IGNORED

Mason Holgate

c1982

• 1 month later...

Holgate pissed me off before a ball was kicked as he was dicking about in the warm-up, the stuff that you'd see 8 year olds do on a Sunday League session. 

He showed a lot of promise since coming from Barnsley, but he's just shit now and is too arrogant to see the error of his ways. His cameo today consisted of giving the ball away twice and flying into the Spurs lad to get sent off - when he was booked I joked to those around me whether we could just take the red and lo and behold VAR gets in the referees ear. 

Would happily ship him out in January, but don't think anyone would take him.

38 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Holgate pissed me off before a ball was kicked as he was dicking about in the warm-up, the stuff that you'd see 8 year olds do on a Sunday League session. 

He showed a lot of promise since coming from Barnsley, but he's just shit now and is too arrogant to see the error of his ways. His cameo today consisted of giving the ball away twice and flying into the Spurs lad to get sent off - when he was booked I joked to those around me whether we could just take the red and lo and behold VAR gets in the referees ear. 

Would happily ship him out in January, but don't think anyone would take him.

I’ve seen him playing the idiot during warmup  every week, he’s like the class clown. Time to move him on I’d rather see one of the youngsters come through if there’s no money to replace him.

The tackle was all on him but Rafa threw him under the bus a little in that game. He doesn't have the skills to play in midfield in a game where we don't camp on our own 18 yard box. 

He was getting caught out on almost every touch, gifted them a good counter attacking opportunity and then went ahead and did that. 

Says a lot about Gbamin again though.

48 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The tackle was all on him but Rafa threw him under the bus a little in that game. He doesn't have the skills to play in midfield in a game where we don't camp on our own 18 yard box. 

He was getting caught out on almost every touch, gifted them a good counter attacking opportunity and then went ahead and did that. 

Says a lot about Gbamin again though.

Says more about the depth of our squad than the manager or any player he has at his disposal, we are constantly playing poor players out of position, do you believe that by choice or circumstances?

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Says more about the depth of our squad than the manager or any player he has at his disposal, we are constantly playing poor players out of position, do you believe that by choice or circumstances?

I didn't see that Allan needed to come off when he did. I also thought Delph may have been hooked a little early but I don't have the data.

I thought it was a red to be honest. He followed through after he won the ball, was high and studs showing. Also it came moments after Hojberg took the ball off him in the middle of the pitch which allowed Spurs to counter, I think that’s where the intent came from. 

Although I watched the West Ham game and Cresswells was identical and went unpunished 🤷🏻‍♂️

14 hours ago, StevO said:

Having seen the replay a few times now I don’t think it’s a red card. It’s a strong tackle, but I think there were plenty worse in that game. 
That said, I don’t want him in midfield ever again. And how shit must Gbamin be for Rafa to think Holgate was the better option. 

I thought he'd just lost his fitting and slipped after kicking the ball in which case I felt it was a bit harsh as a red.

If you're saying he deliberately played that as a challenge then it's definitely a red!  There wasn't even a ball to challenge for as he'd already kicked it!

3 hours ago, FairWooney said:

I thought he'd just lost his fitting and slipped after kicking the ball in which case I felt it was a bit harsh as a red.

If you're saying he deliberately played that as a challenge then it's definitely a red!  There wasn't even a ball to challenge for as he'd already kicked it!

I don’t think after making contact with a ball he can get his leg out of the way. It happens all the time and not always a red. Only my opinion anyway. 

Watched this a few times....... Let's just say I'm glad I have a dislike for the lad as I'm able to judge this in the exact way that I would if it happened to one of our players.  It was a shocker.  

There was no momentum that made this contact necessary...... He could have left his left leg out of it but he didn't.... He actually lifted it and stabbed it in his leg.

Hojiberg is very lucky his knee wasn't facing the impact and could fold. 

What of it was doucs or Allan?   I'd be pissed off with them as I would expect better..... Thing is I expect it from holgate. 

19 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Watched this a few times....... Let's just say I'm glad I have a dislike for the lad as I'm able to judge this in the exact way that I would if it happened to one of our players.  It was a shocker.  

There was no momentum that made this contact necessary...... He could have left his left leg out of it but he didn't.... He actually lifted it and stabbed it in his leg.

Hojiberg is very lucky his knee wasn't facing the impact and could fold. 

What of it was doucs or Allan?   I'd be pissed off with them as I would expect better..... Thing is I expect it from holgate. 

Hang on... you're glad you're biased against him so you can lambast him?

I see a follow through after belting the ball clear. Physics means he can't just stop his leg going through the shot. It's a nasty injury as a result but, what was his alternative, don't kick the ball? It's a yellow all day long but never a red. Although I've thought that for some of the other reds too where there's been a follow through 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

I see a follow through after belting the ball clear. Physics means he can't just stop his leg going through the shot. It's a nasty injury as a result but, what was his alternative, don't kick the ball? It's a yellow all day long but never a red. Although I've thought that for some of the other reds too where there's been a follow through 

You don't have to kick a ball that way to clear it. He didn't even need to go off his feet. He could have easily kicked the ball and not gone into Hojberg. It was a cowards challenge and he deserved the red and the ban that follows.

Conversely I think the Cresswell decision was probably right. The difference in that challenge is that Cresswell wins the ball, but is high on the ball and that is what causes him to get into that dangerous position. I think Cresswell was going in hard but fair to win the ball but then it looks worse because of the position that contact with the ball puts him in. I am not sure he needed to go off his feet either, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt because of the weird contact with the ball.

8 minutes ago, Bailey said:

You don't have to kick a ball that way to clear it. He didn't even need to go off his feet. He could have easily kicked the ball and not gone into Hojberg. It was a cowards challenge and he deserved the red and the ban that follows.

That's my thinking also, from the first time I saw it, and nothing since has led me to change my opinion.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Hang on... you're glad you're biased against him so you can lambast him?

I'm glad that my favouring of a player doesn't distort my judgement..... Switched it the other way.

Ive played footy for years and tried all-sorts of things to lay one on a player.

It wasn't an unavoidable follow through and his reaction to the red card showed that.  Was a terrible tackle.   

1 hour ago, StevO said:

It would be interesting to see if everyone’s opinion was the same if it was Godfrey who made the tackle instead of Holgate. 

It wasn’t the tackle, it was the follow through into the player, if Godfrey had done it he would get criticized for it too, as would any Everton player.

But also it’s not just about this isolated red card. In Holgate’s case It’s latest incident in a string of gutless performances over a couple of seasons, which betray a stinking attitude.