IGNORED

Djibril Sidibé

35 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He is one of the best Right Backs in the German league, he has 4 assists in a team chasing champs league football. He is an Everton fan, loves the club, don't you think he deserves a chance to show what he can do under Carlo?

Haven't seen a single game of Schalke this season but have heard lots that he's really well thought of. Definitely deserves a go in the squad when he gets back but if all fails for him at least we can demand a reasonable fee for him in the future. 

36 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He is one of the best Right Backs in the German league, he has 4 assists in a team chasing champs league football. He is an Everton fan, loves the club, don't you think he deserves a chance to show what he can do under Carlo?

The only thing I have issue with in any of that is him being an Everton fan and loving the club. It’s not a reason to give him a go. It’s the same kind of thing that always linked us with David Nugent and Lee Trundle. 

I want players who are great footballers first and foremost, and if they love the club then it’s just an added bonus. 

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

I think he’s had 4 assists this season from crossing don’t take my word for it because I can’t be arsed to check, but if right that is a cracking return. 

I would rather go off cross completion and accuracy to be honest mate.

Said loads of times. If I cross a ball that beats every defender and the goalkeeper and stops on the line right at your feet... and you miss (which you probably would) I do t get an assist.

But I cross to DCL and completely fluff it, so badly that it smacks Richarlison in the face and goes in, I get an assist.

Its the same with assists vs chances created. Chances created shows how creative a player is, while assists is dependant on the forwards. Pickford has assists this season, but isn’t known for his wing play, or creativeness.

Bit I do admit he has put some corkers in. But I think he is far from Jerry type crossing.

6 hours ago, Shukes said:

I would rather go off cross completion and accuracy to be honest mate.

Said loads of times. If I cross a ball that beats every defender and the goalkeeper and stops on the line right at your feet... and you miss (which you probably would) I do t get an assist.

But I cross to DCL and completely fluff it, so badly that it smacks Richarlison in the face and goes in, I get an assist.

Its the same with assists vs chances created. Chances created shows how creative a player is, while assists is dependant on the forwards. Pickford has assists this season, but isn’t known for his wing play, or creativeness.

Bit I do admit he has put some corkers in. But I think he is far from Jerry type crossing.

Hopefully I can help you dear chap.

The following is based on playing right back when starting games this season:

Sidibe

Expected goals per 90 0.01

Expected assists per 90 0.14 

Key Passes per 90 mins 0.82

Coleman

Expected goals per 90 0.07

Expected assists per 90 0.13

Key passes per 90 mins 0.57

Kenny (Shalke)

XG90 = 0.03

XA90 = 0.05

KP90 = 0.58

FWIW it was a worse for Kenny last season with us. 

I would say that both Kenny and Coleman are far superior defenders to Sidibe. We might get negligible gains in attacking terms from Sidibe but we lose a lot defensively.

Despite Kenny being "amazing" over at Schalke, purely from a stats perspective he has still been distinctly average.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Hopefully I can help you dear chap.

The following is based on playing right back when starting games this season:

Sidibe

Expected goals per 90 0.01

Expected assists per 90 0.14 

Key Passes per 90 mins 0.82

Coleman

Expected goals per 90 0.07

Expected assists per 90 0.13

Key passes per 90 mins 0.57

Kenny (Shalke)

XG90 = 0.03

XA90 = 0.05

KP90 = 0.58

FWIW it was a worse for Kenny last season with us. 

I would say that both Kenny and Coleman are far superior defenders to Sidibe. We might get negligible gains in attacking terms from Sidibe but we lose a lot defensively.

Despite Kenny being "amazing" over at Schalke, purely from a stats perspective he has still been distinctly average.

This is what I expected to be honest. 
I do wonder about Kenny. I think most his assists came in the very first ten matches as well. He seems to have dipped a bit in his second half, though he was injured.

Those stats suggest Sidibe is no better than Coleman when it comes to offensive play. 
Are we all hanging on to his few moments and seeing this as the norm?

Here’s my take on him, he’s classed as a full back, his defending is woeful, every team have identified this and ping cross field balls in to the space he leaves as he comes inside too much. He has put some decent cross in, but isn’t that what a winger is for? Let’s have a defender who can defend, plus put some decent balls in the box, with a winger who can put crosses in and also score a few,  or try and shoehorn one or the other into a semi decent fit.

2 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

He has put some decent cross in,

When it comes off. Which is less likely now as every team knows what he's gonna do. Many an attack has been stunted by him whacking in that early cross when he'd have been better off passing it or carrying it a bit longer to give players more time to get in the box. 

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

This is what I expected to be honest. 
I do wonder about Kenny. I think most his assists came in the very first ten matches as well. He seems to have dipped a bit in his second half, though he was injured.

Those stats suggest Sidibe is no better than Coleman when it comes to offensive play. 
Are we all hanging on to his few moments and seeing this as the norm?

I do think Sidibe is the best crosser of the ball but I have seen nothing from him to suggest it's an above average skill. I seem to remember a couple from the weekend he ballooned. If he gets time and space he can put it on the money, but most professionals should get pretty close. 

Coleman tends to get to the byline a lot more which I prefer. The problem for him now is his age. He can't do that for 90 minutes any longer, so we need someone. I think Kenny is more in that mould but Im not sure he is good enough at this level from what I have seen. 

