IGNORED

Mason Holgate

c1982

As much as I want rid of Holgate, I fear we might be light at the back if we don't bring in a CB. Sounds like we're going after a winger and CM now.

If Holgate leaves, we've got Godfrey, Branthwaite, Keane and Mina. On paper that looks sufficient, but Mina can't stay healthy, Branthwaite (who I'm very high on) doesn't have much first team experience, and Keane is a mess.

11 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

As much as I want rid of Holgate, I fear we might be light at the back if we don't bring in a CB. Sounds like we're going after a winger and CM now.

If Holgate leaves, we've got Godfrey, Branthwaite, Keane and Mina. On paper that looks sufficient, but Mina can't stay healthy, Branthwaite (who I'm very high on) doesn't have much first team experience, and Keane is a mess.

We would concede less goals playing no central defenders at the moment

10 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Dont forget Branthwaite is only just coming back from injury himself and he has only played 1 game at this level for approximately 18 months. I also got the impression from the Chelsea game that he will get overwhelmed at this level at the moment. 

Keane and Godfrey seem reliable fitness wise but they are a terrible combination and like you say Mina cannot stay fit. 

Ideally you would probably like to see Mina and Holgate get sold to allow us to buy 1 quality CB that will compliment Keane / Godfrey with Branthwaite waiting in the wings.

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Brighton want to sign him this window apparently, according to The Bobble.

I'd be happy with Branthwaite taking his spot in the pecking order, plus freeing up some funds for other players.

I hope the club are saying, Yes please, thank you very much. 

Was it under Silva when Holgate was being spoken about as a Man C target? It was certainly under Silva when we thought we had a ‘world class’ player in Gomes… maybe a possession based style manager will make some of the lads who we’ve (I include me in this) written off fulfil their potential.

Faultless today.

10 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Was it under Silva when Holgate was being spoken about as a Man C target? It was certainly under Silva when we thought we had a ‘world class’ player in Gomes… maybe a possession based style manager will make some of the lads who we’ve (I include me in this) written off fulfil their potential.

Faultless today.

He was absolutely superb today. Had a smile on his face too. Hopefully this is going to be a regular thing as he has talent..,.

***Based on my opinion***

5 minutes ago, MC11 said:

He was absolutely superb today. Had a smile on his face too. Hopefully this is going to be a regular thing as he has talent..,.

He played very well, now I want to see him do it again and again and again. He has the talent, it's just the temperament. Maybe with a younger manager, winner as a player he can help improve this.

11 hours ago, MC11 said:

He was, he showed what he is capable of for the first time in ages, some clever turns ( needs to keep a check on those though) won headers, tackles, and hoofed it when needed.

11 hours ago, London Blue said:

He played very well, now I want to see him do it again and again and again. He has the talent, it's just the temperament. Maybe with a younger manager, winner as a player he can help improve this.

Let’s hope that this is right, he did particularly well as he had to move from the right to the left after Godfrey went off, we didn’t loose our balance which I thought we might have done.

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

I wouldn’t get to excited just yet, if you scroll through his thread these conversations have been repeated numerous times after he’s had one or two decent games, then not long after he’s being criticised and needed to be sold. 

I agree, same applies to Gomes too. 

It was good to see, but we will invariably face much harder tests between now and the end of the season. I suspect the league match will be much closer too.

I can't believe I allowed myself to be lulled into the feeling that maybe this was finally the chance for Holgate to be the player we thought he could be.

Looked good on Saturday, looked like normal Holgate tonight. I would say it's an overreaction, but we've just seen it too many fucking times.

Get rid. 

We definitely have a problem at CB:

1. Mina can't stay fit

2. Holgate is very inconsistent

3. Keane has average ability and athleticism; it helps to be at be solid in at least one of those categories. 

4. That leaves Godfrey (still pretty raw and FB cover?) and Branthwaite (raw and inexperienced). 

• 3 weeks later...