IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I disagree... this was awful!

6FD2E1FE-0A46-4664-A489-18C1EF23B54C.jpeg

When you see it from that angle it’s an absolutely unbelievably disgusting miss.

Apologies for the over the top reaction but let’s be honest you can’t get much poorer than that, 

Yet I still feel for him because his attitude and work rate deserve better than that. 

8 minutes ago, Palfy said:

When you see it from that angle it’s an absolutely unbelievably disgusting miss.

Apologies for the over the top reaction but let’s be honest you can’t get much poorer than that, 

Yet I still feel for him because his attitude and work rate deserve better than that. 

I know what you mean. He’s a really likeable lad, I’d love him to be the striker we need but I don’t think he ever will be. 

I’ve previously had the opinion that Calvert-Lewin is getting enough game time and opportunities here but watching Abraham (someone who Dom has been ahead of or at least equal to at England  youth level) it shows what a loan at a decent club in the Championship could have done for him. I still don’t feel we had the luxury of being in the position to loan him out and don’t feel we could have this summer but looking at the bigger picture, we should have made sure we had the players to accommodate this. He would get in the Leeds team who will probably run away with the Championship this season - he’d have probably bagged 20+ too... it’s all hypothetical but good loans at a lower level can be as important as first team opportunities here. Still having Niasse, Sandro, Bolasie, Mirallas and Tosun probably prevented the chance of strengthening the forward line any further to allow the luxury of loaning out Dom.

5 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Don't mention Palace....win at OT and we can't at least draw at newly promoted Villa.

Why do we always struggle against newly promoted teams in 1st Month. Remember Wigan did us one year, there were others too

10 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Only proper chance we've created so far. Harry Kane gets three on a plate most games and misses two of them yet no one says anything as he scored the other one. 

I'm more worried about the lack of decent opportunities we create than DCL missing one.  

Not entirely true...

Here’s some random goals/shots conversion percentages from last season:

Kane 17/102 17%

DCL 6/52 12%

Salah 22/137 16%

Aguero 21/118 18%

Lukaku 12/55 22%

Vardy 17/79 22%

Kane missed 11 ‘big chances’ and Calvert-Lewin missed 7.

10 hours ago, Matt said:

I’m not sure how many times I have to repeat myself - he should’ve placed it better (I.e. the left corner since middle and right we’re blocked, not close to half the goal being empty) but it is not a sitter. Not sure how complicated that is? :dontknow:

Matt what u reckon now?

16 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I’ve previously had the opinion that Calvert-Lewin is getting enough game time and opportunities here but watching Abraham (someone who Dom has been ahead of or at least equal to at England  youth level) it shows what a loan at a decent club in the Championship could have done for him. I still don’t feel we had the luxury of being in the position to loan him out and don’t feel we could have this summer but looking at the bigger picture, we should have made sure we had the players to accommodate this. He would get in the Leeds team who will probably run away with the Championship this season - he’d have probably bagged 20+ too... it’s all hypothetical but good loans at a lower level can be as important as first team opportunities here. Still having Niasse, Sandro, Bolasie, Mirallas and Tosun probably prevented the chance of strengthening the forward line any further to allow the luxury of loaning out Dom.

Good comparison with Abraham’s a player who’s self believe allowed him to score 2 cracking goals today, let’s be honest I don’t think DCL would have taken those shots on due to lack of belief and confidence. 

42 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I said that last night and got slaughtered for it. All he has to do is find the corner 

20 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Only proper chance we've created so far. Harry Kane gets three on a plate most games and misses two of them yet no one says anything as he scored the other one. 

I'm more worried about the lack of decent opportunities we create than DCL missing one.  

Harry Kane gets three on a plate most games and misses two of them?  I must be watching a different player 

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Good comparison with Abraham’s a player who’s self believe allowed him to score 2 cracking goals today, let’s be honest I don’t think DCL would have taken those shots on due to lack of belief and confidence. 

Exactly - he doesn’t take enough shots. See the stats I’ve just posted - he needs to back himself more... if you don’t buy a ticket blah, blah, blah!

7 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Exactly - he doesn’t take enough shots. See the stats I’ve just posted - he needs to back himself more... if you don’t buy a ticket blah, blah, blah!

How's he meant to have shots when we don't even get the ball to him near the area. 

10 minutes ago, pete0 said:

How's he meant to have shots when we don't even get the ball to him near the area. 

Erm did you not see his miss? Pretty sure that was a cross into him. He’s not there to  just wait in the six yard box. A striker is supposed to be able to create for himself also. Name me one situation DCl has done  something on his own and created for himself and scored? 

9 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Erm did you not see his miss? Pretty sure that was a cross into him. He’s not there to  just wait in the six yard box. A striker is supposed to be able to create for himself also. Name me one situation DCl has done  something on his own and created for himself and scored? 

So far he's only had two shots this season. Yea he should have scored that last one but it's not like we're giving him much opportunity to make up for it in the game like most strikers would. If he missing chance after chance I'd criticise him more but atm I think he's unfairly the whipping boy. 

The way we play isn't set up for him to create chances for himself. We play largely down the wings and for the most part it's not working. We should be looking at the midfielders for not creating enough and the manager for his tactics before a striker for missing the only proper chance we've created in three games. 

He’s been given the number 9 shirt and had a run of what 12 games? I’m not making him the whipping boy. Gilfi has been just as bad in his own position. I’m merely saying that he is a striker that should be able to create for himself. And the fact that you have pointed out in three games he’s had two shots speaks volumes. He doesn’t believe in himself. If I take that open goal he missed last night. That’s one shot. Top six must be shitting it 

11 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

He’s been given the number 9 shirt and had a run of what 12 games? I’m not making him the whipping boy. Gilfi has been just as bad in his own position. I’m merely saying that he is a striker that should be able to create for himself. And the fact that you have pointed out in three games he’s had two shots speaks volumes. He doesn’t believe in himself. If I take that open goal he missed last night. That’s one shot. Top six must be shitting it 

How can he create for himself when he rarely gets given the ball near the box. He's only had 2 shots as the midfield aren't doing enough. You can't expect him to pick up the ball on the half way line and take on half the team. 

I think that’s a fair question to ask in the light of the new angle which none of us had seen before, I watched it on Sky and they never showed it from behind and you can clearly see he has more than half the goal to hit on his left but instead plays it into a crowd of players on his right. 

A lot different from what some thought including Matt who obviously hadn’t seen it from that angle or he wouldn’t have said what he said at the time, one would like to think. 

So I see nothing wrong in asking someone in the light of new evidence if they now have a different opinion. 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

How can he create for himself when he rarely gets given the ball near the box. He's only had 2 shots as the midfield aren't doing enough. You can't expect him to pick up the ball on the half way line and take on half the team. 

Let’s see how Kean copes then... I expect he’ll create more chances for himself.