On 25/02/2020 at 19:31, Wiggytop said:

Here’s my take on him, he’s classed as a full back, his defending is woeful, every team have identified this and ping cross field balls in to the space he leaves as he comes inside too much. He has put some decent cross in, but isn’t that what a winger is for? Let’s have a defender who can defend, plus put some decent balls in the box, with a winger who can put crosses in and also score a few,  or try and shoehorn one or the other into a semi decent fit.

Been saying this all along. Never been impressed and I think even the early Sidibe admirers are coming around to seeing his defensive frailties rather than latching onto the one or two very good passes / crosses a game. 

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'll be interested to see if Carlo and Brands activate the buyout clause or not, i think at this point that will say it all.  I'm guessing they don't.

I don’t think they will unless we can buy and sell immediately and make a few quid. 

If we don’t buy him then the die hard dislikers can feel justified in their criticism of him, but if we do buy him they should admit they were wrong about him, unless of course they consider themselves a better judge of a player than Ancelotti and his staff. 
Now I know managers buy players and they come here and bomb, god knows we’ve had more like that in the last 4 years than have been successes.
But if they buy Sidibe there not taking the same gamble, they’ve  watched him play and seen him in training for a season. 
So It’s going to be very interesting come the end of the season which way this one goes. 
Personally my heart says keep him because of his work rate, but my head says don’t buy because technically he isn’t quite good enough, but if we keep I’ll be the first to say I wasn’t right Ancelotti knows more than me. 

Guys we need to get rid of this trying to prove each other wrong. It doesn’t matter which one of us guessed right.. Everton is all that matters.

I don't rate him at all. If we buy him..... I still won’t rate him. I will see it as it could have been a hundred reasons for buying him:

cheap (for a reason)

doesn't rock the boat.

squad filler.

future potential?

Now if we do end up letting him go, then I was right all along and all you World Cup medal fanboys can admit you were wrong!

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

Guys we need to get rid of this trying to prove each other wrong. It doesn’t matter which one of us guessed right.. Everton is all that matters.

I don't rate him at all. If we buy him..... I still won’t rate him. I will see it as it could have been a hundred reasons for buying him:

cheap (for a reason)

doesn't rock the boat.

squad filler.

future potential?

Now if we do end up letting him go, then I was right all along and all you World Cup medal fanboys can admit you were wrong!

And if we do keep you will be so wrong.

Cheap for a reason brings someone else to mind, or are you a one rule for one and another rule for others sort of person, basically inconsistent in your views😉

He actually made a very good goal saving tackle today. 
It’s just having him on the pitch means teams start 1-0 up.

When you hear the commentators say ‘He battles, tries, and is always willing, it’s just when he’s on the ball it lets him down’ ... then you know there’s an issue. 

17 minutes ago, Shukes said:

When you hear the commentators say ‘He battles, tries, and is always willing, it’s just when he’s on the ball it lets him down’ ... then you know there’s an issue. 

If that had been Willian or Pedro he wouldn't have had the chance to make the tackle. The young lad took an age. 

At least he did contribute something positive to the game though!

I said it in an earlier post I wouldn’t buy him because of his lack of ability with the ball, but you can’t fault his work rate and he does make some good challenges. 
For me I liken him to Gana for all the good work he does winning the ball, that then becomes in significant when he keeps giving it away in dangerous areas. 
For me we need players that can play as well as fight. 

8 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I said it in an earlier post I wouldn’t buy him because of his lack of ability with the ball, but you can’t fault his work rate and he does make some good challenges. 
For me I liken him to Gana for all the good work he does winning the ball, that then becomes in significant when he keeps giving it away in dangerous areas. 

I'd have fantastic work rate if I played for Everton, it's not an attribute that alone should place one player above another as it's a trait that can be switched on or off depending on the environment that that player is playing in. 

Under Ancelotti, Sidibe's work rate is great however I'm sure that would change if we were playing in League Two under a part-time manager on work experience. Whoever we sign should have good work rate, so I wouldn't use it as an indicator on whether we should sign Djibril on a permanent basis. 

For what it's worth I wouldn't, he's shown occasional brilliance but is unbelievably prone to losing his runner, the bread and butter for any defender and sloppy with the ball at his feet. Overall not good enough for an elite Premier League side which is what we want to be - the money that we would spend to sign him should be used to tie down someone with the ability to improve us. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Exactly.

23 minutes ago, Palfy said:

If he was half the player Gana was I would sign him tomorrow, sadly he isn’t fit to lace his boots so I would pass on the option of signing him and take a chance on Jonjoe 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

You’ve been starting to make sense recently... then you go and ruin it all haha.

37 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

If he was half the player Gana was I would sign him tomorrow, sadly he isn’t fit to lace his boots so I would pass on the option of signing him and take a chance on Jonjoe 

Think PeteO broke into Palfys account again.

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think we need a top quality first choice right back signing and have Seamus as a more than capable back-up/ competition. I don’t see Kenny as being good enough and think we’d be wise to sell while his stock is ‘high’. We’d probably get £15-20m for him. Don’t sign Sidibe saving £14m and move early for Max Aarons at Norwich (maybe £30m), who has really impressed me and has a quality that our back line is desperately short of - PACE!

54 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I think we need a top quality first choice right back signing and have Seamus as a more than capable back-up/ competition. I don’t see Kenny as being good enough and think we’d be wise to sell while his stock is ‘high’. We’d probably get £15-20m for him. Don’t sign Sidibe saving £14m and move early for Max Aarons at Norwich (maybe £30m), who has really impressed me and has a quality that our back line is desperately short of - PACE!

Not a bad shout, although I’ve not given up on Kenny 👍🏻