:

I wonder what sort of mental state Holgate is in now. We may need him again v Wolves.

If Mykolenko is still injured then we have no real options for left back as Vinagre is also injured, as is Godfrey and Coady is ineligible as Wolves is his parent club.

So, as the best of a series of bad options, how about Holgate on the right of a back three with Mina and Tarkowski?

Pickford

Holgate Mina Tarkowski

Gueye

Patterson  Iwobi  Doucoure  Garner  McNeil

DCL

Considering we went to 3 at the back when Coady came on against City, this may actually be the way we go. Ergh! Please be fit, Myko.

6 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

They'll likely have Nunes on the RW. Another trickster...holgate will be mentally shot...doesn't seem the type to say "f*** it. I'll show you lot".

mind you Mina vs. Diego Costa should be shit housery of the highest order!! 

Has Costa actually been starting for them now?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bill said:

It’s Been reported he's being  played defensive mid in training,  a Dyche  masterstroke maybe.?

Getting some de ja vu here……. I recall making a strong point that centre half and defensive midfield have commonalities that make players transfer their skills which was met with opposition.

listening to stones talking about it the other day, starting at centre half and moving into DM is indeed a plausible solution. 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

Getting some de ja vu here……. I recall making a strong point that centre half and defensive midfield have commonalities that make players transfer their skills which was met with opposition.

listening to stones talking about it the other day, starting at centre half and moving into DM is indeed a plausible solution. 

It's plausible so long as the player with the right skills. John Stones displayed a level of composure and skill with the ball at his feet from day 1. Phil Jones would the antithesis. 

41 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

And look how that went! 😂