IGNORED

Djibril Sidibé

Playing devils advocate here... Was it such a brilliant ball?

He had all the time in the world to pick the pass, DCL was more or less unmarked (and Kean behind had space too) and it took a great diving header from DCL to make the most of it. I would be hugely disappointed if a Premier League footballer couldn't put that ball into an area for one those two strikers to score.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

He had all the time in the world to pick the pass, DCL was more or less unmarked (and Kean behind had space too) and it took a great diving header from DCL to make the most of it. I would be hugely disappointed if a Premier League footballer couldn't put that ball into an area for one those two strikers to score.

You must be very upset with Digne then. 

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

Yes it was a great ball only u and Pete thought it wasn’t 

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Yes it was a great ball only u and Pete thought it wasn’t 

Watch it back, there is noone near either of them. He still has to go and do it, and by all accounts he played well, so I'm not trying to knock the lad but I just don't agree that it was as good as is being made out.

Thought he was poor today as well. He let so many balls come in from that right hand side. I would lay some of the blame on Walcott though as they don't seem to play well together.

I must agree Sidibe is not very solid as a defender, but he's immense going forward. His crossing ability is one of the best in our squad and today he proved that he's very creative outlet out wide. While his chemistry with Walcott wasn't great he made some very exiting passes going through a bunch of Newcastle players into space behind them, only if Walcott could read his intentions quicker. Perhaps he'll be more successful as a so-called wing back in a formation with 3 defenders where he'll get more help from our defenders, as seen against Burnley with Coleman at his back. Definitely want him to stay at Everton.

27 minutes ago, barryj said:

Lucky not to have cost us two points today with a pointless push on Carroll. If he sharpens up defending we’ll have ourselves a great player. Some of his forward passing exceptional. 

Yeah, he got away with that but that’s one mistake. He has been very consistent so far in a positive way. If Carroll hadnt been flopping like a fish out of water with every touch he probably would’ve got the decision 

7 hours ago, barryj said:

Lucky not to have cost us two points today with a pointless push on Carroll. If he sharpens up defending we’ll have ourselves a great player. Some of his forward passing exceptional. 

Ye he had a bad day yesterday. Seems to b bullied out of the game. He’s a very hot and cold player it seems. One game he’s very good, next he’s very poor.

I like Sidibe. He’s found his place in the side, has got better and better and is becoming an important part of the team. For me he’s a starter now on the right of midfield. Just keep working the right and whipping those balls in, he’s a good enough defender to cover Seamus, not good enough to actually play at right back. If we could get him for 7-9 mil, that’s a bargain if he can maintain this form. He’s only 27 - he looks a lot older than that.

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

Ye he had a bad day yesterday. Seems to b bullied out of the game. He’s a very hot and cold player it seems. One game he’s very good, next he’s very poor.

More like one game he's poor, the next game he's still poor but gets an assist so no one cares. 

6 hours ago, badaids said:

For me he’s a starter now on the right of midfield. Just keep working the right and whipping those balls in, he’s a good enough defender to cover Seamus, not good enough to actually play at right back.

This seems to me the sensible way to look at his play, potential, strength, and weakness.  He makes too many mistakes as defender, but has provided a solid number of fine crosses.  Honestly, he might not have the stamina to run the touchline the full 90 every match, and I’d worry about his backtracking after 75 minutes.  I’m no Walcott fan, but 15-20 minutes, ok.  Or put Davies over there late in matches occasionally.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

As there been a game when any defender hasn’t let a cross come in or been done, I very much doubt it. 

Why I put the too easily at the end. He's not Michael Keane comical bad but he should be doing better. Him and Walcott got rinsed for for the goal ruled out for offside. Walcott is done by quick feet whereas Sidibe sells himself. 

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

Walcott isn’t a defender. You could pick holes in every instance of every player where he gets beat or misplaces a pass. Just think people just have their favourites they want to pick on 

I agree. I think once you’ve formed an opinion you look to back it (or see their strengths / weaknesses) rather than see the rounded appearance. My initial opinion is that Sidibe wasn’t good enough defensively and I saw this first hand as for one half a game he’s only yards away from me and I believe his positioning is questionable. I won’t go into this again. However, in recent weeks I’ve tried to be more balanced in my viewing of his performance and my posts on here. On Walcott (although not his thread) I thought he had an ok game. Looked dangerous but end product was lacking.