IGNORED

Tom Davies

Just watched Tom's story on Instagram, and even though it's very well-known how well he and DCL get along, I'm wondering if their relationship has played a part in both of their successes this season. These two are genuinely best friends, and that extends beyond Goodison and Finch Farm. You can't underestimate how important that is, to have someone like that playing with you day in and day out. 

Regardless of his potential improvement into a bonafide team member - and not as a cover for a miss firing or can't be arsed misfit.... Davies will be slagged off by some regardless of what he does 

It's the same with Pickford, Keane, DCL .... Because someone makes a decision that they "are shit" 3 years ago - they can't be fluid with their opinions.

Players can improve their games if they have the right mindset.   I'm not saying Davies will become a 11km 25kph running machine like Doucoure who can bounce players off the ball or DCL will suddenly start hitting 30 yarders.  As long as a player can control a ball, pass a ball and have a good brain they can become a valuable team member.

Preferably, I'd like to see players have athleticism.  Show me 2 midfields of equal football ability - the athletes will win. 

Made up for Tom,  he's got a great mindset. Similar to Keane, DCL... He's got himself in a great player. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Regardless of his potential improvement into a bonafide team member - and not as a cover for a miss firing or can't be arsed misfit.... Davies will be slagged off by some regardless of what he does 

It's the same with Pickford, Keane, DCL .... Because someone makes a decision that they "are shit" 3 years ago - they can't be fluid with their opinions.

I would like to think that most people are able recognise and appreciate an improvement in both a players quality and consistency when they put the club shirt on - an praise when its due.  I would like to think blinkered thinking is very much in the minority. 

On 20/02/2021 at 20:29, Palfy said:

He did it again a couple of times today and won the ball each time, he is one of our most improved and important players this season, can’t begin to imagine where we would be if he wasn’t here for Allans long injury, who else in the team would good enough to do what he’s done. 

The best one he did in that game was when he missed the ball completely but brought the man down.

I think he has played much better than before but his defensive work still leaves a lot to be desired and he gave away the ball in his own half a few times too. Despite that he was still our best midfielder on Saturday but that says more about the performance of the other two.

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I would like to think that most people are able recognise and appreciate an improvement in both a players quality and consistency when they put the club shirt on - an praise when its due.  I would like to think blinkered thinking is very much in the minority. 

Unfortunately not in my experience. 

12 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The best one he did in that game was when he missed the ball completely but brought the man down.

I think he has played much better than before but his defensive work still leaves a lot to be desired and he gave away the ball in his own half a few times too. Despite that he was still our best midfielder on Saturday but that says more about the performance of the other two.

His performance on Saturday was as good as anything the other two have done on their best days. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

8 ball recoveries and 5 tackles won. 27 passes at 70%

Doucoure made 2 tackles against man city, 33 passes at 69%

I’m happy with that 👍 But everyone will see things slightly and in some cases completely different, for me he was the most consistent mid out there and has been the last 3 games. 

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Davies will be slagged off by some regardless of what he does 

That’s spot on and it infuriates me that it happens, I get we all have our favourites and some players don’t suit our eye, but we need an equal playing field when critiquing players and try to not show double standards where possible. 

Ancelotti is doing a cracking job but I'd not credit him for their development. The year before Marco Silva came to the club, Davies and Barry were our best midfield duo, and DCL was our best striker.

Silva didn't try and develop any youngsters. Yet fans gave him a good rimming purely because he's not fat Sam, put trust in his decisions and turned on our young players. 

Ferguson put his trust in them before Ancelotti come in. Even fat Sam did. Koeman too. 

Main thing Ancelotti has done for Dom is tell him to stay around the six yard box, hardly rocket science.

For Davies, he's done the same as the previous managers only bringing him in through injury. First 13 games this season he only played once, Brighton game that Allan missed through injury. Then only came into the fold properly following Allan's injury. 

Although it does look like Ancelotti has got the balls to keep him in rather than drop him for a senior player. Davies positioning and passing have always been top notch, his main issue has been the players next to him. He looked like he had the world at his feet next to Barry, and is now shining next to Doucoure. 

Is anybody going to have a perfect match? - Its easy very to nit pick at individual incidents whether it be good or bad moments.  Also have to remember that in the Premiership week in week out you are playing quality opposition players, the simply truth is they are going to get the better of you on some occasions.

Personally, I love nothing more that eating my words when a player I may have criticized in the past starts putting in performances (especially if they are regular) that are worthy of the blue shirt. It's great when I am proved wrong!!! 

The fact that Davies has been voted as MotM in 4 of the last 5 games by our learned selves as a collective, tells me the vast majority of us think he's generally been our most inform player over this past month - so he fully deserves the plaudits that go with it. 

3 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Is anybody going to have a perfect match? - Its easy very to nit pick at individual incidents whether it be good or bad moments.  Also have to remember that in the Premiership week in week out you are playing quality opposition players, the simply truth is they are going to get the better of you on some occasions.

Personally, I love nothing more that eating my words when a player I may have criticized in the past starts putting in performances (especially if they are regular) that are worthy of the blue shirt. It's great when I am proved wrong!!! 

The fact that Davies has been voted as MotM in 4 of the last 5 games by our learned selves as a collective, tells me the vast majority of us think he's generally been our most inform player over this past month - so he fully deserves the plaudits that go with it. 

There’s nothing wrong with criticism as long as it is justified and based on what you witnessed, but I agree with you that we should be able to praise players for playing well even if we have criticised them on numerous occasions in the past, I wouldn’t say it’s eating your words Rob if at the time you gave an honest opinion, but what you have shown is that you haven’t allowed that to completely cloud your judgment and are prepared to forget that and acknowledge and praise when they have played well. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

There’s nothing wrong with criticism as long as it is justified and based on what you witnessed, but I agree with you that we should be able to praise players for playing well even if we have criticised them on numerous occasions in the past, I wouldn’t say it’s eating your words Rob if at the time you gave an honest opinion, but what you have shown is that you haven’t allowed that to completely cloud your judgment and are prepared to forget that and acknowledge and praise when they have played well. 

I’ve just given praise to big Mick Keane on his thread, used to cringe when his name came of the team sheet a couple of seasons ago, not now.

5 hours ago, Btay said:

I think if he comes in for Gomes & James in for Gylfi - that’s just about our strongest 11

I think a fully firing Gomes (he looked to be getting there until he missed a game with a niggle and has regressed again) plays ahead of him in a lot of games but I would think they'll probably rotate.

Definitely agree on James ahead of Gyfli though.

21 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think a fully firing Gomes (he looked to be getting there until he missed a game with a niggle and has regressed again) plays ahead of him in a lot of games but I would think they'll probably rotate.

Definitely agree on James ahead of Gyfli though.

Big Gomes fan but I’ve been ultimately disappointed by him this year. On potential ability and talent I think he rates the highest of our midfielders. No issues with Gomes in the squad but we really need him to recapture that form in which he single handedly controlled the midfield.

35 minutes ago, Btay said:

Big Gomes fan but I’ve been ultimately disappointed by him this year. On potential ability and talent I think he rates the highest of our midfielders. No issues with Gomes in the squad but we really need him to recapture that form in which he single handedly controlled the midfield.

I don't think there'll be an Everton fan that isn't disappointed with him this year. And your second point is why I said a fully firing Gomes is ahead of Davies in most games.